A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why am I so worried?

Newbie New User

Why am I so worried?

So for about 7 months I have been complaining of a sore throat that seemed to come and go, but never quite leave. I am able to eat easily and I only seem to have a scratchy feeling and sometimes some hoarseness to my voice.

Went to the ENT twice and he said that he didn't find anything, but on the second visit he agreed to schedule a MRI because he thought it may be more muscle related.

Around the same time I was seeing a GI and I tested positive for H Pylori. He scheduled a Endoscopy and after that was done nothing was found in my throat or stomach, but some inflammation and no H Pylori from the biopsy

Anyways, on the day of the MRI my throat was a bit sore, but I didn't think anything of it. A week and a half later I got the following results from my doctor.

The MRI of the neck shows:
    1) borderline enlarged lymph nodes on each side of the deep neck, next to the carotid arteries (2.6 x 0.9 cm right, 1.7 x 0.9 left).
    2) In addition there are some small nodules noted within the thyroid gland.

Recommendations:
    1) although the MRI is not suggestive of cancer, I would recommend consultation with one of our head and neck cancer surgeons to discuss the findings of the enlarged lymph nodes on the MRI and if they hav any other recommendations for further testing/work-up. My nurse will be in touch to schedule that consultation
    2) A dedicated thyroid ultrasound which is the best imaging test to look at thyroid nodules. An order has been placed to radiology for the thyroid ultrasound. The results will be forwarded once they are available.

I have copied the MRI report below for your records.

CLINICAL HISTORY: Reason: patient with recurrent throat irritation
    and feeling of mass in neck right side, examination is benign CREAT
    0.94 01/16/2015 GFR 88 01/16/2015
    COMPARISON: No previous study available for comparison.
    TECHNIQUE: Study performed per protocol.
    CONTRAST: 10ml of MAGNEVIST-GADOLINIUM was given on 2/17/2015
    3:10:00 PM by route: INTRAVENOUS
    FINDINGS:
    No discrete mass lesion or abnormal collection is identified. There
    are bilateral top normal sized lymph nodes along the carotid chains
    and adjacent to the carotid bulbs. For example a lymph node adjacent
    to the right carotid bulb measures 2.6 cm in length by 0.9 cm in
    short axis. A lymph node on the left in the carotid chain near the
    bulb measures 1.7 x 0.9 cm. Tiny lymph nodes are seen in the
    remainder of the neck. The larynx appear normal. There is mildly
    heterogeneous and nodular thyroid gland.
    The vessels enhance normally.
    The visualized portion of the brain is unremarkable.
    IMPRESSION:
    Few top normal/borderline enlarged lymph nodes along the carotid
    bulbs. Otherwise, MR evaluation of the neck with and without
    intravenous contrast appears within normal limits. Heterogeneous and
    mildly nodular thyroid gland.

The ENT doctor followed up with this email a few days later.

My head and neck oncology colleagues have recommended that a biopsy be performed of the right neck lymph node prior to seeing you. The best way to achieve this without open surgery is to undergo a CT guided needle biopsy by the interventional radiology department. I will go ahead and put in the request for you.

I know that I shouldn't be to worried, but reading the internet has made me a bit worried especially when I found out that my wife had HPV at one point.

I have a ultrasound for the thyroid in a week and then the CT scan biopsy a couple
    of days after that. I am a nervous wreck and the wait to get these done makes it worse.

Any suggestions or comments would help.

Thank you for reading

hey there brisal

my very best suggestion would be to stay off of google looking for "the answers" All it will do is make you insane crazy.

From what i am reading...and i am not a doctor....At this point they are telling you that you do not have cancer. What they are suggesting is that you look into it further. In my opinion that is very good.... no stones unturned to so speak.

Hang in there and try and relax. Wait to see the results of the CT scan and biopsy.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

Yep, my take on the readings as well. Checking out the node and doing a thyroid u/s is being very proactive to try and sort things out if there is anything to sort. The Thyroid scans are excellent at deciding if a nodule looks hot or cold. They were pretty sure on the reading of it that my nodule was fine and we only did further tests due to my cancer history which proved beyond all doubt that it was indeed benign. Best of luck and in your shoes I would be relieved and looking on these tests as a way of definitely ruling any nasties out even though they think there is the greatest probability that there are none.

Looking forward to you telling us that you are in the all clear regarding any cancers. Good luck and hang in there.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016

Brisal, Shaww and Didee have given the best responses. Of course you are worried, those sorts of reports coming from a Doc would worry anyone. I agree with Shaww, don't google it. Maybe later to help define words that are used, but that can be very misleading. Best advice here is to follow the Doc's leads and let them use their expertise. They have seen these sorts of things before and have the knowledge and training to steer you in the right direction.

It seems to me they are pursuing the matter. Hardest part now, wait for testing, wait for results... all takes time and you will just want to know now! I get that, we have all been there.

