A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Almost 2 Years A Survivor

Newbie New User

Almost 2 Years A Survivor

After a recent cancer scare, I began scouring the internet looking for somebody or something to talk to. After finding this site, I figured it's the perfect place to share my story.

In October 2012 I was diagnosed with stage 1B testicular cancer. I was 18. I was terrified. 8 days later, on Halloween I had an orchiectomy to remove the cancerous testicle and 2 months later I began chemotherapy. I was treated with 3 rounds of EP (etoposide and cisplatin). My side effects were not terrible; hair loss, puking, loss of appetite, permanent ringing in my ears.

Once officially declared cancer free I was partially able to push it from my mind, this was due to monthly blood checks and ct scans every 3 months. Now however, I am at ct scans every 6 months and blood work every 3 months.

On to my current issue. A few months ago I began experiencing lower back pain, I assumed it was just due to how much I work out and that I was pushing my body too hard. After a few rest days and lots of ice and ibuprofen it seemed slightly better. I began working out again. Now (about 5 months since the back pain began) it is still with me, worse than ever. It has spread to encompass more of my lower back and is with me at all times during the day. 2 days ago the pain spread to my neck and has not left yet. About 2 weeks ago my legs began to feel weak, no matter how long I rest or sit they tire extremely quickly. All this made me curious if my cancer has returned in another location.

Unfortunately I believe now that my cancer has returned, as yesterday I found a lump on my remaining testicle. It is about 1.5 cm across, hard and slightly movable.

This Friday I will be be getting am ultrasound on my solo ball, Saturday is my 6th month ct scan and bloodwork and Monday morning I will be meeting with my surgeon (my oncologist was not available until later this month).

I am curious to hear your thoughts on the symptoms up until the new found lump.

Thanks for reading
    -uniballer

Hello. I am so sorry that you are having this fear of recurrence.
    I have no knowledge of your particular cancer but I can sure relate to the fears we face afterwards when we have symptoms.
    It is such a frightening time and my fingers are crossed for you that it is something else. We are here for you. Good luck and please let us know how you go.

Sending a cyber hug from Australia.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016

Newbie New User
    Hi Uniballer,

I too am a testicular cancer survivor (seminoma) and I am also in recurrence. What ever happened with your lump? Did your onco see it?

It is very rare that testicular cancer spreads to the other testicle, however, all TC survivors carry about a 1% risk of developing a new primary TC in the other testicle.

As for your symptoms, those I cannot speak to. Pain isn't necessarily commonly associated with TC cancer, but I had discomfort when I was first diagnosed.

I see that this post is a little older, over a month, I hope you pop back on to let us all know how it went!

Conor