A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Two questions

Two questions

Hi.

My brother not doing too well. only 8 months since diagnosis . question : what is wetting oneself ? is it a sign of getting worse ? is it part of a seizure. It hadnt happened before.

another question a friend who had a sister die from grade 3 astro asked. can a gbm start as a lower grade tumor before it gets bad enough to cause sympoms and be diagnosed like some other are... or does it start as a gbm ?

thanks

Moderator Top User
    So sorry, soulsong, this is an awful disease, hang on in there:

- depending on which part of the brain is affected, a huge variety of symptoms can occur and yes, this can include incontinence. It is not normally associated with seizures
    - some lower grade (2 or 3) tumours can progress to grade 4, but most GBMs are discovered as grade 4. It is thought that some develop as grade 4, while others progress through lower grades but do not show any symptoms till they are large and grade 4. As with many things to do with this disease, there is a lot that is not known.
    Wife died from a GBM, November 2012. The full story in this thread

Senior User
    Lori just recently started doing that......but then she tells me she did it afterwards. Very sad............:0(
    BFF Lori diagnosed Jan 2012 with GBM - radiation first (diagnosed inoperable)
    Surgery Sept 2012 - left side paralysis, left side blindness, rehab not successful, bedridden
    Recurrence Sept 2013
    Was on Avastin, Temodar, Etoposide until September 2014, now just on Avastin
    At rest and finally at peace on Good Friday, April 3, 2015

Super Moderator Top User
    Yeah

We got these waterproof bed pads from a medical supply store, about $30 each I think.

Quote Originally Posted by soulsong4ever View Post
    Hi.

My brother not doing too well. only 8 months since diagnosis . question : what is wetting oneself ? is it a sign of getting worse ? is it part of a seizure. It hadnt happened before.

another question a friend who had a sister die from grade 3 astro asked. can a gbm start as a lower grade tumor before it gets bad enough to cause sympoms and be diagnosed like some other are... or does it start as a gbm ?

thanks
    Question 1:
    My husband began to issues with bladder control a few months before he was diagnosed. When he had to go, he 'had' to go. After radiation, he began having bowel control issues as well, but only in the morning. His inoperable tumor is located in the corpus callosum both hemispheres. Incontinence is not a sign my husband is getting worse b/c it has been a symptom early on. If you have had a tumor diagnosed for a while and then get incontinence, I'd be more concerned about progression b/c it would be a new symptom.

Question #2 regarding low grade:
    This article addresses your question: Molecular Subtypes of Glioblastoma Are Relevant to Lower Grade Glioma
    Published: March 10, 2014
    DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0091216

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0091216

Quote Originally Posted by Houstonwife123 View Post
    Question 1:
    My husband began to issues with bladder control a few months before he was diagnosed. When he had to go, he 'had' to go. After radiation, he began having bowel control issues as well, but only in the morning. His inoperable tumor is located in the corpus callosum both hemispheres. Incontinence is not a sign my husband is getting worse b/c it has been a symptom early on. If you have had a tumor diagnosed for a while and then get incontinence, I'd be more concerned about progression b/c it would be a new symptom.

Question #2 regarding low grade:
    This article addresses your question: Molecular Subtypes of Glioblastoma Are Relevant to Lower Grade Glioma
    Published: March 10, 2014
    DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0091216

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0091216
    Too much information post

I found that on dexamethasone I have a hard time holding on once I know I have to go. I have to get to the toilet VERY fast once my brain says, "time to go pee." And this is only on the dex. I love love love my kotex pads. It's not a sign of tumor progression, because I don't have any progression. If I even think about peeing--like writing this post right now--I'm going to have to run and go. (See you in a minute.) Then when I sit down, I could just sit there for ages.

Next week I get to go from 2 mg dex a day to 1.5 in the tapering process. I asked my NP how long it will take for the hump on my back to go and for the moon face to go (and I am responsible for the 20 lbs); about two months. She told me that it's water being stored (a camel???), and that paradoxically I have to drink a lot more water for it to be released. So I expect that Kotex and I will be friends for much longer.

So....that's one idea about why "incontinence" might be happening.

Super Moderator Top User
    A camel! Yikes. Well, at least you are the ship of the desert, that is some consolation

Quote Originally Posted by GBMsibling View Post
    A camel! Yikes. Well, at least you are the ship of the desert, that is some consolation
    My moon face and eye bags scared my husband and son, who thought I was getting sicker. I had to show them pictures of dex moon faces on the web. I tried to convince them that I look like the Buddha, but the NP and I giggled when I told her, because given that dex makes one snappy and somewhat angry sometimes, so they aren't convinced (I'm the mad little Buddha......a new incarnation.... )

Super Moderator Top User
    Uh oh. Hope they manage to taper you off it soon, before you end up rebooting a major world religion.

Seriously, they've had you on it for an awfully long time, haven't they?

Quote Originally Posted by GBMsibling View Post
    Uh oh. Hope they manage to taper you off it soon, before you end up rebooting a major world religion.

Seriously, they've had you on it for an awfully long time, haven't they?
    Not so long.....I've been on since the mid-June "thundercloud" and have been tapering off since the mid-July "mist." I went from 4 mg in June and some of July to 3 mg for 2 weeks, then 2 mg for two weeks, and then it will be 1.5 for two, then I'm guessing 1 for 2, and then off!

Pretty sure this was their way of testing the hypothesis that the June thundercloud really was still psuedoprogression rather than tumor, and that hypothesis seems to have been validated, since by July it was the "mist." Swelling vastly reduced and didn't come back in the dex tapering--I know that for sure because of the way I feel (no painful eye socket, etc.)

So even if I'm a mad, fat little Buddha, it did it's job and now I'm almost done!