A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: CT Scan Results Question

Newbie New User

CT Scan Results Question

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about a CT scan result that I had the poor sense to google, which provided me with a wealth of bad news.

Let me give a quick snapshot of my medical history. I am 25 year old male. In 2011, I was diagnosed with Stage I seminoma (testicular) cancer. I treated it with surgery and radiation therapy. Earlier this year, I have a recurrence of the seminoma with a lung metastasis. I treated it with three cycles of the chemo regimen BEP (Bleomycin, Etoposide, and Cisplatin). The tumor completely resolved by my last CT scan in May, which was one month after the completion of chemo.

Regardless, a few weeks ago I developed a cough that was happening only at night and a sense of heaviness in my chest. Since it was new and in my lungs, I reported it to my oncologist. She wanted to just check out what was going on to be sure and moved up my surveillance tests scheduled for later that month, which involves lab work and a chest x-ray. Lab work came back normal and chest x-ray revealed a small spot on my lung. Because of the spot, my Oncologist said that while she was not concerned, she was obligated to do a CT scan at that point just to be sure.

CT scan results revealed that there was no spot but showed that my lungs had some new scarring, which is not strange after chemo especially with Bleomycin, which is particularly hard on the lungs. But it also revealed this:

"2. New nodular thickening along the left hemidiaphragm." It described it earlier in the report as: "There is new nodularity along the left hemidiaphragm on image 168." There was no mention of size, so I suspect it is very small.

My oncologist called to tell me that this was the case but saying she was not concerned and thought it was likely a result of scarring, too, though the the scarring was in the apex of my lungs. She said she was a bit unclear about the results and was going to call the radiologist to speak with him/her. That was two weeks ago and I am meeting with her tomorrow to discuss it at my regular check-up. However, I couldn't wait and I googled nodular thickening and what pops up is nodular pleural thickening and it has a whole serious of bad words that follow it, including malignancies.

So I am stressed and this post is half a vent and half an appeal for feed back. Does anyone know if a nodular thickening of the hemidiaphragm is different than a nodular pleural thickening of the hemidiaphragm. And should I be concerned?

Thank you in advance!

Your post was in moderation as all newbie posts of this type go into.
    I have approved your post so it now can be seen by our members and guests so hopefully you will start getting some responses from our. Very knowledgable people.

It just shows why we say don't use Dr Google as it has the ability to frighten the devil out of you.

Keep in mind we are not doctors and with this in mind I'd be more interested in hearing (if it was me) what your doctors say rather than what would be guesses from strangers.
    Good luck
    Barry
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    October -still the same pains but under semi control.
    Additional chest CT scan ordered for 11th November prior to surgery.
    Sinus surgery done and dusted.
    July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20, 23/08 now 8.2, current 8.1
    Prostate Cancer confirmed Gleason 3+Marginal 4.
    Active surveillance continues.
    PET CT Aug 2017 indicated lung nodule changes
    CT Guided biopsy 7/09
    November 1 Vats Wedge section pathology Glomulated previous infection
    no Cancer.

Not all's rosy in the garden, but see following.
    Stop grumbling Baz, your still alive and kicking so far.
    Age and illness doesn't define who we are, but more what we are able to do.
    Motto
    Do what I love doing, when I can until I can't.
    and dodging bullets in the meanwhile, too many bullets at moment.

Newbie New User
    Wanted to just chime back in on this, as I haven't been back much. I followed that CT scan with another one on November 11th. The nodule grew from 0.7 x 1.2 cm to 0.9 x 2.9 cm in two months. My onco ordered a biopsy on the 19th, and the results were in on that Friday. Biopsy confirmed what my Onco thought it was at that point: a recurrence of Seminoma.

I went for a second opinion at Indiana University Health with Dr. Einhorn. He recommended that I do two cycles high dose chemotherapy with stem cell transplant, which I decided to do. I am doing them inpatient at IU under his supervision. I go Sunday to begin the whole process and I am hopeful that this will be it!

What should I expect with the treatment? Every pamphlet I have read on the procedure says to set realistic expectations about recovery, so I am trying to do that!

Thanks,

C