A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tumor Found in Colon

Tumor Found in Colon

Hello,
    I am new here. I am one of those people who uses google for more information. This gets me all worked up and even more depressed. I am in my 30's and I just had my colonoscopy completed this past Thursday. I was having a tender to the touch pain in my lower left ab. Was thinking I had symptoms of IBS. They thought it could have been either my lower left colon or a cyst on my ovary or even endometriosis. (My ob/gyn confirmed everything was fine and she even did an internal ultrasound.) The doctor removed a polyp and said that he also found a tumor that may be cancerous. He is having a biopsy done on it. Regardless he said that it has to be removed. My follow up appointment is this coming Tuesday which seems like forever to me. I was wondering can a tumor found be non-cancerous and this procedure to remove it is a precautionary procedure? I'm trying not to panic but I have anxiety to the fullest. I hadn't lost my appetite, lost weight, blood work came back normal as well as my stool sample, prior to the colonoscopy. I am so scared.

Moderator Top User Fourlegsgood's Avatar
    Hello SadandScared,

You know what I'm going to say.

STOP using Google. You yourself say that this gets you all worked up and scared. You may think that you are doing the sensible thing by doing some background research but in reality all you are doing is filling your head with scare stories.

I suppose it is not impossible that the tumour might not be cancerous but the guys who do the colonoscopies usually know pretty well what they are looking at.

The good thing is that these are normally pretty slow growing and also colon cancer (if that is what it is) is one of the more treatable cancers.

So, difficult as it may be, wait until they get the biopsy back. Then, if it is not benign, they will usually do a scan to see if the cancer is confined to the colon. Depending on this the doctors will work out a treatment plan. All of this takes time. Often weeks. Do not panic at the time taken. Remember that the tumour has probably taken years to get to the size it is now. A few more weeks is neither here nor there but is necessary to get the right treatment plan in place for you.

Lets all cross our fingers and hope it is benign but even if it is not. DO NOT PANIC.

You do not say how fit you are but certainly age is on your side. If you are able, why not use the next few weeks to increase your fitness. If nothing else it will give you something to aim for and when the time for the operation comes it will enable you to recover faster. Exercise really is a miracle drug when it comes to colon cancer.

Please keep us informed and please do ask any questions you want. We do not mind and would prefer this to having you hang out with Dr Google.

Nick
    Age 1/2 way to 120 plus 1. Symptom of blood in stools May 2011. Colonoscopy June 2011 confirmed rectal cancer. CT scan June 2011 showed no spread to other organs. Anterior resection July 2011 plus 50% bowel removed due to thickening observed during operation. Biopsy confirmed stage 2 in rectum only. Completed 8 cycles of precautionary capecitabine (4600mg Xeloda). Returned to horse riding 6 weeks post op, jumping 2weeks later and first competition 2 weeks after that. July 2012 - CT scan clear. June 2014 - CT scan clear. December 2014 - Colonoscopy clear. July 2017 - 6 year CT scan clear.

My Doctor just said that he found a tumor and it may be cancerous. The fact that he said that it may be cancerous, that's what has me on pins and needles.

Moderator Top User Fourlegsgood's Avatar
    When I had my colonoscopy the Dr said that he had to send the biopsy sample off for testing but that he had never seen a tumour like mine that didn't turn out to be cancer.

We have been there. We do know what you are going through. It is horrible. But just try to rationalise it by saying to yourself that if it does turn out to be cancer you are LUCKY because it has been found. The worse scenario is when it is only found when it has got so big it has blocked the colon.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. But don't prepare by talking to Dr Google. He will predict you are dead before the week is out or some such scare story.

Have you been told when to expect the biopsy results?

Nick
    Age 1/2 way to 120 plus 1. Symptom of blood in stools May 2011. Colonoscopy June 2011 confirmed rectal cancer. CT scan June 2011 showed no spread to other organs. Anterior resection July 2011 plus 50% bowel removed due to thickening observed during operation. Biopsy confirmed stage 2 in rectum only. Completed 8 cycles of precautionary capecitabine (4600mg Xeloda). Returned to horse riding 6 weeks post op, jumping 2weeks later and first competition 2 weeks after that. July 2012 - CT scan clear. June 2014 - CT scan clear. December 2014 - Colonoscopy clear. July 2017 - 6 year CT scan clear.

They told me results should be in between 7-10 days. My follow-up is Tuesday. He said that he needs to go ahead and remove it. I am unsure of the size of the tumor, as he really didn't say much to us after the procedure. No details just some pictures and an aftercare packet. Tuesday will be here before I know it and I am hoping and praying for the best case scenario.

