A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Really Scared. 17mm endometrial thickening, polyps, on a 63 yr old wmn. Need to talk!

Hybrid View

Newbie New User

Really Scared. 17mm endometrial thickening, polyps, on a 63 yr old wmn. Need to talk!

My mom who I love more than anything in the world went to get a colonoscopy a few weeks ago. They did a CT scan to check something and noticed a shadow on an ovary. So she was sent for a Transvaginal and Abdominal Ultrasound. She then got a call from her Gyno to come in.

When she went in they said her Ovaries look good but that her Endometrial Uterine lining is 17mm's! It should be no more than 5mm since she is 63 years old and much past menopause. They also saw polyps on the cervix and possibly the uterus. They took a biopsy and took off a polyp to test. This all happened Tuesday and we are waiting on the results. I am so scared, as is she.

Can anyone give us advice? Has anyone ever heard of a 17mm lining not being cancer? Is that extremely thick and dangerous??? By the way she has had no bleeding. The only reason they saw this was by chance because of the colonoscopy.

If anyone has any experiences or advice I would love to hear them. I am really really worried. I don't want anything to happen to her.

Thank you all so much!

I have certainly heard of thickened endometrial linings being caused by things other than cancer. So I would not jump to the conclusion that she has cancer. You will just have to wait for the results, and waiting can be very difficult. The good news is that the ovaries look good! That's wonderful -- ovarian cancer is a lot more deadly than endometrial cancer. The other good news is that even if she does have endometrial cancer (and you do not know that she does), endometrial cancer is extremely curable. Being tested for cancer is of course very scary. But I think it is very likely that your mom is going to be just fine. I love hearing that you love her more than anything in the world. How nice to have such a good relationship! I hope all goes well for your mom and for you.
    Endometrial adenocarcinoma
    stage 1 (10% penetration of myometrium), grade 2
    daVinci hysterectomy March 2011
    No further treatment. Feeling great!

Newbie New User
    Thank you so much endosophie. I am really trying to be calm and wait. I just hope they don't go in and find even more issues. I forgot to mention they did a biopsy in the office but they want her to go immediately to get a hysteroscopy and D&C for further testing. They are putting her under to do this. Is this a common procedure? She should be scheduled for this within the week.

If the biopsy comes back positive for cancer, they are definitely going to want to do a hysterectomy. You should have results a week after the biopsy. If your mom does have cancer, it seems to me that she might want to skip the D&C and go directly to the hysterectomy. You might want to ask the doctors about that. The D&C is not exactly a pleasant experience, and why do it if you are going to take the uterus out anyway? It might also make sense to get a second opinion (quickly) from the best gyn-oncologist at the best cancer center in your area. You can have records forwarded, so the tests do not need to be repeated. I had 3 opinions (my regular gynecologist and 2 gyn oncologists) before my hysterectomy and I learned a lot. The doctors did not all have the same approach, so I think it pays to talk to more than one doctor if you can. If your mom needs a hysterectomy, make sure that her surgeon is a top gyn oncologist who has lots of experience with the daVinci hysterectomy.

The D&C/hysteroscopy is a very common procedure. I just don't understand why anyone would do it on someone who had already been diagnosed with cancer.
    Endometrial adenocarcinoma
    stage 1 (10% penetration of myometrium), grade 2
    daVinci hysterectomy March 2011
    No further treatment. Feeling great!

Newbie New User
    Here is an issue I am worried about. My mom has Kaiser Permanente, so I am not sure she has the option to go to a cancer center. Does anyone have experience with Kaiser? She is in Palmdale, ca but she is requesting everything to be done in Woodland Hills, ca where she had her colonoscopy. It seemed like a better hospital. I will definitely have her get 2nd opinions after her test results.

Thanks for all the info!

Don't rush ahead of yourself too much yet as you have no results that suggest cancer as yet.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016

Newbie New User
    Iím really scared. I also have 17 mm endometrial stripe but I have vaginal bleeding. Really scared

Experienced User
    @Par - It is normal to feel scared! But do remember that its not cancer until the pathology results are in. Hang in there friend! Our thoughts are with you.
    Intermediate Risk Endometriod Cancer: Stage 1a Grade 2 some lymphvascular space invasion, DaVinci surgery December 2014, Brachytherapy February 2015