A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Positive LEEP experience

Newbie New User

Cool Positive LEEP experience

I had my first LEEP today after my colposcopy biopsy came back with moderate dysplasia. I had a very negative experience with my last colpo, which I wrote about here so naturally, I was extremely anxious about this new experience. When I made the appointment over the phone, I made sure to request a different doctor to perform the LEEP, since the last lady scarred me for life! I made it to the room-after-the-waiting-room and started to break down a little as my nerves and emotions were coming to a head. The nurse comforted and assured me that I was assigned the best doctor for the job, and that the procedure hurts less than a colposcopy.

I got into the room, the same room in which I had received the awful colposcopy, and the Dr. and Nurse continuously reassured me and explained everything that was about to happen. They put an electrically-charged sticky pad on my leg to 'ground' me because of the electricity used during the procedure. This time the Dr. warned me about the speculum and gently guided it in, as opposed to jamming it in with no warning like the previous doctor had done. Then she applied the numbing solution. It wasn't a shot and I wasn't put under. There was some mild cramping discomfort as she applied the solution to my cervix. She warned me that I may feel some odd sensations, such as a weird taste in my mouth or a slightly 'buzzed' feeling. I didn't really feel anything, and within a couple minutes my cervix was numb. The nurse helpfully distracted me by asking about my tattoos.

Next, she explained that they were turning on the smoke inhalation machine (to suck up the smoke from my fried cervix!) and that it would be loud. The actual LEEP was very quick. Again, I couldn't feel anything. Then the nurse informed me that I was finished and that the Dr. was cauterizing the wound. I was so happy that the procedure was nearly pain-free, that I almost started crying again. She said she had taken about a silver dollar-sized thin layer - which sounds like it must have been most of my cervix, since the previous Dr. took a number of biopsies the last time.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised and relieved! Hopefully this can calm some nerves and save someone a bit of stress. My blood pressure was high, which is odd for me, because I was so stressed this month anticipating the procedure.

After I got in my car, I experienced some pretty strong cramping. I took some ibuprofen and the cramps went away after 10 minutes. I've had some light spotting so far. My innards feel a bit tender, but not necessarily crampy. Maybe mildly so. I will keep taking ibuprofen as needed, and take it easy for the next couple of days before I return to work.

Good luck, ladies!
    Last edited by nubcake; 07-28-2015 at 03:58 PM.

Thank you SO much for writing about your positive experience. I am going to make this a sticky post so it stays at the top of threads as it will reassure so many who come after you.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016

Newbie New User
    Thak you for posting this. I just got the bad news that I need a LEEP done also. I found out 2 days ago after my colposcopy and biopsy showed high grade changes. I am terrified. Hopefully my LEEP experience will be similar to yours. After all the horror stories I have read it is noce to read one that was not.