A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Concern about my dad's auto stem cell transplant

Hybrid View

Newbie New User

Concern about my dad's auto stem cell transplant

Hello, All!

I posted in another cancer discussion forum where PO18GUY responded. Just to recap, here's my dad's situation:

He was diagnosed in 2014 with Splenal Marginal Zone Lymphoma, Stage IV. After a splenectomy, his cancer transformed into DLBCL. He went through 6 rounds of R-CHOP and seemed to be responding beautifully until after the last one, where his cancer rushed back like gangbusters. It was a huge disappointment.

He has just had his first infusion of R-ICE in preparation for an autologous stem cell transplant. It appears to be working, since he's feeling better, walking, and eating just fine. But, then, the first round of chemo appeared to be working, also.

He's scheduled for a second infusion on Tuesday/Wednesday. They haven't done any scans yet (?) to check and see if it's working. (Why would they expose him to those toxic chemicals again unless they're sure?)

He is scheduled to leave our hometown -- with the incompetent and inexperienced oncologists -- to come to the Mayo Clinic, Rochester for his transplant. He's definitely being cared for by the best of the best here.

I have a lot of questions and, honestly, so many fears. I'm afraid the R-ICE won't produce a remission and, if it does, I'm afraid he'll relapse right after transplant. My fears definitely keep me up at night.

He, on the other hand, is approaching this with faith and prayer and is living each day as best he can.

Part of my fear might be spurred by the fact that I lost my fiance' suddenly at the age of 37 four months ago. He had an exceptionally rare thing happen to him -- he died of a heart attack at the age of 37. It's hard for me to believe my dad might be okay when I have just lost the love of my life this way.

I have been reading up on all sorts of new therapies lately hoping that there might be possible salvage therapies available even if he relapses from the auto-sct. Would he be eligible for an all-sct? Or would CAR T-Cell Therapies be out by then that might be able to help him?

Just wanting some assurance, wisdom, and advice.

Thank you!

I'm sure POguy will answer. He is so knowledgeable and just went through a SCT. My heart goes out to you about your fiancÚ'. How heart breaking. Many hugs. Remember to take care of yourself. The Mayo is a great place to be, a top Cancer clinic.
    His fight is over. How brave he was. 47 years of love.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Liz, you have not even had the time to recover from the loss of your fiancÚ, and now this! You are clearly struggling with various fears, and understandably so. Your dad is going to a great facility, and the nature of his lymphoma should be well known there. You are correct that lymphoma that has transformed into DLBCL is a challenge - but it is only more challenging and not unbeatable. All is not lost. Aside from your dad, you have to survive this! So, you must go against everything that you have been taught, i.e. "look ahead, plan ahead." When facing such an illness, think about shrinking your world down to day-by-day, otherwise it can become overwhelming. It may be that you are too close to the tipping point now, after what you have been through.

Regarding dad's lymphoma, there is a process known as gene mapping that can give the hematologists an exact idea of the mutation(s) in dad's DLBCL that make it different from other cases. That way, they have a body of research to fall back on, and guidance in determining treatment. It is very difficult, but try not to get too far ahead. We can only live tomorrow if and when tomorrow arrives. Until then, we must focus on today. Why worry about something that may never occur? If your thoughts or worries are becoming intrusive, there is absolutely help available for that. It can restore your peace of mind, which is what family and caregivers need.
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    01/18 Consented for Kadmon clinical trial.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Liz, I forgot to mention (here) the newly developed regimen that put my heavily pre-treated, highly chemo-resistant stage IV T-Cell Lymphoma into remission: TREC. It was developed and underwent clinical trial at Fred Hutchinson in Seattle (and possibly other facilities). Specifically designed to be less toxic than ICE and effective against B-Cell as well as T-Cell Lymphomas. It consists of:

1. Treanda (Bendamustine)
    2. Rituxan
    3. Etoposide
    4. Carboplatin

It worked wonders in my case - doctor was actually more excited about my complete response than I was. I can imagine it eventually being used as conditioning chemo for transplant, but that will have to wait for now. Please let us know how dad is doing!
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

Moderator Top User
    Hi, just to add Po's advice is sound and you need to follow this if you can given all you are trying to deal with, I just wanted to offer some reassurance that as dlbc is one of the common lymphomas the is a lot of recent studies and some new trials all of which have been shared with the profession. So given your dad is being treated at a top centre they will have access and possibly knowledge of these papers. The key when dealing with challenging dlbc is understanding the genetic and molecular issues associated with his lymphoma. That way they can decide which is the best combination of drugs to use.
    It is still early days in treating him so don't get ahead of yourself, the are still options both now and in the future should they be needed.
    NHL DLBC aggressive stage 4B advanced
    diagnosed april 09
    after 8 rchop and a couple of delays, in remission
    some long term side effects to manage post treatment
    some blips and investigations on the journey but now
    22nd oct 2014 discharged no more hospital visits

we are all on a roller coaster ride, riding blind never knowing where the highs and lows are.

Quote Originally Posted by johnr View Post
    Hi, just to add Po's advice is sound and you need to follow this if you can given all you are trying to deal with, I just wanted to offer some reassurance that as dlbc is one of the common lymphomas the is a lot of recent studies and some new trials all of which have been shared with the profession. So given your dad is being treated at a top centre they will have access and possibly knowledge of these papers. The key when dealing with challenging dlbc is understanding the genetic and molecular issues associated with his lymphoma. That way they can decide which is the best combination of drugs to use.
    It is still early days in treating him so don't get ahead of yourself, the are still options both now and in the future should they be needed.
    Thanks for your kind words, John. As to your signature, it does seem as if we are either suddenly thrust into space or smashed headlong into an uphill.
    02/09 2) Relapse.