A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Esophageal Cancer Confimed

Thank you Shaww. Her CT is scheduled for Friday next week unless there is an opening on Thursday (her day off as she still works).

I mentioned my mother is nearly 61. Her birthday is tomorrow- one hell of a birthday present! But at least we are on our way to getting some answers.

-Staying positive!

Daughter, sorry you find yourself here, but this is a good forum to be on. There are very helpful people here as you have already gathered.

Given what I have read, you want to be there with your mom on future appointments (if and when possible) and there are likely to be many of them as things move forward. I know it is difficult to hear after the words, "you have Cancer," are spoken. It is important for her to be in as good a physical condition as she can be. Have her walk frequently, especially if she has been doing so. If not, it is a good time to start.

This experience is more a marathon than a sprint, so be prepared to "hurry up and wait." Things will begin to move more quickly once the Docs are clearer about what they are dealing with. So hang in there, come back and let us know how things are progressing, ask questions, vent, whatever, that's what we're here for.

I know this is "dumb" but I do wish her a happy birthday.

doug
    MyJourney:
    August 2004 Colonoscopy Clear
    June-July 2013 Abdominal Discomfort Upper Abdomen X-ray, UltraSound, CTScan all clear
    8.23.13 Diagnosed 5cm tumor on rectum wall: adenocarcinoma @age 66
    Aug-Sept2013 Met with Surgeon,Hematologist and Radiation oncologist
    Oct.-Nov.: Xeloda concurrent with radiation: 25 doses
    November CTScan, MRI and surgeon scoped: Tumor gone, scar tissue
    1.6.14 Surgery LAR: Rectum removed, sphincter remains: Pathology: no lymph node,
    Tumor downgraded from Possible T3 to T2
    Feb. - April Chemo:5 FU and Oxilaplatin:6 infusions over 14 weeks
    9.4.14 ColonoscopyClear,CT Clear
    Dec.14 Follow up BlWk +,CEA .9
    Mar.15Follow up BlWk +,CEA .6
    June.15 Follow up BlWk +,CEA .7
    Sept2015Followup BlWk + CEA .7 CTScanClear NED
    Dec2015SurgicalHerniaRepair
    Sept2016Followup BlWk + CEA .7 CTScanClear NED
    Sept-Oct2017Followup All clear NED
    Sept-Oct2018CTScan+Clear Bldwk+
    Mar2019Bldwk+NED
    Continue ColoRectal Support Group monthly

Arghh I just wrote a long reply and it disappeared... let me try again...

Thanks Doug,
    I plan to be with her at every appointment I can!

She seems to be dealing with it well, obviously we had our suspicions after the upper endoscopy... but since it has been confirmed she is having trouble sleeping. We are staying positive until we know more though.

I'm taking her to her contrast CT scan tomorrow. Will we get the results of that tomorrow too??

Still waiting on appointments for second upper endoscopy and to see a dietician.

About taking her out for walks- I'm worried about her burning calories she can't afford to loose. As she has been having trouble eating, she has lost a lot of weight. She is otherwise quite active, she works full time etc.

I'm aware things will move quickly once we know what we're facing, if anyone can give me information about the operation (if that is an option for her case) so I know what to expect, that would be helpful.

Thank you x

Esophageal Cancer Confimed

I have a post with more information in it on the Worried about possible cancer section and the thread is "Waiting 4-6 weeks for biopsy results!" for anybody wanting to see all the information.

Anyway, I expect things are going to start moving more quickly now that cancer has been confirmed. I was wondering if anybody who has been through this before can give me any information about the operation involved if this is an option for her.

She is otherwise healthy but has lost weight due to not being able to eat very well. Quite active for her age- 61.

We've got a contrast CT tomorrow, can I expect to get the results of the CT scan tomorrow? Waiting on an appointment for the second upper endoscopy, and also waiting to see a dietician.

Any advice or information would be gratefully received.

((hugs))

hey... to avoid losing posts in the future... download an add on called Lazarus.. it saves your posts.

yes.. things will move quickly now.

As for the surgery and stint my friend opted out of it. As he was doing his dr google time...(gggrrr) he felt that was going to be the end all solution for all for his problems. Once he sat down and talked with the oncologist he decided against it. There are serious down sides and according to his doctor its a last move in treatment for him. Its something your mom and doctor need to really discuss... both the up side and down side and go from there.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

I'm really disappointed in the speed at which things are happening... it's so frustrating!!!

We got the results of the contrast CT- no signs of spreading to other organs, however a couple of enlarged lymph nodes are under suspicion. We had a EUS scheduled for 29th which has now been cancelled as doctors want to biopsy lymph nodes first, yet still waiting for this appointment?

