A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Worries about a Stent--Please Hl

Newbie New User

Worries about a Stent--Please Hl

Hi,

My fiancÚ has diagnosed with late-stage esophageal cancer. We don't know much yet and the treatment hasn't started.

Now, they tried to dilate his esophagus during the scoping but, as he was conscious, the pain was almost unbearable. (He was sedated for the scoping but not the biopsy and the dilation.

Now they want to put a stent in, but we're worried it'll lead to constant pain. Isn't this too early? He does fine with semi-solid food. He is not on any painkillers. And the dilation was brutal.

Any advice or insight? Are feeding tubes any gentler?

If anyone could talk to me privately (PM), that would be much appreciated too.

Many thanks.

Newbie New User
    The stent will expand gradually, and he would be sedated for the insertion. Depending on where his cancer is in the esophagus, it may or may not help very much. My dad has a stomach tumour that is right at the junction of the stomach and the esophagus and the stent would be a last resort as it would remove the valve that keeps the stomach contents from regurgitating, and he wouldn't be able to eat much more than liquid foods as there is a danger of it getting stuck. I know I've read on here of others who have stents and manage with them, so it may depend on the location of the tumour as well.

my friend did his Dr Google searching and found the stent... he "thought" that was going to be the big fix.

His oncologist told us that was his "last resort" as he felt the side effects were not worth the procedure. You must sleep more or less upright and reflux is a huge problem.

But... that being said not every case is the same. Ask as many questions as you can about options.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

Newbie New User
    "You must sleep more or less upright and reflux is a huge problem."

Oh... would you mind telling me more about this? PM is fine too.

My mum had a stent, she had to stay upright for a week or so but now sleeps flat. Yes she manages solid foods now, where before she was scared of trying soups, milk shakes etc for fear of pain and dysphasia. She still has some issues with sickness (vomiting), and you have to be careful to avoid certain foods to avoid blocking the stent. Fizzy drinks help keep it clear.
    It takes up to 72 hours to open fully but after that we saw improvement in my mothers case.

Newbie New User
    Mallory--- the stent is a hollow tube that is inserted in the esophagus and into the stomach (if tumor is near there). It does not contract the way your esophagus does to take food down into the stomach -- basically it's like a open inflexible tube. It may also be in such a position to hold open the valve that keeps stomach contents from coming up thru the esophagus. Because of this, lying with head elevated (depending on how bad the reflux is for each person determines how much of an elevation) but even with that, many who have had the surgery have to deal with frequent or even daily episodes of reflux.