A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Esophageal Cancer Confimed

Also, her dysphasia etc has become a lot worse lately and eating is a real challenge, she's being sent for another upper endoscopy on Tuesday to see if anything has worsened and if a stent is an option they will put one in then.

Something else I forgot to mention is that they do believe that these masses aren't cancer. How they know that without investigation or biopsy I don't know. We've only had an ultrasound. Also, we were told it would be an internal examination but it was only external???

Although they don't believe these are malignant, it's of not great comfort as we have been messed about so much already! The first upper endoscopy the biopsies weren't fast tracked as they weren't believed to be cancer... They were. On the CT the masses weren't picked up. And since she has been admitted she has been treated for several different things!!!

Quote Originally Posted by daughter_worried View Post
    Oncologist should be coming to see us this afternoon so we can ask all our questions. I tried asking our nurse today: are we hoping the chemo will effect the masses on the ovaries, if not will there be a plan to investigate them further and deal with them at that point? Because at the moment the don't seem interested in that part at all. I understand they want to start treatment for the cancer but to not investigate these masses and help ease these other symptoms and pains seems strange? Instead they are dosing her up on morphine, which doesn't help her be able to empty her bladder properly. We believe these masses are pressing on the bladder.

The radiographer who preformed the ultra sound compared the masses from the CT and said the looked to be a lot bigger now (my mum thinks he said 4.5cm, but the morphine is blurring her memory lol). He also said one of the masses seemed fluid filled and the other was more solid and that the 2 looked unrelated. What does this mean and why aren't they being looked into??? We have nobody to answer these questions for us.
    I really cant say what they are thinking or how they are moving her treatment plan.

I do know they are not bothering to treat my friends lung or liver and concentrating on the original cancer.... It is very possible her doctors are taking the same path. They are not "treating" or investigating his mets either.

At the moment they have him pretty well flying on drugs too... he is hallucinating cats and kittens in his room. At times he does not know what is real and now or a dream.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

A lot has happened since I last posted. My mum was put on a long lasting pain patch as she wasn't able to keep down oral meds, that was on Monday. She had her stent on the Tuesday. She stayed in hospital until Friday but during that time has a lot of vomiting and wasn't eating anything. She came home and was ok over the weekend but Monday night started bringing things back. We had an appointment with the oncologist on Wednesday to discuss starting chemo on Thursday but during the appointment my mum started vomiting. She was admitted right away to get her sickness under control and we were told chemo wouldn't be starting the following day. We were suspicious of her pain patch and thought this was the reason for sickness- every time she has a temperature or a hot shower it was releasing more morphene! They took the patch off on Wednesday and she has been a bit better. Chemo is now due to start on Tuesday. She's had a picc line in her arm as they were planning on giving her a tablet form but this has now been swapped to this because of her sickness. This will be as well as 3 weekly IV chemo cycles.

We were told that without chemo her life expectancy is only weeks/ months, and with chemo it will only extend that by weeks or months. That was such a shock! That's such a short amount of time! We only had the cancer diagnosis last month. Today is my 26th birthday and I'm devastated that she probably won't be here for my 27th. My sisters are fortunate enough to have their own families and their children know their nan. When I have kids, they will never know her.

Our time with her is even more precious now.
    Last edited by daughter_worried; 05-23-2015 at 09:59 AM.

A lot has happened since I last posted. My mum was put on a long lasting pain patch as she wasn't able to keep down oral meds, that was on Monday. She had her stent on the Tuesday. She stayed in hospital until Friday but during that time has a lot of vomiting and wasn't eating anything. She came home and was ok over the weekend but Monday night started bringing things back. We had an appointment with the oncologist on Wednesday to discuss starting chemo on Thursday but during the appointment my mum started vomiting. She was admitted right away to get her sickness under control and we were told chemo wouldn't be starting the following day. We were suspicious of her pain patch and thought this was the reason for sickness- every time she has a temperature or a hot shower it was releasing more morphene! They took the patch off on Wednesday and she has been a bit better. Chemo is now due to start on Tuesday. She's had a picc line in her arm as they were planning on giving her a tablet form but this has now been swapped to this because of her sickness. This will be as well as 3 weekly IV chemo cycles.

We were told that without chemo her life expectancy is only weeks/ months, and with chemo it will only extend that by weeks or months. That was such a shock! That's such a short amount of time! We only had the cancer diagnosis last month. Today is my 26th birthday and I'm devastated that she probably won't be here for my 27th. My sisters are fortunate enough to have their own families and their children know their nan. When I have kids, they will never know her.

Our time with her is even more precious now.

i am so sorry.... I am in about the same place you are. It is very hard to get a handle on.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

So hard!
    We've had a good 2days though, chemo started yesterday and she is in high spirits and making plans for the first time.
    I hope we have many more good days.

I'm sorry to hear we are in similar situations Shaww, do you have a thread on here I could read?

So hard!
    We've had a good 2days though, chemo started yesterday and she is in high spirits and making plans for the first time.
    I hope we have many more good days.

I'm sorry to hear we are in similar situations Shaww, do you have a thread on here I could read?

yay for the good days!!! Take every one you can get.

It is a combo thread but mostly about Reese.
    http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...of-a-Caregiver

Only I will remain.