A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 88 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: One haploidentical transplant experience (ongoing)

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar

One haploidentical transplant experience (ongoing)

After seven years contending with first one, then two slightly different T-Cell Lymphomas, virtually every conceivable combination of standard therapy, as well as novel agents and trial drugs was tried (8 regimens involving 16 drugs). Then, three PET scans in succession ominously stated "Progression." So, the time had arrived to exercise the "nuclear option" of a transplant. In the case of a relapsed T-Cell Lymphoma, an autologous transplant is not expected to produce a durable remission, and is usually thought of as "buying time" until a new therapy is introduced. Naturally, there is no guarantee of any new therapy. There was no suitable donor found in the world registry of donors, either in 2009 or again this year. I have no siblings. So, both of my children were tested and both were found to be acceptable for a half-matched (hapolidentical) transplant. We went with my son's stem cells, as gender matching tends to reduce the occurrence and severity of GvHD. We wondered about the less stringent matching required for a cord blood transplant, but those aged under 30 and over 60 tend to do worse with them. The reason is unknown - it remains a statistical observation.

We live an hour's drive from the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, generally credited with being the pioneer in transplants. Since I had been treated all along at their treatment arm (Seattle Cancer Care Alliance), it was only a matter of visiting another floor in the same building. The preparation was thorough and not exactly pleasant at all times, but nevertheless necessary. The original plan was for a tandem auto/allo transplant, but insurance denied that. This did not bother anyone, as I was in full radiological response at the time. There is a statistic-driven cutoff at age 60 for full allogeneic transplants, as mortality increases past that age. At the same time, a min-allo was not deemed to be the most effective option. So, they proposed a moderate-intensity allogeneic transplant. My marrow would not be ablated, but heavily suppressed, allowing just enough remaining to combat infection.

After the conditioning chemo, I must admit that the transplant itself was absolutely anti-climactic. It seemed nothing more than a transfusion of pale-appearing blood. What followed was somewhat more interesting.
    Last edited by po18guy; 02-23-2019 at 05:52 AM.

Regular User
    Looking forward to "the rest of the story" here, PO

BTW, tried to reply to your PM and got this error "
    The following errors occurred with your submission. po18guy has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space. "

Seems you are just too popular!

TTYL -
    - CC

4/2012 Dx AITL; 5/2012 CHOP/RCHOP, Sorafenib/Nexavar, 11/2012 MRD PBSCT (& remission), 5/2013-present cGvHD

Quote Originally Posted by stripe34 View Post
    Looking forward to "the rest of the story" here, PO

BTW, tried to reply to your PM and got this error "
    The following errors occurred with your submission. po18guy has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space. "

Seems you are just too popular!

TTYL -
    - CC

4/2012 Dx AITL; 5/2012 CHOP/RCHOP, Sorafenib/Nexavar, 11/2012 MRD PBSCT (& remission), 5/2013-present cGvHD
    Welcome, CC! It is either popularity, or being too lazy to clear some message space! There is room now. I skipped over the transplant preparation so far, as it was mostly testing and sampling. However, in retrospect, the variety and depth of it does represent the seriousness of the procedure. As well, this is intended to be an on-going conversation, as the transplant develops over time just as life itself does.

This does point to one major difference between conventional therapy and transplant: in cancer treatment it is the disease that threatens us, while in transplant it is the procedure itself that carries the most risk.
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    01/18 Consented for Kadmon clinical trial.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

I was scheduled as a completely outpatient transplant, which is an amazing improvement from the early days of transplants, in which hospitalization was the norm for perhaps three months. And, that is how it began, but not how it was realized. DW and I have been going over the exact sequence of events. Fred Hutchinson requires that transplant patients live within 30 minutes of their facility and/or the university hospital - in case of some emergency post-transplant. We were at least an hour away with good traffic, so we scouted out and rented a studio apartment 5 blocks from the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, where the transplant team is located.

We "thought" that we would have two days or so to move our minimal amenities into the apartment between conditioning and transplant, as we had not completed On July 11th and 12th (the 12th being our anniversary!) I received the conditioning chemo (Cytoxan/Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine) in hospital. No drama at that point, so we (DW was staying with me) were released. Yet, we could not return home as we had planned, but had to go directly to the apartment. Ooops. Our daughter stayed with me while DW made a mad dash home for clothes, food, etc. We were pretty much camping, no matter how you view it.
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

One fairly important factor that may be missed or overlooked in allogeneic transplants is that of the donor's immune system. To be certain, it is a healthier immune system than our own, yet there are factors that we will "inherit" from that donor. Case in point: my son. He was my donor, but was born with a hyper-vigilant immune system. Numerous allergies and asthma. Since the exact cause of asthma is unknown, there was little concern about that being passed on. However, my son is allergic to various medicines and numerous common foods: beef, eggs, all dairy, all seafood, nuts, seeds and carrots (that we know of). With the exception of beef, it is most everything that I love. So far, dark chocolate (no milk) and coffee are still good. I do not know how I will continue to exist if I end up allergic to those!

