A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Callories count!

Callories count!

I tell ya... it went totally against the grain... hunting though the store for the most calorie packed high fat foods i could lay my hands on.

im reading labels... not enough...not enough not enough....

ensure was just not enough...he was losing weight to fast.... and then i found it. It was a miracle worker for packing in the calories.

Hostess pies!

http://ascii.textfiles.com/wp-conten...ostess-pie.jpg

a whopping 480 calories and 180 fat in each one...... plus an ensure for a meal......woohoo.

sad to say ive bought more pies.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

That's good to know! Thanks!
    Diagnosed with stage 2c papillary serous cystadenoma borderline malignancy of the ovary in 2009. Hysterectomy, omenectomy, appendectomy, debulking.
    - 2010 - laparoscopy showed inoperable recurrence, so started chemo.
    - Frontline chemo - carboplatin and cyclophosphamide, six cycles
    - Additional chemo regimens: Avastin - ten cycles; Weekly Topotecan - 4 cycles.
    - Spring 2012 developed pleural nodules. Topotecan plus Avastin - 1year.
    - April, 2014, had surgery to remove Aspergillus infection from right lung.
    - September, 2015, started on Megace because my tumors are PR positive. Stopped Megace after three months.
    - September, 2016, hospitalized for shortness of breath and back pain.
    - September, 2016, respiratory failure reversed with prednisone. Maintaining on 50 mg Prednisone per day and supplemental O2.
    - October, 2016 left hospital with no supplemental oxygen. Feeling great! Will start tapering off the prednisone Oct. 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Serous2c View Post
    That's good to know! Thanks!
    it sure is..... i told the oncology nutritionist my find for packing in the calories... and she thought the same thing.... good to know!

would you ever in your life think you can never get enough ...... bacon?
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

LOL! Bacon is my friend. My oncologist gave me a referral to a registered dietician who works with cancer patients, and she advised adding heavy whipping cream to just about anything. It sure is delicious.
    Diagnosed with stage 2c papillary serous cystadenoma borderline malignancy of the ovary in 2009. Hysterectomy, omenectomy, appendectomy, debulking.
    - September, 2015, started on Megace because my tumors are PR positive. Stopped Megace after three months.
    - September, 2016, respiratory failure reversed with prednisone. Maintaining on 50 mg Prednisone per day and supplemental O2.
    - October, 2016 left hospital with no supplemental oxygen. Feeling great! Will start tapering off the prednisone Oct. 10.

LOL! Bacon is my friend. My oncologist gave me a referral to a registered dietician who works with cancer patients, and she advised adding heavy whipping cream to just about anything. It sure is delicious.

omg.... YES. heavy whipping cream, bacon and bacon grease, butter, peanut butter milkshakes..... all good.

do you need to pack in calories?

Only I will remain.

I'm trying to hold my weight steady. I had a huge weight loss before I was diagnosed. I regained that weight, but now I'm losing again. I have a partial small bowel obstruction and no appetite. The solution for the partial SBO is a mostly fluid diet, and that works, but it sure gets boring.

I'm trying to hold my weight steady. I had a huge weight loss before I was diagnosed. I regained that weight, but now I'm losing again. I have a partial small bowel obstruction and no appetite. The solution for the partial SBO is a mostly fluid diet, and that works, but it sure gets boring.
    losing weight not so good. A few extra pounds never hurt anyone

ssooo... soups will work! Oh trust me.... i can put 10 pounds you with soup. Milkshakes, custards and puddings, ice cream!! I know it gets boring but ya got to work with what you have.

Do you have any other dietary issues? And.... have you asked for an appetite stimulant?

Only I will remain.

I tried Marinol, but it did nothing for my appetite. I had a consult with a GI doctor last year, and he said the problem is general lack of motility in the small intestine because the tumors are growing on the nerves that control the bowel. I always feel full because I am full -- the food just sits there for a long, long time, and the digestive juices back up into my stomach. The really frustrating thing is that when I eat something I shouldn't eat the pain and vomiting may hit two or three days after I've eaten the problem food. Anyway, I agree, soup is good. Adding a dollop of (cold) sour cream to a cream soup is very good.

