A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Book Suggestions?

Newbie New User

Book Suggestions?

My fiancť is diagnosed with advanced esophageal cancer. This was sudden. It seemed to have metastasized to one of his lung, but we donít know yet.

We were going to get married this fall.

Iím hanging by a thread. My best friend stops by more often and my other friend is stepping up. I know I will need all the support I can get.

Could people recommend good books on how to cope emotionally? I don't really want an overly optimistic book that tells you that everything is going to be alright. What I'd like to find is that literally talks about taking it one day at a time and what emotions I should expect, written with compassion.

Medical books... I'll get there. I know someone who kept telling me all the hard facts and I couldn't deal with it. Right now I need to lessen the feeling that I'm drowning.

I don't know how to cope. He's my everything. But I need to try and stay strong for him.

Thank you.

Newbie New User
    So sorry you're having to deal with this when you should be looking forward to nothing more than getting married.

I can't help much with the book but just wanted to let you know we're all here for you.

(My dad has been diagnosed with Stage IV terminal esophageal/stomach cancer which is also in his lungs and lymph nodes)

Newbie New User
    We found the book Enjoy Every Sandwich by Dr. Lee Lipsenthal helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by malloryc17 View Post
    My fiancť is diagnosed with advanced esophageal cancer. This was sudden. It seemed to have metastasized to one of his lung, but we don’t know yet.

We were going to get married this fall.

I’m hanging by a thread. My best friend stops by more often and my other friend is stepping up. I know I will need all the support I can get.

Could people recommend good books on how to cope emotionally? I don't really want an overly optimistic book that tells you that everything is going to be alright. What I'd like to find is that literally talks about taking it one day at a time and what emotions I should expect, written with compassion.

Medical books... I'll get there. I know someone who kept telling me all the hard facts and I couldn't deal with it. Right now I need to lessen the feeling that I'm drowning.

I don't know how to cope. He's my everything. But I need to try and stay strong for him.

Thank you.