A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tumor Found in Colon

Moderator Top User Fourlegsgood's Avatar
    SadandScared

The fact that they have scheduled surgery before doing the CT scan indicates to me that they are pretty sure it is confined to the colon. Normally after diagnosis they do a CT scan, wait for the results and then consider surgery.

Also, by saying that you might not need chemo they are even considering that it might be stage 1. They will not really know whether it is stage 1, 2 or 3 until after the operation and they have been able to see what has grown where. Don't get too fussed about which it is. They are all eminently treatable.

Although you will be having the dreaded colon clear out stuff before your operation, don't be too stuck on eating healthy foods in the days leading up to the operation. It's quite a good idea to 'load' your body with fuel for the up and coming operation and recovery. I was actually given loaded drinks by the hosp to do this but most high calorie high nutrient foods are good.

At least it is all happening quite quickly so there isn't too much time to dwell on things.

Nick
    Age 1/2 way to 120 plus 1. Symptom of blood in stools May 2011. Colonoscopy June 2011 confirmed rectal cancer. CT scan June 2011 showed no spread to other organs. Anterior resection July 2011 plus 50% bowel removed due to thickening observed during operation. Biopsy confirmed stage 2 in rectum only. Completed 8 cycles of precautionary capecitabine (4600mg Xeloda). Returned to horse riding 6 weeks post op, jumping 2weeks later and first competition 2 weeks after that. July 2012 - CT scan clear. June 2014 - CT scan clear. December 2014 - Colonoscopy clear. July 2017 - 6 year CT scan clear.

SadandScared

I will attempt to do battle with the technology of the forum and move your thread to the Colon Cancer section where hopefully you will get more support and help on your journey.

Nick
    Age 1/2 way to 120 plus 1. Symptom of blood in stools May 2011. Colonoscopy June 2011 confirmed rectal cancer. CT scan June 2011 showed no spread to other organs. Anterior resection July 2011 plus 50% bowel removed due to thickening observed during operation. Biopsy confirmed stage 2 in rectum only. Completed 8 cycles of precautionary capecitabine (4600mg Xeloda). Returned to horse riding 6 weeks post op, jumping 2weeks later and first competition 2 weeks after that. July 2012 - CT scan clear. June 2014 - CT scan clear. December 2014 - Colonoscopy clear. July 2017 - 6 year CT scan clear.

Thank you for you responses. Just waking up to night sweats and trying to not get down on myself.

Quote Originally Posted by SadandScared View Post
    Thank you for you responses. Just waking up to night sweats and trying to not get down on myself.
    Thats normal! It is not fun (slight understatement).

It is very difficult to adjust to the new normal of dealing with cancer. But just treat it like any other illness. I was actually looking forward to my operation because then the thing would be out and I could start recovering and moving on.

Nick

I am looking forward to my surgery. Monday can't get here quick enough! I ready to start recovery and moving on. I hope and pray that it's only contained in the colon that is being removed. Im ready! How often does one receive CT after resection?

The frequency of post operative CT scans depends on which country you are in and the individual consultant and your own treatment path.

Look at my signature for me and you will see that I had one a year after the operation and then another one two years later. My consultant said that there was no benefit (for me) in having them more frequently.

Nick

Top User
    sadandscared, glad to read that there is a plan of action in place---surgery and resection. Details of where you are and results of future tests will help you get more responses to any questions. Keep yourself as busy as possible to help the time go more quickly. Just know there are many who read and send good wishes for a very successful surgery. Awaiting your results.

Amanda
    Caregiver to son, 32 , 5/18/2011 Stage IV
    Sigmoid colectomy , liver biopsy 5/18/2011
    6cm sigmoid tumor, low grade (well-to-mod. differentiated)
    6 of 33 lymph nodes +
    FOLFOX /Avastin 6/2011-8/2011
    Rt hepatectomy on 9/20/2011---70%
    FOLFOX /Avastin 4 cycles 1/31 stopped-low platelets
    3/5 CT clear
    4/ PET scan showed peritoneal mets
    4/24 splenic embolization for low platelets
    FOLFIRI/ Avastin 5/12-8/12
    Consult for HIPEC 8/12 denied---tumors too many, possibly in ureter.
    5FU/ Avastin 8/2012-2/2013
    12/5/12 scan tumors stable
    12/12 aranespt
    3/5 tumor progression in abdomin
    Restart FOLFIRI/ Avastin with lower dose of Irinotecan 3/11-3/25
    nuelasta shots
    ER - bowel obstruction 4/4
    Port removed 4/12
    Port replaced 5/9
    ER 30 hrs
    Erbitux in, Irinotecan lowered 5/20 & 6/17
    9/17scan indicates stable
    9/18-27 & 10/7-11 small bowel obst.
    Erbitux & Irinotecan 11/5, 12/2
    Bowel obst. 12/31
    1/8 urether stent
    1/17 Hospice
    3/27 started his heavenly journey

S&S, as I read your thread, the situation seems to be moving along rapidly. That is mos likely due to your age and catching things early. There will be much more to go on following the surgery.

Drink lots of water post surgery and get up and moving as quickly as you can. Good luck and do let us know how things go.
    d
    MyJourney:
    August 2004 Colonoscopy Clear
    June-July 2013 Abdominal Discomfort Upper Abdomen X-ray, UltraSound, CTScan all clear
    8.23.13 Diagnosed 5cm tumor on rectum wall: adenocarcinoma @age 66
    Aug-Sept2013 Met with Surgeon,Hematologist and Radiation oncologist
    Oct.-Nov.: Xeloda concurrent with radiation: 25 doses
    November CTScan, MRI and surgeon scoped: Tumor gone, scar tissue
    1.6.14 Surgery LAR: Rectum removed, sphincter remains: Pathology: no lymph node,
    Tumor downgraded from Possible T3 to T2
    Feb. - April Chemo:5 FU and Oxilaplatin:6 infusions over 14 weeks
    9.4.14 ColonoscopyClear,CT Clear
    Dec.14 Follow up BlWk +,CEA .9
    Mar.15Follow up BlWk +,CEA .6
    June.15 Follow up BlWk +,CEA .7
    Sept2015Followup BlWk + CEA .7 CTScanClear NED
    Dec2015SurgicalHerniaRepair
    Sept2016Followup BlWk + CEA .7 CTScanClear NED
    Sept-Oct2017Followup All clear NED
    Sept-Oct2018CTScan+Clear Bldwk+
    Mar2019Bldwk+NED
    Continue ColoRectal Support Group monthly

You guys have been such a big help to me. I'm 36 year old female with 3 children. The surgeon told my son that he will need to begin his colonoscopy at 25. That made me feel good. At least they can get in the routine of having it checked. I do believe that this should be done at a much earlier age. I found a co-worker who was in a similar situation as mine. She have a good portion on her colon removed/resection and said she was fine after that. Granted she has to go check her check up yearly now. I have been trying to stay busy cleaning the house and doing normal. Sometimes my mind gets the best of me. I will let you all know my update once I get home from the surgery.

Good luck with the operation. I do not know what country you are in or what sort of ward you be on but I found that an ipod and earphones was invaluable for getting some sleep at night (although I had to be woken through the night to check on extent of the area affected by my epidural).

Nick