A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Need answers about my dad's cancers, please!

Newbie New User

Need answers about my dad's cancers, please!

Four years ago my dad was diagnosed with colon cancer. He had his colon removed and now has a colostomy bag. A year ago he was diagnosed with a rare form of bladder cancer. It's in the urethra between the bladder and the prostate. It took the doctor almost a year to find it. It spread to his pelvic bone. Chemo and radiology. Two months ago he was then diagnosed with hip cancer in both hips. Well, he broke a hip and had emergency hip replacement surgery. Of course now he's not able to go through chemo because of the healing process. He tells me that his "counts" are at 80 (5 is normal?) and that it's "all over". Can someone please tell me what "his counts are 80" means? He's very closed off about it and I feel like I'm not getting the whole story...

Thanks in advance!

Senior User
    Sorry to hear about your father. My guess is that the mets spread to his hips. It's not a third cancer in the hips, is it? I guess about the counts that it's some blood counts, what other counts can it be? Hopefully he will be back to chemo again. Where are you? There are clinical trials for advanced bladder cancer with PD1-L1 inhibitors.
    66y female, dx @43 in 1992 - DLBCL (aggressive lymphoma) CHOP x 6, rads x 20. 2007- Follicular Lymphoma (FL) grade1-2, stage 2, rads x 20. 2013 relapsed FL, grade 1-2, stage 4. R-bendamustine x 6. Finished Jan 2015. Rituxan maintenance till 2017. 11/2014 bladder cancer, surgery end of Jan 2015.