A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Superficial Spreading Invasive Malignant Melanoma

Newbie New User

Superficial Spreading Invasive Malignant Melanoma

I am 30 years old. This came as quite a shock. I received the news yesterday via a phone call from the doctor. My surgery is in one week. He said we caught it early. But why is it "invasive" rather than "non invasive" then? I have a call into him today for more questions. I missed half of what he said the first time because all I heard was "MELANOMA". It's on my stomach. It was a red spot that I THINK appeared around 6 months ago, but I can't say for sure!

I'm terrified. All I can think about is my children. I guess my main question is how much "worse" is it when it is invasive rather than non-invasive? Thanks all.

Amanda

Senior User
    Hi Amanda,

Generally speaking invasive melanoma is just any melanoma that is not melanoma in situ. Melanoma in situ, by definition, is melanoma that is on the outer surface of the skin and has not yet begun to "invade" to deeper levels. It is also known as stage 0. Once melanoma begins to invade beneath the surface, it begins to be described in stages 1 through 4, with stage 1 melanoma being thinner melanoma that has usually been caught early. Most thin melanoma will not have invaded deeply enough yet to have reached lymph or blood vessels, which is how melanoma spreads, which is why catching it early is a very good thing. Much depends on the pathology report and there are other factors they consider when determining stage, but hopefully that will help.

It is very good news that it was caught early!!

We are here to help if you have more questions. Best of luck to you!

Cheri
    Vulvar mucosal melanoma, superficial spreading type, stage I-II, depth 1 mm with regression
    Radical right-sided hemivulvectomy, clitorectomy and bilateral sentinel lymph node biopsies, May 2013, lymph nodes clear
    PET CT, NED, July 2013
    Partial left hemivulvectomy/reconstructive surgery Oct 2013, found melanoma in situ on pathology, out to margins
    November/January - Underwent 9 vulvar biopsies to try to locate the MIS for surgical excision, unsuccessful
    May 2014 - Third vulvectomy/second left hemivulvectomy for wide local excision of MIS, MIS not identified on pathology
    PET CT, still NED, June 2015
    PET CT, NED, June 2016

Newbie New User
    Hi Cheri! Thank you so much for replying to my post. I was fearful that "invasive" automatically meant that it has reached something other than the skin, such as lymph nodes or blood vessels. Now that I understand it could still be in the skin, just at a deeper level, I feel very comforted while I wait for more info from the doc and my surgery date.

The waiting game is so hard. I think I will feel better once I've at least had the procedure done, even though from what I'm realizing this will be a lifelong battle and I'll have to make a full lifestyle change. The site itches throughout the day, so if I'm lucky enough to "forget" for a while, it'll start itching and remind me - oh yeah - I have cancer now.

Thank you again, Cheri!

-Amanda

Newbie New User
    BIOPSY RESULTS:

Superficial spreading invasive malignant melanoma, non-ulcerated, Breslow thickness 0.33 mm, see note.

Melanoma in situ extends to one peripheral margin and invasive melanoma is narrowly free of the deep margin.
    Negative for regression of lymphovascular invasion.

I'm hoping this means I can feel pretty confident they will get it all the first time.

Senior User
    Amanda, I'm so relieved for you. I think that is probably very likely! Fairly thin as melanomas go, which is of course a good thing, with no regression, no ulceration, no lymphovascular invasion - all good news. Now for the excision and lots of sunblock from now on. : ) And regular melanoma skin checks! I am not an expert of course but I am guessing this is stage 1a and the surgery will be pretty straightforward, with likely 1 cm margins to make sure they get it all.

Best wishes!

