A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: my mom has stomach cancer

Newbie New User

my mom has stomach cancer

my mom has stomach cancer that has spread to the esophagus and bones. She doesn't sleep at all maybe 1-2 hours. She is in hospice care in her home. They gave her lunesta but it's not helping at all. my siblings and and I take turns spending the night with her.

Can any one give me some advice?

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    I am saddened to hear of your mom's diagnosis. I believe you are doing the best you can . Hospice is very good about managing any pain.

The only advice really is to keep doing what your doing. Being surrounded by her loved ones is a gift and can help settle her.

It's so hard witnessing a loved one decline from this insidious disease but her knowing you are all there for her means more than you can imagine.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Lisa

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. Is she sleeping during the day. Many times, as the end gets closer, people start to slip in and out of sleep throughout the day and night. If she isn't sleeping because of pain or discomfort, I would talk to hospice about it.

Best of luck to both of you at this difficult time.
    7/12 DX stage 3 pan can (adenocarcinoma) @ 65 - borderline resectable
    8/12 - 10/12 Chemo (GTX) & Stereotactic Radiation
    12/12 Whipple - R0 margins, 2/29 nodes pos.
    1/13 - 5/16 Vaccine clinical trial - randomized to control group - vaccine showed no benefit
    2/13 - 8/13 Gemzar for 6 months
    Quarterly scans - no evidence of disease to 10/14 - spot on lung being watched - possible infection 2 months on antibiotics
    3/15 - spot larger - probable met - surgery planned
    4/15 - PET prior to surg - recurrence & lung mets - Surgery cancelled - EUS w/ FNA showed adenocarcinoma - Stage 4
    5/15 - 9/15 Folfirinox @ reduced dosage - Stopped treatment after 11 infusions due to neuropathy
    10/15 - 8/16 maintenance 5-fu every other week
    8/16 - stable disease on both CT and PET/CT - chemo holiday while other treatments explored
    9/16 - lung biopsy confirms pan can met,
    10/16 -NanoKnife to pancreatic bed -PET after Nano showed new met in hilar lymph nodes - SBRT to both lung & lymph
    4/17 - PET/CT showed significant disease progression, multiple lung mets, pancreatic bed tumor has grown
    5/17 - Started hospice care - striving for acceptance

Stay busy and live life to the best of your ability.