Nick covered everything I would have said.
    Tell me, how without biopsy results and CT scan does your doc say it has to come out.
    Normally (unless a tumour is blocking the colon and it is classified as a emergency, which yours doesn't seem to be ) docs wait until. They have ALL the necessary clinical information before they remove anything apart from polyps.
    I'd try and calm down and stop getting ahead of the situation.
    There are many questions you need to ask ONCE the biopsy results are in, but why the apparent headlong rush "to get it out" baffles me.
    It's like driving a car with no steering wheel or brakes to go in without all the data.
    I somehow doubt your doc would dive in head first without any of the essential clinical information.
    Good luck and let's know how you get on.
    Barry
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    October -still the same pains but under semi control.
    Additional chest CT scan ordered for 11th November prior to surgery.
    Sinus surgery done and dusted.
    July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20, 23/08 now 8.2, current 8.1
    Prostate Cancer confirmed Gleason 3+Marginal 4.
    Active surveillance continues.
    PET CT Aug 2017 indicated lung nodule changes
    CT Guided biopsy 7/09
    November 1 Vats Wedge section pathology Glomulated previous infection
    no Cancer.

Not all's rosy in the garden, but see following.
    Stop grumbling Baz, your still alive and kicking so far.
    Age and illness doesn't define who we are, but more what we are able to do.
    Motto
    Do what I love doing, when I can until I can't.
    and dodging bullets in the meanwhile, too many bullets at moment.

Thanks I will keep you updated. He is suppose to go over some things with me on Tuesday so I will post updated information then. I thought the whole things wasn't explained to us in detail. Just very minimum information. This is what started my research and then I found this forum. I use to have pain occasionally after I eat...something like IBS, not every day. Since I have had my procedure, I am okay when I am eating now. The tumor was found to be in the lower left abdomen. I had the passing of the brown gel (i know it's disgusting). I was never constipated, had diarrhea, lost appetite, lost weight. No symptoms but the occasional cramping after I ate. He first thought it could be diverticulitis.

I really appreciate you all responding and helping me put things into perspective.

Top User
    Sad and Scared, welcome to our forum. Good advice and great people. Each comes here with different experiences. I was a caregiver to my son whose story is in my signature. The learning curve is very tough in the beginning for non-medical people. I did use google and it did not scare me. I looked at reputable sites and medical journals. I needed to know the facts as much as possible. Please keep us updated and share, if you feel comfortable, where you are being treated and details as they come available. Prayer /good wishes for this journey.

Amanda
    Caregiver to son, 32 , 5/18/2011 Stage IV
    Sigmoid colectomy , liver biopsy 5/18/2011
    6cm sigmoid tumor, low grade (well-to-mod. differentiated)
    6 of 33 lymph nodes +
    FOLFOX /Avastin 6/2011-8/2011
    Rt hepatectomy on 9/20/2011---70%
    FOLFOX /Avastin 4 cycles 1/31 stopped-low platelets
    3/5 CT clear
    4/ PET scan showed peritoneal mets
    4/24 splenic embolization for low platelets
    FOLFIRI/ Avastin 5/12-8/12
    Consult for HIPEC 8/12 denied---tumors too many, possibly in ureter.
    5FU/ Avastin 8/2012-2/2013
    12/5/12 scan tumors stable
    12/12 aranespt
    3/5 tumor progression in abdomin
    Restart FOLFIRI/ Avastin with lower dose of Irinotecan 3/11-3/25
    nuelasta shots
    ER - bowel obstruction 4/4
    Port removed 4/12
    Port replaced 5/9
    ER 30 hrs
    Erbitux in, Irinotecan lowered 5/20 & 6/17
    9/17scan indicates stable
    9/18-27 & 10/7-11 small bowel obst.
    Erbitux & Irinotecan 11/5, 12/2
    Bowel obst. 12/31
    1/8 urether stent
    1/17 Hospice
    3/27 started his heavenly journey

UPdate

Received results today. It was a cancer tumor. Scheduled surgery for Monday. Ct Scan and Blood work is on Thursday. He said that he wont know for sure if I need Chemo, until they received results on the tumor. He also said that Radiation is most likely not required. The polyp that he removed was not cancerous. I am having part of my colon resection with hopes of Lap.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SadandScared View Post
    Received results today. It was a cancer tumor. Scheduled surgery for Monday. Ct Scan and Blood work is on Thursday. He said that he wont know for sure if I need Chemo, until they received results on the tumor. He also said that Radiation is most likely not required. The polyp that he removed was not cancerous. I am having part of my colon resection with hopes of Lap.
    Sorry to hear this. Please ask about the speicific type and sub-type of tumor, as this will make a difference. It could even be lymphoma, which is another world entirely. Keep us updated.
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    01/18 Consented for Kadmon clinical trial.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.
    11/19 MRI of brain reveals apparently benign frontal lobe tumor. Has the appearance of a cerebral cavernoma. Watch & wait on that.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.