Cheri
    Vulvar mucosal melanoma, superficial spreading type, stage I-II, depth 1 mm with regression
    Radical right-sided hemivulvectomy, clitorectomy and bilateral sentinel lymph node biopsies, May 2013, lymph nodes clear
    PET CT, NED, July 2013
    Partial left hemivulvectomy/reconstructive surgery Oct 2013, found melanoma in situ on pathology, out to margins
    November/January - Underwent 9 vulvar biopsies to try to locate the MIS for surgical excision, unsuccessful
    May 2014 - Third vulvectomy/second left hemivulvectomy for wide local excision of MIS, MIS not identified on pathology
    PET CT, still NED, June 2015
    PET CT, NED, June 2016

Amanda, as Cheri said, this is very good news indeed! You path report describes the lymphoma as "in situ" which is the best news you could have gotten our of a pathology report that has the word "melanoma" in it. This should be easily treated through excision on the first try and you should plan on going forward without issues. That said, do plan on slathering on the sunscreen (and staying out of the sun) so you don't get a recurrance in another spot. Congratulations on a great report, you should be fine.

Good health,

kermica
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

Age 66
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09
    Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.
    Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.
    Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012
    Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.
    July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.
    August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".
    February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.
    June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxan, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.
    February 2015 - Doc and I agreed to stop R maintenance as it is depressing my immune system too much.
    June 2015 - Confirm that the beast is back by physical exam, will scan in August after esophageal issues settle down so we can get a clear view.
    August 2015 - physical exam in error, PET/CT shows no evidence of disease. Remission continues well into second year!
    December 2015 - Cardiologist tells me I have plaque buildup growing at an alarming rate. Stent or bypass down the road but not yet...
    March 2016 - new tumor below the jaw so remission is over. Back to active surveillance until treatment is needed.
    June 2016 - C/T scan indicates presence of multiple lesions in iliac chain.
    August 2016 - PET/CT shows multiple areas of lymphoma as expected plus new areas of concern in bowel.
    January 2017 - C/T scan shows significant progression in cervical and inguinal lymph chains, largest tumor is impacting hearing, measures 2.1x4.6 cm. 4 to 8 cycles of R-CVP, 1x3weeks to commence 2/6/17.

Newbie New User
    Hello all,

Just wanted to give an update. It is now February of 2017, almost 2 years since my melanoma diagnosis. So far I've had a few biopsies, all which came back normal. Still NED. I have one biopsy right now that I am waiting on the results from. I am also having an ultrasound in a couple weeks for a lump I've discovered in my arm.

I want to reinforce - no evidence of disease yet. That is the positive!

However, sadly, I have become obsessed with thinking I am going to die. Hypochondriac? It is consuming my life. I always think cancer is looming around the corner. I'm still convinced I'm going to die from some form of cancer. I'm afraid of everything. I live in a constant state of worry and anxiety. I do take a low dose form of Zoloft. It's helped me sleep at night but has not stopped the obsessing. I've since had a baby - so now I have three children and I'm constantly worried I'm going to die young and leave them with no mother.

Although that part is unfortunate, I wanted to update and share that I am NED in hopes that it brings comfort to someone. Many people don't update when NED, so I wanted to.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Great news! And, thanks for checking back in. Mothers have a worry gene and the combined effect of prior cancer and children has activated it. I find the answer in your post - make an appointment to discuss these recurrent thoughts. A change in dosage or medication type might be one answer. Counseling could be another, as we sometimes engage in "ruminative thought" in which we essentially chew, swallow and regurgitate the same thoughts over and over.

Still, we must bear in mind that we are not guaranteed even one single day extra in our lives. Our children, our families will be taken care of in our absence. We experience that now short-term when we go to work, run errands, hire baby sitters etc. Worry is useless, as we worry about things over which we have no control! What we do have control over is today.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. >50 tumors, marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TREC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS), a bone marrow cancer.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Haploidentical Allogeneic Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Blood nose dive. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment official - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin GvHD arrives. DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    To date: 18 chemotherapeutic drugs in 9 regimens (4 of them at least twice), + 4 immunosuppressant drugs.

I have been chosen to suffer, therefore, I am blessed. Knowing the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

"What is faith? It is that which gives substance to our hopes, which convinces us of things we cannot see"
    - Hebrews 11:1

Newbie New User
    Thank you for your reply. I feel silly complaining when I see all that you and others have been through.

Last Tuesday I had two biopsies done at once. They called Monday to tell me
    One came back normal. The other still isn't back yet.
    I'm now obsessing about why one wouldn't be back yet when they were sent out at the same time. All the scenarios in my head don't sound good.