A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: How to justify a mammogram before age 40

Senior User

How to justify a mammogram before age 40

Sadly, I am not new to this cancer site since I am on the brain cancer portion due to my mother's battle with brain cancer.

As for breast cancer, I have a question about how to justify a mammogram before the age of 40 and does it truly have benefits?

I have had this off and on pain in my right side of my right breast for two years now. My general doctor said it could be
    joint pain and my OBGYN flat out refuses to let me get a mammogram until I am 40. I am currently 37 now. I feel my breasts
    up monthly and don't feel any pebbles or lumps. Sometimes the right side feels harder before my period.

My general doctor said she may be able to do a workaround with my age and my insurance company this way -
    order me a breast ultrasound, then get the mammogram due to needing a better picture than an ultrasound.

What would you recommend in this case? How old were you when you got your first mammogram? Thank you

DixieDoodle78, I am not an alarmist kind of person but... My wife was in nursing school going over mammography when she was in her young 30s, and her instructor encouraged them to get a mammogram before 40. Her PCP said OK and the first mammogram she ever had, was positive for cancer, no family history whatsoever. What followed was almost 20 years of living and loving, giving birth and being loved before this nasty disease took her away from us. My recommendation? Do it without reservation or hesitation and don't second guess yourself, especially if something doesn't seem right. My wife had an incredible ability to sense when something wasn't right in her body, and she was very, very accurate with her self assessments. If all is well, awesome, your peace of mind was well worth the trouble. Best to you, Don

I am afraid i am of not help here being from Canada Dixie. Hoping more members can chime in here that are from the US that may have suggestions. Any ideas what the cost is of a mammogram?
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same

Newbie New User
    I'm 36 and I just had my first mammogram. I have a high risk of breast cancer with family history. My doctor told me as of age 35, women can get mammograms if there's a potential risk.

My mammogram showed very dense breasts but that is it. I felt two lumps, got an ultrasound and categorized as birads 4c and now I'm getting an MRI in a few days.

Keep pushing for a mammogram. Or try looking into brca testing and that might help?

Good luck

I had my first mammogram at about 34. At age 38 - I was diagnosed with breast cancer based on the most recent mammogram. I am currently being treated for my 4th cancer diagnosis (my age now is 63). It makes me crazy to hear folks say mammograms should only be for women over 40 or even 50. If my Doc followed those rules, I'd most likely be in my grave by now. I personally feel that 35 is a good age to start mammograms with even earlier if the patient has a family history of cancer (which I did not have...). Good luck to you. It sounds like your Doc wants to work with you. Be Well