A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: esophageal cancer and chronic hiccups and nausea before chemo has even started

Newbie New User

esophageal cancer and chronic hiccups and nausea before chemo has even started

My 50 year old husband has been diagnosed with stage 3 EC with possible lymph node involvement - we are awaiting results. He will start chemo and radiation soon and then surgery. He has hiccups that are severe and come and go all day without relief and he is very sore. Also when he eats (soft foods of course), he gets nauseus and he said his diaphragm and stomach go into these spasms that are painful. He tries hot water bottles, Tylenol, breathing techniques but nothing works. Has anyone experienced this? He just lies on the couch moaning. I just wish I could help him.

Quote Originally Posted by momof2boys View Post
    My 50 year old husband has been diagnosed with stage 3 EC with possible lymph node involvement - we are awaiting results. He will start chemo and radiation soon and then surgery. He has hiccups that are severe and come and go all day without relief and he is very sore. Also when he eats (soft foods of course), he gets nauseus and he said his diaphragm and stomach go into these spasms that are painful. He tries hot water bottles, Tylenol, breathing techniques but nothing works. Has anyone experienced this? He just lies on the couch moaning. I just wish I could help him.
    My friend has the same thing... spread to the lungs.

He does not have chronic hiccups... but did get them. It is much better now since chemo. When they did come it was usually centered around eating followed by vomiting.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

I kept a water bottle near me constantly, and took a serioes of small sips without preathing to alleviate the hiccups. It wasn't a permanent solution, but it got me a couple of hours at a time.

Bartenders in Oz swear by a shot of straight red cordial. Cordial here is a flavoured sugar syrup that you add water to. For alcohol hiccups that just won't quit. I imagine though that swallowing a shot of it would be very difficult with his cancer

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=C...46%3B200%3B200
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016