A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Non-HPV LSIL?

Non-HPV LSIL?

Hello,

4 months ago I received an ASCUS Pap smear result. My doctor proceeded with a repeat Pap smear and HPV typing. The original smear was done with the conventional method, the repeat using ThinPrep. I now have and LSIL result with no detection of HPV.

Is there such a thing as a non-HPV LSIL? Why was the progression from ASCUS to LSIL so rapid? Is this precancer?

Thanks!

Top User

LSIL and ASCUS

Nadja,

There is such thing as LSIL without HPV. While HPV is implicated in most forms of intraepithelial lesions, it is not always present. There is a chance that your LSIL may recede and go away, but there is also a (less likely) chance of progressing to a more advanced lesion. Regardless of what happens, you will need careful monitoring by your doctor.

best regards,
    Leo
    Leonardo F - Webmaster Cancer Forums
    Disclaimer: this information is for informational purposes only. It is not medical advice.

LSIL

Thank you very much for your prompt response, I really appreciate it. A colposcopy has been scheduled, fingers crossed.

Top User
    Nadja,

Perfect, that is exactly what you need: good care.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

best regards,
    Leo
    Leonardo F - Webmaster Cancer Forums
    Disclaimer: this information is for informational purposes only. It is not medical advice.

Newbie Regular User
    Just in case anyone finds this now, ASCUS is atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance, it basically means that there are cells that could be LSIL but there aren’t enough cells with abnormalities or the abnormalities aren’t severe enough to diagnose as LSIL, which is why repeat paps are very common.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Thank you for the information. To avoid any confusion, I am closing this 13 year old thread.