A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: 21 y/o female, diagnosed with Papillary Carcinoma Thyroid Cancer

21 y/o female, diagnosed with Papillary Carcinoma Thyroid Cancer

Has anybody here been diagnosed with Papillary Carcinoma Thyroid Cancer that has affected the surrounding lymph nodes? My 21 y/o cousin was diagnosed and her thyroid along with lymph nodes were removed less than a month ago. The pathology report showed several nodules on the thyroid (2 on the left node 2x1x1 cm in size, and several on the right node with the biggest one being 2.5x2x1 cm). The lymph nodes removed some are tumor compromised, and some have extranodal extension. She's having a 2nd surgery to remove more of the surrounding tissue affected (more lymph nodes I assume). If anyone has experience/knowledge about this please share with me. She is currently very worried about having to undergo chemo, although I have done a lot of reading and they do mostly treatment with iodine. 

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Do you provide care for your cousin ?
    Age 60
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011

NED AND DECLARED CURED on the 2/01/2013

No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

No, unfortunately we're not together. she lives in Colombia and I in the U.S., so she's under her mom's care

Quote Originally Posted by kingsdaughter View Post
    Has anybody here been diagnosed with Papillary Carcinoma Thyroid Cancer that has affected the surrounding lymph nodes? My 21 y/o cousin was diagnosed and her thyroid along with lymph nodes were removed less than a month ago. The pathology report showed several nodules on the thyroid (2 on the left node 2x1x1 cm in size, and several on the right node with the biggest one being 2.5x2x1 cm). The lymph nodes removed some are tumor compromised, and some have extranodal extension. She's having a 2nd surgery to remove more of the surrounding tissue affected (more lymph nodes I assume). If anyone has experience/knowledge about this please share with me. She is currently very worried about having to undergo chemo, although I have done a lot of reading and they do mostly treatment with iodine. 
    Her endocrinologist should be able to tell her about what post surgery radiation treatment is appropriate, but from everything my docs are telling me the "great" thing about thyroid cancer is chemo is unnecessary and a radioactive iodine pill is the post op treatment. I just had my thyroid removed one month ago today and they also removed 10 para-thyroid lymph nodes...2 of which had a very small cancerous mass. My treatment is the radioactive iodine pill, no chemo. I don't know if her followup surgery is to remove what my surgeon did on the initial surgery or if she has additional problems, but she shouldn't have to worry about chemo in silence, tell her to ask her endocrinologist!!!