However, with only my children as potential donors, we went with the recommended gender-matching and I received my son's stem cells. Fairly early on, I began to suspect that allergies were developing. Though the transplant team was somewhat skeptical so soon after transplant, I had an immune reaction while I was receiving hydration at the transplant center on about day 70 post-transplant. This required benadryl and I ended up with swollen eyes and throat, itchy palms and hives on my arms. The nurse notified the transplant team and they have scheduled me for allergy testing.

I did not go through BeTheMatch or any other stem cell registry. Those who do, and who have the choice between two or more donors might investigate those donors for such allergies prior to transplant. From them, we inherit memory T-cells, which react to infectious agents and allergens that they have encountered before. The good is that our system will be "pre-loaded" against many common infections; the not-so-good being that we will most likely receive their allergies. In my case, even though this lead to acute graft-versus-host disease, there is also a strong chance that it will attack any remaining lymphoma cells (graft-versus-lymphoma effect).
    02/09 2) Relapse.

Not completely unexpectedly, the scans revealed a clot at the cannula of the Hickman catheter. This occurred a couple years ago at that spot on my power port, so it is not without precedent. So, off we go to clinic to determine what sort of course change this will bring.

Edit: the solution for the foreseeable future is twice daily abdominal injections of Lovenox, an anti-coagulant drug. A scan at some point in the future will reveal any progress made against it.
    Last edited by po18guy; 10-14-2015 at 03:13 AM.
    02/09 2) Relapse.

Senior User
    I like your new thread! Sorry, but I have been out of the loop for a while. I was out of the country, and then got sick but now I am back. My brother's treatment has been chaotic as of recently. Lots of neutropenia, disruption in Rimodepsin chemo, PET scans, etc... Bottom line is that he is now starting two cycles of ICE because the cancer is back with a vengeance, as we all know this is the way this cancer goes with a little lapse in treatment. After the two cycles, he will have PET scan, and if all looks good, go directly to GO (sorry had to joke for a second) - he will go to MSK for a transplant the end of November hopefully. The team is ready for him. This is his chance. I'm so glad PO that you are doing so well. You are truly amazing and continue to be such an inspiration to me.

Thanks, Deb! I have recovered much of my normal self rather than remaining grumpy after picking up a couple of new diagnoses in the past 24 hours. I am now in the osteoporosis club, apparently due to the years of chemo. This was my first bone scan, so it could have been present for years. Better to know so that I can hit the calcium. To top that off, the radiologist noted a 4cm thrombus (clot) in my jugular vein, but above the Hickman cannula. I had one two years ago that was associated with the power port, but this one is upstream. So, it is on to twice-daily injections of Lovenox for the next several months, it appears.

We had a few of the discharge/long-term follow-up teaching classes today, but it all seems to be information overload inasmuch as we are expected to live one day at a time. And, with so many things that can go wrong with the body, best to put them out of one's consciousness until and unless they arrive. As to your brother, I hope that they hit on a regimen that preps him well for transplant. The Romidepsin neutropenia was less of a concern in my case, since they had tapered dosage off to a single treatment monthly for the last 1 1/2-2 years.

For what it is worth, the newly devised regimen that dissolved two dozen tumors and eradicated the disease in my small intestine (in only two cycles) is called TREC. As I understand it, the regimen was primarily formulated by Dr. Ajay Gopal at Fred Hutchinson.

For B-Cell Lymphomas, it consists of: Bendamustine (Treanda), Rituxan, Etoposide and Carboplatin.
    For T-Cell Lymphomas (other than ALCL), the Rituxan is omitted, as it is not effective against T-Cells.

Certainly worth asking his doctor about, at least. It was basically my last hope for remission, and it came through beautifully.

Clean PET scan

After a somewhat disappointing start, the week finished rather well. In clinic this afternoon, I was advised that the PET scan revealed absolutely no avid uptake. So, a very good report and it boosted our hope that (worst case) my immune system can mature for at least some period of time before it has to encounter another relapse. No adjustments to medication, as we are trying to eliminate all non-GvHD causes of skin manifestations. That will separate the GvHD out from other potential causes, making it easier to identify and treat.
    02/09 2) Relapse.

Senior User
    I have already alerted my brother and his wife to the TREC you were on, also thinking it might be a good possibility for him. They are going to bring it up to the transplant doctor and team when they meet on Nov. 20th. He is in the stage right now of thinking "on my gosh - my whole life is about to be moved to NY' and they are trying to figure out how they will manage and close things up here in Virginia while they move to NY for several months. From what you are describing about your transplant, it seems like there is always something going on that needs to be monitored, right? Did you read Robin Roberts book? I've been debating about reading it since I hear it really lays it all out there. Hope today is a good day for you!