I'm lucky that I don't have any other dietary problems -- no diabetes, no hypertension, etc. Thank you for the tips!

I tried Marinol, but it did nothing for my appetite. I had a consult with a GI doctor last year, and he said the problem is general lack of motility in the small intestine because the tumors are growing on the nerves that control the bowel. I always feel full because I am full -- the food just sits there for a long, long time, and the digestive juices back up into my stomach. The really frustrating thing is that when I eat something I shouldn't eat the pain and vomiting may hit two or three days after I've eaten the problem food. Anyway, I agree, soup is good. Adding a dollop of (cold) sour cream to a cream soup is very good.

I'm lucky that I don't have any other dietary problems -- no diabetes, no hypertension, etc. Thank you for the tips!
    Marinol was my first suggestion. Full on medical marihuana is my next suggestion.

What is on the shouldn't eat list if i may ask. Another suggestion i would give is to invest in a Vitamix blender.... My husband bought me one out of the blue and i was very happy... and wondered what in the world was i going to with that be thing...lol. I never dreamed i was going to be giving it the workout of its life when i was called on to make a my friend a liquid diet.

Are you up to a bit of cooking? Ive got a great cream of potato soup... that you can pump up to loaded. Sour cream, cheddar cheese and bacon. Very tasty....and calorie packed.

I am sorry about the intestinal issue, for that i have no suggestions as i am not versed in that problem.

Only I will remain.

I'm a very reluctant cook, especially because a few ounces of whatever will fill me up. The best solution for me is to sip on nutritious fluids all day long -- the body processes fluids quicker and fluids are not likely to cause an obstruction. At this point I really don't want to have a big appetite, since eating solid food can make me so sick, and I end up feeling I've been punished for eating. Yogurt, ice cream, sour cream, butter all count as liquids, which is nice.

The general rule with small bowel obstruction is to avoid fiber -- small meals of low fiber foods and lots of nutritious liquids are recommended. They say to avoid small seeds, nuts, fibrous veggies, raw veggies. I love vegetables, especially raw, but I don't dare indulge much of that now. I just try to make sure everything I eat or drink is packed with nutrients and calories, and keep sipping away all day. My weight has been steady for the past 6 months, which is an achievement, and I found some really good concentrated protein drinks. I've always had trouble getting myself to eat enough protein.

The diet instructions for partial small bowel obstructions emphasize avoiding fiber and large portions, but I'm finding that doesn't cover all the bases. The diets say white bread and potatoes are fine, but I've been getting very sick when I eat white bread and nearly as sick when I eat potatoes. I think for me it's not just a matter of wanting the food to move through the small bowel -- it's also a question of what the small bowel can and can't absorb.

Canned fruits are generally okay for a low-fiber diet, and I figure the Hostess pies are essentially canned fruit wrapped in a pastry, so I will pick some up at the store. I used to love the tart cherry Hostess pies.

You're wonderful to help your friend with the liquid diet! How many calories does your friend need each day? I'm short and if I can get about 1500 calories a day that maintains my weight (currently 105 lb), so for me it's do-able.

I think MacDonald's may have cleaned up its act a bit, but when they first revealed the calorie content of their food their triple-vanilla milkshake was more than 2,000 calories. I do a MacDonald's shake sometimes. Tip -- peanut butter mixes really well with ice cream, either in a shake or cut into the cold ice cream for a sundae. During the year when I could eat anything and wanted to regain a lot of weight I concocted a hot fudge sundae that had 2,200 calories and 29 grams of protein (lots of peanut butter and nuts on top!). LOL, I had fun gaining weight. My green salads were hitting 900 calories with lots of avocados and sunflower kernels in them. I gained about 50 pounds!