A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Endometrial cancer before menopause

Endometrial cancer before menopause

Hi,

I was diagnosed a month ago with well-differentiated endometroid adenacarcinoma- grade 1. This was discovered after a removal of multiple polyps from my uterus three weeks ago via hysteroscopy and dilation & curettage. I met with my gynecologic oncologist who immediately recommended a total hysterectomy. I am 38. My life partner and I were hoping to have a child together. He and I were waiting for the right time in our careers to start trying. We told the oncologist this. She said that she typically does not recommend that route but since my hormone levels checked out okay. She said that I can do megestrol 160 mg a day for 3 months then a dilation & curettage to make sure all is ok. Then we will be given a three-month window to try to get pregnant. Total hysterectomy would be done after that point or immediately after the birth of the baby.

I did CT scan last week too. She said that she did not see anything other than a thick uterus and two fibroids that were in there before. No spread. Thus, she cannot stage my cancer at this time.

I am on the fence. I see that having total hysterectomy would make sense especially if I can prevent it from spreading further and avoid chemotherapy & radiation if possible. However, I am nervous about surgical menopause and the higher risk of bone loss.

If I do have a baby, that could be rewarding but also a risky one as I am giving the cancer more time.

I haven't met any woman who has endometrial cancer before menopause AND tried to get pregnant. Nor have I met any woman who had endometrial cancer before menopause and how she dealt with surgical menopause. I am hoping to find them here. I would like to learn more about their experiences to help me figure out what the best steps are for me.

Thanks!

Naomi

Hello, welcome. I am so sorry that you have the need to seek us out. Something is ringing a bell here.
    If my memory serves me correctly a poster by the name of Special Magic or some other way of writing her screen name was in a similar situation. Her threads will be back through the pages or you can go to the member's list under community at the top of your screen, find her there, click her name and view forum posts.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016

Thanks, Didee. Read her posts. Good information.

Newbie New User
    I ws just diagnosed with this before menapause. I am 44. I am going to have the hysterectomy becuse I'm done with children.

MrsScott I am closing this old thread so it does not get confusing. I encourage you to start your own thread. Welcome to the forum.
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED