A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Thyroid cancer and many symptoms..anyone else?

Newbie New User

Thyroid cancer and many symptoms..anyone else?

Hi everyone. I'm a 24 yr old woman who was recently diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer. I was told it seems to be in it's early stages and also got great news that it has not spread to my lymph nodes so as of now I will just be getting surgery to remove the thyroid. I keep reading that most people with this cancer, especially in the early stages usually have no symptoms, just a nodule felt at a doctors appointment. Before my nodule was found I knew something was wrong as I was having a lot of trouble swallowing food and pain and swelling in the neck. My doctor says the trouble swallowing is not related to the cancer because the nodule is only 2 cm, and is saying it would be more likely to be caused by my acid reflux. I'm also very tired, weak and nauseous often. But the worst of my symptoms is horrible body pain. Iv'e been getting bad pain in my upper right thigh daily and sometimes my knees and back, and arms. I'm worried that it has possibly spread to my bones as I read the upper thigh areas and back are common places. I would like to know if anyone else with this type of cancer are having any similar symptoms and is it normal for thyroid cancer to cause body pain even without spreading to the bones? I'm very worried and need some peace of mind until I see my doctor! Any advice is very much appreciated, thanks!

Hello, Angela-

Welcome to the group, though I'm sorry it has to be under these circumstances. Although I didn't have thyroid cancer, I am a survivor of head & neck cancer. I know that you have a lot of questions on your mind, and probably some uncertainty as you evaluate every little ache and pain and wonder if it might all be related. Many of us have been there. Waiting is one of the most difficult things for cancer patients--waiting for appointments, waiting for tests, and waiting for results and diagnoses. I would urge you to be as patient as you can. Explore some of the other posts on these and other forums. Jot down questions for your doctor for the next time you visit. Empowering yourself and taking charge of your treatment will help you feel better.

You are fortunate in that you have a very treatable, curable type of cancer. You are still very young, and will be able to endure whatever treatment is needed. It's my understanding that thyroid cancer is fairly slow-moving, and you've probably caught it early enough to do something about it. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and return to a normal life.

Newbie New User
    HI Angela24,

I am in a similar situation. My biopsy came back inconclusive, however, but may be follicular cancer. I am now scheduled to have my Thyroid taken out because of the choking feeling I'm constantly having (whether or not it's cancer I can't live like this).

But I'm also concerned with symptoms. Not only do I feel like I'm choking and sometimes have difficulty swollowing and have a scratchy voice, but now I am so weak that I can hardly walk. I have horrible muscle weakness that makes even the simplest of chores hard to accomplish. I've also had sharp pains in my knees and sometimes my feet. They come fast and leave, but while I feel the pain I can barely stand.

It's frustrating to go to doctors who tell you that you shouldn't be having any symptoms when you clearly are. I wish I could tell you something that would help, but I'm here like you trying to find answers. These symptoms are just the tip of the iceberg for me. I hope someone will answer who has more information for both of us.

Thanks for your post, it's always nice to hear that someone else is just as frustrated.