A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1555636465

Thread: One haploidentical transplant experience (ongoing)

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Thank you, Mary. It is good to hear that you are doing better. Have you considered a trial? There are a few out there, and a now approved drug (Ibrutinib), but it can have some serious side effects.

To think that haploidentical transplants are not supposed to have these issues. I feel so.....so... special! All I have to do now is finish hacking up the other lung. I had a race of nausea two days ago, and even took a Zofran (over two years since I did that) to calm the stomach. Might have been a stomach virus to join the other two in my respiratory tract.

I am supposed to go in Thursday and don't really feel like it - but probably will so that I can snag some HD cough meds while I'mm there. Down to 30mg alternating with 5mg of prednisone now. As much as I still dislike it, sure does beat 95mg daily.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TREC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measureable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    01/18 Consented for Kadmon clinical trial of drug KD025, a ROCK2 inhibitor that is believed to help with chronic GvHD.
    To date: 18 chemotherapeutic drugs in 9 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 3 clinical trials, 4 post-transplant immuno-suppressant drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from scanning from 45+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans. Two lymphoid malignancies plus a myeloid malignancy lend a certain symmetry to the journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Senior User
    The 30 and 5 alternating not too bad. Compared to 95 which is hell. I hope that you will slowly be able to continue to go down, but it takes time. Sometimes a long time. I’ve not heard of this Kardmon (sp?) drug. But Im out of the cutting edge gvhd drug loop at the moment. And Im hoping I dont need to get into the loop, but I will be watching. Because I know how this goes.

I’ll try to be concise but here is what Ive done since last signiture update - I took Ibrutinib for my gvhd starting in Spring 2015 off label while I was with NIH. Used it for about 6 months in conjunction with ECP with no noticable improvement. We dropped it after a sepsis episode and switched to Ruxalitinib and Tacro and saw a lot of skin improvement bur then dropped both of those. First the Rux due to ongoing gastro issues for which I had a laporotomy and later the tacro after a seizure and developing TTP. We regrouped and I started taking Enbrel in conjunction with sirolimis in fall 2016. But my chronic norovirus got completely out of control within a few months. The diarrhea got so bad that I was ultimatley starving to death. Went on TPN 24/7 in May 2017. And that made all the difference. IV nutrition! All my counts bounced back. Hemoglobin went from 7 to 12.5, platlets went for 50 to 250 and all my nutritional stats bounced back. Then weaned the Enbrel a couple months into the TPN and then dropped the Sitolimus in September. Norovirus appears to have resolved or be rsolving. Still do tpn 2 days, 12 hours a day mostly for hydration but plan to eliminate soon. Maybe I would have fared better on more drugs or different drugs but we’ll never know. Its a constant risk versus reward, wait and see, never knowing what is around the corner. And of course the always present looming anxiety of cancer relapse.

Keep at it. Its amazing life can still be extraordinary in the midst of all this. And for me, I come here to see how you guys are all doing and to feel a bit less of an alien.

Best of luck with this new trial.

Mary

My GvHD is mild in comparison to yours, and I keep that in mind. Still, I can easily tell the difference between 30 and 5mg days. Chest rash, and red itchy bumps on back and biceps. Some days it will wake me up and I must scald it in the shower and then steroid/CeraVe and back to sleep.
    The Kadmon trial might now be filled in its 2a phase. However, I hear that they will again be recruiting in March or so for probably a different phase. It is an oral pill, so easy peasy in that regard. Generally well tolerated Dr. says.

You are 100% right in that life is still worth living through all of this. It is all in how we look at life.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TREC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measureable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    01/18 Consented for Kadmon clinical trial of drug KD025, a ROCK2 inhibitor that is believed to help with chronic GvHD.
    To date: 18 chemotherapeutic drugs in 9 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 3 clinical trials, 4 post-transplant immuno-suppressant drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from scanning from 45+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans. Two lymphoid malignancies plus a myeloid malignancy lend a certain symmetry to the journey.

Senior User
    You definitely are "special"! Are you still eligible for the trial with this latest virus?

Quote Originally Posted by debpower View Post
    You definitely are "special"! Are you still eligible for the trial with this latest virus?
    Hey deb! I have been consented and will have EKG and bloods done tomorrow - if the viruses do not kill me before then. At least I pick up a new type of virus each year! Was that my resolution? I don't seem to remember...
    02/09 2) Relapse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Z View Post
    PO,
    I will be following closely and wishing you well as you venture into this new trial. So pleased to see you wacked away the mds. You are relentless!!! I havent been able to update my signature for some reason but I can tell you that after years of some pretty horrific skin (ocular and gut) gvhd it appears to be burning out...or secretly doing something else. Yikes. Only time will tell. 10 mg pred is all thats left to my drug regimen in battling gvhd. Dropped everything else (enbrel and sirilumus most recently) to fight chronic norovirus. The dropping of suppression seems to be helping resolve viral infection and without any yet to be recognized upswing on the gvhd. I was always told of the phantom “gvhd burnout” but never really believed it. Here’s hoping!

Wishing you all the very best.

Mary
    Mary,

am just so very pleased to read that you seem to be turning the corner on the gvhd. That is the very best news I have heard in a bunch of days. Sending lots of hugs and much love......And thanks so much for the positive update.

David
    65 yrs old
    March 6, 2012: Diagnosed Anaplastic Large (T-) Cell Lymphoma, Stage 1 (ALK-)
    3 rounds of CHOP unsuccessful.
    Beginning mid-June, 2012, received 6 cycles of Brentuximab at Huntsman Cancer Institute, University of Utah. Pet scans after 4th and 6th cycles showed no evidence of lymphoma.
    Autologous bone marrow transplant in November of 2012.
    17 radiation treatments for "consolidation" purposes between Dec. 26 and Jan.17.
    100 day post BMT check-up (2/26/13): NED. Pet scan on 7/10/13: Still NED.
    One year post transplant check-up: Still fine; NED.
    18month post-translant scans, etc. All fine, save a bit of arthritis.
    11/14/14: 24 month post transplant check-up--still NED. Scanziety still sucks.
    5/15/15: No NED this time; reactive nodes in groin; scheduling biopsy.
    Relapse confirmed/ started every 3 week brentuximab
    Allo transplant in Feb 2016.
    100 day post transplant scans in June 2016 fine.
    1 yr. post transplant blood work fine; clean scan. No GvHD so far.

Half-good news. The Rhinovirus seems to have retreated. However, the fairly recently isolated (2001) Metapneumovirus, or MPV, is taking a pretty good whack at me. I may be able to enter the study with the MPV present, but we shall see. Just tired and sore from incessant coughing and consequent shortness of breath.

All the more reason to glove and mask up if you are immune suppressed.
    02/09 2) Relapse.

Top User
    I’m so sorry these viruses seem to line up to each take a whack at you. You have been so brave, Jim. I admire you so much and thank you so much for being so supportive during Al’s fight.
    His fight is over. How brave he was. 47 years of love.