I don't understand why cancel this appointment when we might still need it for staging purposes? No appointments in the pipeline again!!!

Also, can anybody tell me the process involved in lymph node biopsy?

Senior User
    Hi daughter, if they're going to perform a biopsy on her lymph nodes there are a few ways they can do it. My boyfriend had lymphoma so he had a couple. The first was a fine needle aspiration (FNA), which is utterly useless for diagnosing lymphoma. I'm not sure about whether it would be beneficial in other situations but my gut feeling is no. They can do a core biopsy (usually the option if the lymph node for biopsy is in a dangerous place, i.e. near the jugular or somewhere that nerve damage could potentially result during an excisional biopsy) as well, sometimes they are CT guided. I know of a few people who have had lymphoma diagnosed this way, again I do not know about any other type. My boyfriend had an excisional biopsy after the useless FNA. His primary tumour was in his right armpit, so they numbed the area and took a chunk out. Sometimes they do remove the whole node (your body has many lymph nodes so losing one isn't a big deal) but his tumour was quite large so that wasn't an option. We found out later that the tumour was actually like a little "chain" of tumours, but in this biopsy they got what they needed to confirm the Hodgkin's diagnosis. How is your mom doing now? Have you gotten an appointment for the biopsy yet?
    Kirsten.
    Boyfriend Rio diagnosed NSHL 29th July 2014 (24 years old)
    Stage IVBSX (~15 cm primary tumour)
    eBEACOPP 30th July to 3rd December, 2014
    Post TX PET 12th January, 2015
    Results 20th January, 2015
    Complete metabolic response. Rio's remission has begun!

She's had the FNA, we were told 2 weeks for results. They took a good chuck so as to not waste time by taking a small biopsy and possibly having inconclusive results. That was on Friday. In the days before that she had swollen glands lower down, pain when sitting and walking and trouble emptying her bladder. She went to the doctor who took a urine sample, which came back clear. Anyway, she wasn't sleeping due to pain and on Saturday she was admitted to hospital. She was treated for a bowl infection, then kidney stones, and then cysts on her ovaries!! Then an ultra sound found 2 'masses' on her ovaries. The radiographer pointed out that the masses now looked bigger then they did on the contrast CT... The CT that was done 3 weeks ago! We were told no spread and nothing abnormal? Why were these ignored for 3 weeks? Nobody seems to be interested in these despite these causing the pain and being the reason my mother is in hospital right now in pain. As we have been in hospital, the only good point is that the biopsy results have been rushed through. We got the results this evening, the cells are the same as in the eosophagus. We are expecting chemo to start in 2 weeks. I'm loosing faith in these doctors!

Quote Originally Posted by daughter_worried View Post
    She's had the FNA, we were told 2 weeks for results. They took a good chuck so as to not waste time by taking a small biopsy and possibly having inconclusive results. That was on Friday. In the days before that she had swollen glands lower down, pain when sitting and walking and trouble emptying her bladder. She went to the doctor who took a urine sample, which came back clear. Anyway, she wasn't sleeping due to pain and on Saturday she was admitted to hospital. She was treated for a bowl infection, then kidney stones, and then cysts on her ovaries!! Then an ultra sound found 2 'masses' on her ovaries. The radiographer pointed out that the masses now looked bigger then they did on the contrast CT... The CT that was done 3 weeks ago! We were told no spread and nothing abnormal? Why were these ignored for 3 weeks? Nobody seems to be interested in these despite these causing the pain and being the reason my mother is in hospital right now in pain. As we have been in hospital, the only good point is that the biopsy results have been rushed through. We got the results this evening, the cells are the same as in the eosophagus. We are expecting chemo to start in 2 weeks. I'm loosing faith in these doctors!
    all good question.... i am not a doctor so take what i say for what it is.

The cancers may be met's from the original site and not different cancers in different places. The chemo will treat it all at the same time.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

Angry

Oncologist should be coming to see us this afternoon so we can ask all our questions. I tried asking our nurse today: are we hoping the chemo will effect the masses on the ovaries, if not will there be a plan to investigate them further and deal with them at that point? Because at the moment the don't seem interested in that part at all. I understand they want to start treatment for the cancer but to not investigate these masses and help ease these other symptoms and pains seems strange? Instead they are dosing her up on morphine, which doesn't help her be able to empty her bladder properly. We believe these masses are pressing on the bladder.

The radiographer who preformed the ultra sound compared the masses from the CT and said the looked to be a lot bigger now (my mum thinks he said 4.5cm, but the morphine is blurring her memory lol). He also said one of the masses seemed fluid filled and the other was more solid and that the 2 looked unrelated. What does this mean and why aren't they being looked into??? We have nobody to answer these questions for us.