A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 92 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: One haploidentical transplant experience (ongoing)

hi PO 18, I haven't been here in a while so spent some time catching up on your progress. You just continue to be an inspiration to all of us, and I so appreciate the detailed information you share. I pray the G vHD clears up soon, and that the Lovenox clears out the blood clot. You, and your whole family have been through so much, my heart goes out to you, and know that you are in my prayers. God does indeed use our suffering, and will bring good out of it even if we can't always see it. It certainly gives us more empathy for others, and patience too, as we realize how pain and suffering grinds on our nerves. You are a champion, and a wonderful example to your children - they too will hold life more dear because they've traveled this journey with you. God is so good and you, and all of us here, are so blessed!
    69 yr. old female, retired
    Diagnosed NH Follicular Lymphoma 2/11/2011
    Upgraded to Stage 4
    5-6 nodes on left side of neck, 2 on right side
    biopsy left neck node: grade 1-2
    radiation not an option
    bone marrow: positive
    small tumors abdomen
    currently doing W & W approach
    TRUSTING IN MY AWESOME SAVIOR - DAY BY DAY
    Blessed w/ loving supportive family
    Grieving the loss of my Mother/best friend

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Trying to avoid false modesty, I am doing what I have been called to do, and equipped to do. Believe me - no matter how courageous it may appear, there are times when I do not feel all that courageous. Still, if I can undergo all of this (and probably more) successfully, then those who face as much or less should be encouraged. And, if "I" can do this, then those who face more than I will also receive the strength they need for the journey.
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    01/18 Consented for Kadmon clinical trial.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Day 96 - a sentimental look back at Myelodysplastic Syndrome

Each new appointment seems to reveal yet another diagnosis that was unknown before! I was informed today that, at the time of transplant, my marrow evidenced some form of MDS (Myelodysplastic Syndrome). MDS actually describes several conditions in which the marrow is deficient in some respect, having cellular damage which affects the production of normal blood. Technically, it is a type of cancer. Practically, certain types of MDS proceed into Acute Myeloid Leukemia. If one has MDS, it is good information, as it is an advance warning. However, it is far better to know that it is now gone, replaced by younger and healthier donor marrow.

Most MDS has an unknown cause. With my treatment history, the most obvious cause of MDS is the sheer number of chemotherapeutic drugs that I have received. Before we begin treatment, we are routinely advised that certain secondary cancers are possible when receiving treatment. Any drug which can affect DNA synthesis carries the potential to cause a cancer, but the known primary cancer is our primary concern. It is a trade-off that we are willing to make. In my case, a secondary cause is probably the radiation absorbed in the numerous scans that I have received (10+ PET, and 35+ CT series). Yet, many do not develop a secondary cancer, including MDS.

Despite creeping thoughts to the contrary, it now appears that the transplant was necessary and perfectly timed - not only to potentially cure the lymphoma, but also to eradicate the marrow before the MDS morphed from 'relatively' benign into an aggressive leukemia. I am looking forward to discussing this further with my hematologist, with whom I will have an appointment within the next week or so.

The "take-away" lesson here for me is not to judge what I am going through until, in retrospect, I can appreciate the totality of the circumstances.
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

Three days short and out.

Day 97 and I had my final departure appointment. We again reviewed current medications and the signs of chronic GvHD to watch for in the coming months. This aspect was primarily aimed at patients from out of the area - those who will be returning to hematologists or even their primary physicians back home. However, I have the blessing of follow up appointments in the same building with the hematologist that I have had for over seven years. Another blessing is that he deals with skin lymphomas, and some of that treatment is also effective against skin GvHD.

I continue to taper off of prednisone, which has produced a touch of soreness in my lower back - much like that when one receives Neulasta/Neupogen injections. Since my lumbar spine is pretty much a wreck, I am accustomed to pain, but this recent pain is also associated with withdrawal from prednisone, so it is good to know the cause. Sometime after allergy testing next month, I will also begin tapering off of Tacrolimus. That amounts to a gradual reduction of control over my new immune system, and I cannot say that there is no concern over what will happen next. Nevertheless, the Tacrolimus itself has certain downsides, so it will be good to be weaned off of it.

On the way out, I stopped by the infusion floor, where a woman we met recently (relapsed multiple myeloma patient) is undergoing chemo in preparation for a tandem autologous/allogeneic transplant in December. After seven years of receiving various infusions there I found it refreshing, if a bit strange, to be only a visitor! My recovery has gone well, and she is 13 years younger, so I encouraged her that she could do this!

We are now winding down our time in the apartment and planning the move back home. We both agree that there are aspects of this simplified and downsized lifestyle that we will miss.