Take a deep breath and step back. Work on your own good physical conditioning. Being in the best shape you can be as things move forward will be helpful. Not to mention, helps your own good health.

d
    MyJourney:
    August 2004 Colonoscopy Clear
    June-July 2013 Abdominal Discomfort Upper Abdomen X-ray, UltraSound, CTScan all clear
    8.23.13 Diagnosed 5cm tumor on rectum wall: adenocarcinoma @age 66
    Aug-Sept2013 Met with Surgeon,Hematologist and Radiation oncologist
    Oct.-Nov.: Xeloda concurrent with radiation: 25 doses
    November CTScan, MRI and surgeon scoped: Tumor gone, scar tissue
    1.6.14 Surgery LAR: Rectum removed, sphincter remains: Pathology: no lymph node,
    Tumor downgraded from Possible T3 to T2
    Feb. - April Chemo:5 FU and Oxilaplatin:6 infusions over 14 weeks
    9.4.14 ColonoscopyClear,CT Clear
    Dec.14 Follow up BlWk +,CEA .9
    Mar.15Follow up BlWk +,CEA .6
    June.15 Follow up BlWk +,CEA .7
    Sept2015Followup BlWk + CEA .7 CTScanClear NED
    Dec2015SurgicalHerniaRepair
    Sept2016Followup BlWk + CEA .7 CTScanClear NED
    Sept-Oct2017Followup All clear NED
    Sept-Oct2018CTScan+Clear Bldwk+
    Mar2019Bldwk+NED
    Continue ColoRectal Support Group monthly

Newbie New User
    Update...
    On 3/11 I went in for my thyroid ultrasound. They found some small nodules on the right and one bigger one on the left and took a biopsy of the left side. I am now waiting for my results.

Today 3/13 I went in for my Ct scan biopsy for my right lymph node. 5 minutes before I was about to be rolled in they told me that the procedure was delayed due to an emergency that came in and that I would need to reschedule or wait another 4 hours.
    They then came in to tell me that the radiologist wasn't comfortable in doing the biopsy since it wasn't needed at this time. I'm assuming he saw the MRI and decided against it. The ENT was the one that told me and he said we should wait for the thyroid results and then see the oconolgist after that. Keep in mind that oconoligist was the one who recommended the biopsy in the first place.

This is so frustrating. any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by brisal View Post
    Update...
    On 3/11 I went in for my thyroid ultrasound. They some small nodules on the right and one bigger one on the left and took a biopsy of the left side. I am now waiting for my results.

Today 3/13 I went in for my Ct scan biopsy for my right lymph node. 5 minutes before I was about to be rolled in they told me that the procedure was delayed due to an emergency that came in and that I would need to reschedule or wait another 4 hours.
    They then came in to tell me that the radiologist wasn't comfortable in doing the biopsy since it wasn't needed at this time. I'm assuming he saw the MRI and decided against it. The ENT was the one that told me and he said we should wait for the thyroid results and then see the oconolgist after that. Keep in mind that oconoligist was the one who recommended the biopsy in the first place.

This is so frustrating. any recommendations?
    my best recommendation is to just breathe and roll with it.

Its annoying, frustrating and down right maddening to have to wait....and wait...and wait.

hang in there.....
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

Brisal , it is very difficult to wait, especially after you have prepared for the test. Hang in there. It is helpful to remind ourselves that, while these are professional people working on us, they are making judgements and often extra eyes help them too to make the right decision, the best decision for us. Be patient (I know, easy for me to say), know they are wanting what is best for you.
    d
    MyJourney:
    June-July 2013 Abdominal Discomfort Upper Abdomen X-ray, UltraSound, CTScan all clear
    1.6.14 Surgery LAR: Rectum removed, sphincter remains: Pathology: no lymph node,
    Mar2019Bldwk+NED
    Continue ColoRectal Support Group monthly

Quote Originally Posted by Doug K View Post
    Brisal , it is very difficult to wait, especially after you have prepared for the test. Hang in there. It is helpful to remind ourselves that, while these are professional people working on us, they are making judgements and often extra eyes help them too to make the right decision, the best decision for us. Be patient (I know, easy for me to say), know they are wanting what is best for you.
    d

I tell ya though.... i would rather wait then have them want to do something instantly..... Its the do it now....fast.. right away crap that always was the worst for me becasue i knew it what ever it was... it was bad.

For all that waiting sucks..... wanting stuff fast is worse.

Only I will remain.

Newbie New User
    Ultrasound for thyroid biopsy came back benign.
    Followup ultrasound in 6 months.
    Next Friday I meet with a onconologist about the lymph node.

Quote Originally Posted by brisal View Post
    Ultrasound for thyroid biopsy came back benign.
    Followup ultrasound in 6 months.
    Next Friday I meet with a onconologist about the lymph node.
    Good news, sounds to me. Keep us posted, wishing you the best.. Shaww's right patience is the catch word, it will all come together as is should.
    doug
    MyJourney:
    Mar2019Bldwk+NED