A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 55 of 58 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: One haploidentical transplant experience (ongoing)

Senior User
    Great News, Jim! Keep up the good work!
    Researcher, advocate, and caregiver to my son, age 24
    July 2016, Diagnosed with Systemic ALCL ALK-neg, DUSP-neg, stage IV, IPI 2, PIT 1, normal LDH, normal B2 microglobulin
    Sept 2016, Third round of E-CHOP complete; PET scan NED
    Nov 2016, Sixth and final round of E-CHOP completed - Continued to live alone and work two jobs through chemo!
    Dec 2016, PET scan NED
    March 2017, Experiencing symptoms: cough and stomach issues. Found two small lumps in neck
    March 2017, CT scan shows relapse. Confirmed by PET
    April 2017, CD-30 confirmed with biopsy; Begin Brentuximab for at least three cycles
    May 2017, Biopsy came back with new diagnosis: Classical Hodgkin's! Likely misdiagnosed initially (by three different pathologists)
    June 2017, Only partial remission with Brentuximab
    July, 2017, ICE x 2 (worst yet). Awaiting PET-CT scan.
    August, 2017, very good response, but not CR, moving forward with ASCT. Outpatient at CBCI in Denver.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David52 View Post
    Plus, to not put too fine of a point on it, you (and I) is old! Neither of us should be out and about. So lets just keep whacking at those stats.
    65!!! It's getting serious! You and I are pushing the age stats forward in allo transplants.

Quote Originally Posted by VMarie View Post
    Great News, Jim! Keep up the good work!
    Thank you! I was rather surprised to hear that nothing major is going on in my marrow. during ECP on Monday, I hope to get a full report, or at least a copy.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TREC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measureable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease. Active surveillance is the course of choice.
    To date: 18 chemotherapeutic drugs in 9 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 3 clinical trials, 4 post-transplant immuno-suppressant drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from scanning from 45+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans. Two lymphoid malignancies plus a myeloid malignancy lend a certain symmetry to the journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

MDs or MDS?

Big day yesterday, even if I left home blissfully unaware. I was expecting a blood draw and the usual ECP treatment. On arrival, I found out that I had not only that, but also a Dexa scan of my bones, to check the status of the osteoporosis. From there, it was off to pulmonary function testing to check for evidence of GvHD in my lungs. Then, 10 vials of blood for what seems like every test known, and then off to follow up for grip-strength testing and a timed walk related to the clinical trial I am in. My lungs, grip strength and walking were all satisfactory. After that, it was an appointment with the long-term follow-up transplant folks.

After some listening to my lungs, having various sections of skin pinched and mobilized for sclerosis evaluation, checking joint flexibility and having photos taken, it was off to ECP. A plus is that the ECP seems to be improving the scleroderma, a thickening/tightening of the skin associated with allogeneic transplants. The attending physician was surprised at the GvHD, as most Haploidentical transplants are essentially free of that unwanted side effect. Ah, but that applies to others! However, the quick lunch that I had wolfed down in between seems to have had some cross-contamination, which caused a flare of the rash on my upper body. Great timing!

So, a skin punch biopsy was done as I was connected to the ECP centrifuge (a non-exploding version!). But, I also learned that my marrow, while clear of lymphoma or leukemia, showed 2% cells with what is known as "20q Deletion" a genetic error that is seen in cases of MyeloDysplastic Syndrome, technically a marrow cancer. It is a condition that will be watched and is not treated unless it progresses substantially.

Oh, still waiting for a call back from the podiatrist, as one big toe nail is now ingrown while I stubbed the other and it will have to be removed. In the lab, I saw a three year old who was in chemo for a childhood cancer. I have nothing to complain about.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TREC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measureable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease. Active surveillance is the course of choice.
    To date: 18 chemotherapeutic drugs in 9 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 3 clinical trials, 4 post-transplant immuno-suppressant drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from scanning from 45+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans. Two lymphoid malignancies plus a myeloid malignancy lend a certain symmetry to the journey.

You make my journey look like a veritable walk in the park, POGuy. It is truly amazing what you have endured (and continue to endure) in the name of both science and survival. You are an amazing person.

Good health,

kermica

As K said, we are so far in a tolerable if not complicated existence.
    You on the other hand I'm quite sure are responsible in part or whole for rewriting medical textbooks.
    Yes I understand your mention of childhood cancers and indeed what do we have to complain about.
    Unique you maybe not, inspirational most definitely.
    And life goes on.
    take care pal
    Baz
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    October -still the same pains but under semi control.
    Additional chest CT scan ordered for 11th November prior to surgery.
    Sinus surgery done and dusted.
    July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20, 23/08 now 8.2.
    Prostate Cancer confirmed Gleason 3+4.
    Active surveillance ceased and intervention recommended.
    PET CT Aug 2017 indicated lung nodule changes
    CT Guided biopsy 07/09 to be done.
    Just a little recurrence and another 20 cm of colon vanished under the knife.

