A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Abnormal pap /colposcopy scheduled

Newbie New User

Abnormal pap /colposcopy scheduled

Hi all! I've looked through several pages of posts, but haven't found anything similar to my situation...so please forgive me if this is a repeat/similar thread.

I've had some minor health issues lately that have ultimately landed me at a pap and transvaginal ultrasound. The pap has come back (u/s hasn't yet), it's abnormal with ASC-H and AGC.

Back story is, 7 years ago during pregnancy with my daughter, I had another abnormal pap come back as high grade HPV/positive...colposcopy done, but was told it was minor and likely due to pregnancy, that it would go away and to repeat pap after my daughter was born.....lack of healthcare, and other personal reasons prevented me from following up ��

So here we are now...some health issues ranging in length of time & severity are weight gain, systemic inflammation (sed rate and CRP elevated on labs for 6 months), liver enlarged on ct scan, liver enzymes elevated, anemic, low potassium, irregular periods, bleeding between periods, and urinary difficulty.

I am most concerned about the AGC, but I am looking for anyone who had them both on an abnormal pap? If so, what were your experiences? I've read that AGC can be particularly suspicious of disease, but with possibility of being outside cervix. I am curious if the concurrent ASC-H could imply that it is in cervix. I'm having colposcopy and endometrial biopsy on the 9th. I'll be going crazy until then. There is most certainly a tremendous amount of shame and guilt for not following up 7 years ago, and in the years in between then and now.

Any advice and support will be greatly valued.

Thank you for reading.

*Update* This time HPV came back negative.
    Last edited by MommytoMadi; 11-24-2015 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Update

Newbie New User
    Can this be moved back to Cervical Cancer forum, please.

I've been diagnosed, and I want for the main post to be read in that forum.

*** Received phone call from doctor last week, asking me to come in immediately. My heart literally dropped. Colposcopy revealed carcinoma in situ, ecc revealed the same, with glandular involvement. The endometrial biopsy was unsuccessful, so that tissue could not be evaluated. Doc mentioned during colposcopy that she felt like she may not have gotten any endometrial tissue.

She's doing a cone biopsy, a d&c and a hysterplasty. I am numb, lost, and absolutely terrified.

I'm curious to know of others experience with glandular involvement in addition to squamous...the literature in daunting.

I'm enjoying the holidays, staying positive...but secretly breaking down.

Thanks for any help, advice, support.

Senior User
    I know nothing about your cancer as I have 2 other cancers. But from my general cancer knowledge, it should be treatable, especially if it's HPV positive. Normally they do surgery, chemo and rads for localized cancers, for advanced cancers there are a lot of clinical trials with newer drugs, such as immunotherapy drugs. http://www.cancerresearch.org/cancer...ervical-cancer.
    The progress in cancer treatment is huge, you will survive.
    66y female, dx @43 in 1992 - DLBCL (aggressive lymphoma) CHOP x 6, rads x 20. 2007- Follicular Lymphoma (FL) grade1-2, stage 2, rads x 20. 2013 relapsed FL, grade 1-2, stage 4. R-bendamustine x 6. Finished Jan 2015. Rituxan maintenance till 2017. 11/2014 bladder cancer, surgery end of Jan 2015.

Senior User
    Hi there, wish I had seen this sooner. I hope you are still around. I can't answer your medical questions as every case is different but I will be there to support you. I went through the scare, diagnosis (staged 2b), and treatment (radiation and chemo) this year and am now on the other side. I found that writing out my experience on this forum and getting the support of others helped tremendously. I hope you'll stick around and keep us updated. Did you have your follow up appointment this week?

Newbie New User
    Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm glad to hear from someone who has been in my shoes! I am absolutely terrified. I think I'm most concerned because while for now it's being listed as stage 0, the report from pathology says there is suggestion of deeper endocervical involvement. I'm concerned that means my uterus, which would put me into stage 2. I'm done having children, my tubes were tied 6 years ago, so I am all for a hysterectomy. I just want it out of my body!!!! The wait is excruciating. I am anticipating the cone biopsy to be sometime around the last week of January, or 1st week of February. They're also doing a d&c to check my uterus. I will definitely keep posted!!! Thanks again. While I'm sure "I will survive", I have a young daughter, and the thought of even a remote possibility of leaving her motherless is absolutely heartwrenching. Thanks for your understanding ��

Senior User
    Hi Mom to Madi, did you all have a nice holiday? Sorry to hear your next appointment isn't for another month since waiting and worrying seems the hardest part for many of us! My experience was different- there was more urgency so everything happened in a matter of days- it was a whirlwind. From what you've shared, I'm guessing that a hysterectomy will be the suggested course of treatment. That will eliminate any risk of recurrence. Stay strong MTM, and happy new year!

Newbie New User
    My understanding from my doctor, it purely a matter of getting surgery scheduled & insurance in line. I imagine it will be last week of January. She's doing cold knife cone biopsy, along with a d&c, and a hysterplasty. Since I have a blood clotting disorder, I have to be on warafin (blood thinner), for 2 weeks prior to any surgery. I'll be a nervous wreck until it's done!!