A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Transplant time

Senior User
    David, so glad to hear you are doing so well! You really are amazing. My husband and I took our grandson to Yellowstone this summer so we got to visit your beautiful state. I can see why you like to run with all there is to look at! Stay well and you have a great fall too.

Quote Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
    Say, isn't it time to retire or did you...?
    Well, I've pondered that. But all my workmates forbid it at the moment. My favorite law partner says she will call me a quitter if I retire now. So I guess I'm still hanging for a bit. Just celebrated my 40th year with the Department of Justice....Am shamelessly proud of that. All that said, I have a much easier job situation than you did, PO. I don't have to chase any bad guys, or arrest anyone....I just go yip about them in court. Way easier business, that. What has made all this work stuff easier, actually, is the "once every other week" testosterone injections I get from my urologist. One of the things we learned post transplant was that I had a really low testosterone level....way low. So my transplant doc and my local docs all agreed that I would feel better if we did something about that. I do feel physically better, and my running is way stronger....but what I most noticed from this course of treatment is that it has had a huge impact on my chemo brain issues. I'm actually way better at my job now than I was pre-cancer....so this has obviously been a fairly longstanding issue. Anyway, end result is I'm really enjoying my work now....so I guess i'll stay with it a while, til I feel like I'm due some extended summer vacation....which I really haven't had since the Ford Administration.....

Glad your hanging in, PO. You're a hero.

David
    66 yrs old
    March 6, 2012: Diagnosed Anaplastic Large (T-) Cell Lymphoma, Stage 1 (ALK-)
    3 rounds of CHOP unsuccessful.
    Beginning mid-June, 2012, received 6 cycles of Brentuximab at Huntsman Cancer Institute, University of Utah. Autologous bone marrow transplant in November of 2012.
    17 radiation treatments for "consolidation" purposes between Dec. 26 and Jan.17.
    100 day post BMT check-up (2/26/13): NED. Pet scan on 7/10/13: Still NED.
    One year post transplant check-up: Still fine; NED.
    18month post-translant scans, etc. All fine, save a bit of arthritis.
    11/14/14: 24 month post transplant check-up--still NED.
    5/15/15: No NED this time. Relapse confirmed/ started every 3 week brentuximab
    Allo transplant in Feb 2016.
    100 day post transplant scans in June 2016 fine.
    2 yr. post SCT check up: all fine, no issues.

Deb,

Am so glad you had a good visit! And didn't get gored by a bison or eaten by a bear! We're having those kinds of issues this year.

Come back!

David
    66 yrs old
    March 6, 2012: Diagnosed Anaplastic Large (T-) Cell Lymphoma, Stage 1 (ALK-)
    3 rounds of CHOP unsuccessful.
    Beginning mid-June, 2012, received 6 cycles of Brentuximab at Huntsman Cancer Institute, University of Utah. Autologous bone marrow transplant in November of 2012.
    17 radiation treatments for "consolidation" purposes between Dec. 26 and Jan.17.
    100 day post BMT check-up (2/26/13): NED. Pet scan on 7/10/13: Still NED.
    One year post transplant check-up: Still fine; NED.
    18month post-translant scans, etc. All fine, save a bit of arthritis.
    11/14/14: 24 month post transplant check-up--still NED.
    5/15/15: No NED this time. Relapse confirmed/ started every 3 week brentuximab
    Allo transplant in Feb 2016.
    100 day post transplant scans in June 2016 fine.
    2 yr. post SCT check up: all fine, no issues.

Senior User
    Right before our trip was when the lady was hurt by the bison, and then the man tried to "harass" them - he was very lucky. And then the week after, the young boy was attacked by a grizzly. This is our second trip there - the first with our adult son years ago. We did lots of hiking by ourselves and never saw a bear - luckily. But this trip, we finally spotted a black bear climbing up a hill. My husband and I both noticed that we were not in as good as a shape as we were in our first visit - and we didn't have any excuses! Except for age! That is very interesting about the testosterone injections helping your chemo brain and that you actually feel sharper now than before your cancer. I'm going to bring that up to my brother and see if he has experienced anything like that.