Not all's rosy in the garden, but see following.
    Stop grumbling Baz, your still alive and kicking so far.
    Age and illness doesn't define who we are, but more what we are able to do.
    Motto
    Do what I love doing, when I can until I can't.
    and dodging bullets in the meanwhile, too many bullets at moment.

Experienced User
    PO, since I am comparatively new to this cancer I haven't a clue what you're talking about. But the anxiety, now... that I am well aware of. You have been so exceptional in your way of dealing with your cancer (cancers???) up to now that I am convinced you will keep on being the brilliant and tough fighter you have always been. For yourself and everyone else here reading your posts. If any one can, not only survive but transcend and thrive, in this situation it is you.

Sending positive vibes,

Marie

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Simply mind boggling Po! For all that has been your journey and added "bumps" along the way, you my friend, is inspirational and that is putting it mildly. I know you do not like those accolades but they are true, at least in my mind and the mind of others.

I agree with Baz, you are rewriting medical textbooks for sure.

On the other note regarding that poor children, it kind of puts things in perspective when seeing someone so young have to go through so much at such a young tender age. Heartbreaking.

Lisa

Lifelong resident of Lake Woebegon (Minnezotah), moved to Louisiana last November
    Geez po18guy!! Do you have a subscription to the Cancer of the Month Club?? To quote John Cleese: "All right, stop it now, it's just gotten silly....." Googling the 20q deletion gets you a sunny forecast of clear sailing and calm seas well over the horizon..... It would appear that the three most likely threats to your existence are boredom, motorcycles, and oncological whoopee cushions! Be careful where you step and sit!!
    05/6/16 pre-op physical for knee surgery show low WBC & RBC
    05/22/16 [Birthday] Results of BM biopsy: AML 25% blasts CD34 with inv t(3:3) mutation, HIGH risk
    05/30/16 Undergo 3+7 chemo regimen
    06/??/16 TSHTF!! 3+7 doesn't touch AML, knocks out immune system, infections nearly kill me. Blasts 65%
    07/04/16 Diagnosis now Refractory AML. [:tombstone:]
    Six 4 week cycles of azacitidine, 21 injections over 7 days with 1.5" long needle into gut AND below navel.
    11/05/16 Wife & I move to North Shore Lake Ponchatrain - Infusion center 4 minutes away.
    15 injections for 5 days M-F with 5/8" 25 ga. needle Huge increase in quality of life.
    12/28/16 BMB shows CD34 cells 12%
    Three 5 week cycles of azacitidine.
    04/16/17 BMB shows CD34 16%, cycles dropped to 4 weeks.
    7/20/17 Diagnosis changed to "indolent leukemia", aka MDS
    7/27/17 BMB shows CD34 17%
    8/15/17 Venclexta chemo in PILL form added
    Oncologist estimates survival time now 2 - 4 YEARS!!!

Cancer is not killing me, but all of you are, with your effusive praise. Really. So, good news from the podiatrist. I get to keep both nails and Dr. trimmed them up from their chemo-ghoulish forms. Left big toenail was 3-4mm thick and it takes a telephone lineman's pliers to cut it. Oddly, the left nail was attached only about 1/3 of its length, with the rest just hovering, unattached, over the former nailbed. Didn't know this. That makes it far easier to trim now. He could have pulled it and used an acid solution to deaden the root so that it would not re-grow, but thought it best not to, given my immune suppression. Agreement all around on that. He also said that we "special" patients have powerful doctors and advised me to have my hematologist or transplant F/U doctor call his office and "order" an appointment next time, as I would not then have to get the phone tree or any run around. DW and I were also good with that. So, off we went to a 30% off sale at a bead store, some local BBQ and life remains very good.
    02/09 2) Relapse.

Three words po.
    excellent simply excellent.
    Barry
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    October -still the same pains but under semi control.
    Additional chest CT scan ordered for 11th November prior to surgery.
    Sinus surgery done and dusted.
    July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20, 23/08 now 8.2.
    Prostate Cancer confirmed Gleason 3+4.
    Active surveillance ceased and intervention recommended.
    PET CT Aug 2017 indicated lung nodule changes
    CT Guided biopsy 07/09 to be done.
    Just a little recurrence and another 20 cm of colon vanished under the knife.

Not all's rosy in the garden, but see following.
    Stop grumbling Baz, your still alive and kicking so far.
    Age and illness doesn't define who we are, but more what we are able to do.
    Motto
    Do what I love doing, when I can until I can't.
    and dodging bullets in the meanwhile, too many bullets at moment.