NOTE: From the thread view count, there are quite a few people reading this. If you are considering a transplant, are in preparation or conditioning for one, or are post-transplant and dealing with GvHD issues, let's hear from you! This is a completely unique experience in the cancer world, and was/is the most uncertain part of my journey. Each transplant will be different, but the challenges we face are the same.
    02/09 2) Relapse.

Moderator Top User
    Hi Jim, you have made it to one of your many milestones 100 days, getting home must be a nice and reassuring feeling, congrats on getting this far and it will not be long before the first year roles on.
    Take care
    john
    NHL DLBC aggressive stage 4B advanced
    diagnosed april 09
    after 8 rchop and a couple of delays, in remission
    some long term side effects to manage post treatment
    some blips and investigations on the journey but now
    22nd oct 2014 discharged no more hospital visits

we are all on a roller coaster ride, riding blind never knowing where the highs and lows are.

Quote Originally Posted by johnr View Post
    Hi Jim, you have made it to one of your many milestones 100 days, getting home must be a nice and reassuring feeling, congrats on getting this far and it will not be long before the first year roles on.
    Take care
    john
    Thank you ever so much, John! Moved back home only a few hours ago. Now, to settle into the new routine. Although the transplant team said that I would likely wear my Hickman line for some time - at least until the clot is gone, my hematologist has already scheduled its removal. Amen to that!
    02/09 2) Relapse.

Senior User
    Wow PO! you are home! That is just so fantastic to hear. It went by fast for me - how about you? lol. My brother is still scheduled for the end of Dec. if all goes well in the next few weeks. You will definitely be a source of hope and strength for him.

Quote Originally Posted by debpower View Post
    Wow PO! you are home! That is just so fantastic to hear. It went by fast for me - how about you? lol. My brother is still scheduled for the end of Dec. if all goes well in the next few weeks. You will definitely be a source of hope and strength for him.
    "lol" is right! But, which mother remembers the labor pains once holding her baby in her arms? At this point, even home feels like I am visiting. We were comfortable living our minimalist existence in the apartment. Over the past three days, I have been discovering the "what?" of my immune system. The question remaining is the "why?" Three days ago, I had an immune response to something. I ate or drank nothing that I know would trigger a reaction. It continued the next day, when I lost my voice for a short time. Today, it feels too close to bronchitis for me to be comfortable. Am watching my temperature, but it has been low. Put a call in to doctor to keep him aware.

Spoke with my son who told me that, on at least a couple of occasions, he has had an immune response for no apparent reason. Oh. Well, I'll get used to it. I guess.
    02/09 2) Relapse.

A learned-the-hard-way suggestion for those who currently have a port/power port, and who are scheduled to have a central line or Hickman catheter placed: I would insist on having them on opposite sides of the chest. I "somehow" ended up with both on the same side. This has complicated port flushing inasmuch as the Hickman dressing covers the port. And, according to my hematologist, having the two on the same side creates turbulence within the vein, making a clot much more likely - in my case, 100% more likely. The transplant team apparently intended for the Hickman to remain in place until the clot was gone, but my hematologist, being considerably more aggressive (I am alive because of his work), wants it out ASAP. So, I am being scheduled for its removal. With the catheter gone, it will be a welcome return to normal showering, i.e. not having to waterproof a section of my chest. No more requirement to flush the lumens daily will also be a plus.

Edit: Just got the text from DW. The Hickman line is coming out Tuesday. WooHoo!
    Last edited by po18guy; 10-31-2015 at 02:00 AM.
    02/09 2) Relapse.

Quote Originally Posted by po18guy;295147[B
    Edit[/B]: Just got the text from DW. The Hickman line is coming out Tuesday. WooHoo!
    Soooooo??????????? How did that go? Been thinking about you. Getting "de-Hickmaned" was one of the most special moments of my auto transplant.......the freedom to enjoy a totally free shower with no plastic......"swoon"!!!! I am not looking forward to getting another one of those......but there it is.....part of the deal.
    67 yrs old
    March 6, 2012: Diagnosed Anaplastic Large (T-) Cell Lymphoma, Stage 1 (ALK-)
    3 rounds of CHOP unsuccessful.
    Beginning mid-June, 2012, received 6 cycles of Brentuximab at Huntsman Cancer Institute, University of Utah. Autologous bone marrow transplant in November of 2012.
    17 radiation treatments for "consolidation" purposes between Dec. 26 and Jan.17.
    100 day post BMT check-up (2/26/13): NED. Pet scan on 7/10/13: Still NED.
    One year post transplant check-up: Still fine; NED.
    18month post-translant scans, etc. All fine, save a bit of arthritis.
    11/14/14: 24 month post transplant check-up--still NED.
    5/15/15: No NED this time. Relapse confirmed/ started every 3 week brentuximab
    Allo transplant in Feb 2016.
    100 day post transplant scans in June 2016 fine.
    3 yr. post SCT check up: all fine, no issues.