A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Weight loss class/category

Weight loss class/category

For those who remember me, Lovey is doing well. He's still on chemo every week, on the "A" week/"B" week rotation. We call them "pump weeks" and "short weeks".

The tumor I was diagnosed with this past May was a desmoid tumor (aggressive fibromatosis). They ruled out FAP and colon cancer, thank God, but the tumor required 2 surgeries to remove it all. During the first surgery, they found a stem which wasn't visible on any of the scans. As it was not an emergency, its removal didn't warrant disrupting that day's surgical schedule. It did need to come out, though, as it was beginning to penetrate the pelvic fascia. I was off work mid-June until late Aug. During my convalescence, I applied and was accepted to a post-baccalaureate program to complete my teaching certification. A week after my return to work, I resigned my position of 5 yrs to obtain my teaching certification. I passed my PRAXIS at the end of the semester and returned to the full time workforce. I'm working in dietary services until I obtain employment as a teacher.

Lovey has regained enough strength that, at age 66, he resumed full time work this past November. Yay! Sitting around being sick was harder on him than having cancer.

So far the only negative effects of his return to FT work are weight loss and his mag levels tanking. The low magnesium probably doesn't have anything to do with work, given that he's been on chemo since June 2013. He just can't get enough mag with OTC daily supplements any more, and now has to receive it via infusion. We don't know if that's a permanent thing or temporary; either way, it's a minor concern given the overall situation.

The weight loss, quite frankly, pisses me off. That's as much a result of overwork as it is chemo. In November, at the behest of a friend, he changed jobs from the PT position at his employer of 10+ years to a new FT position as the dietary manager at a long term care facility. After literally begging him to take over the dietary program at the care facility she manages, in the interim she neglected to replace two cooks who left for other jobs...leaving Lovey the only cook for three weeks. After two weeks of him working 50+ hrs/wk and his weight dropping below 150#, I heard what was to me a new term. I cannot precisely recall what it was, and am hoping you all could help.

It had to do with losing too much weight to continue chemotherapy without the doctor's consent, and was something like "Category I" or "Class III" weight loss.

Thanks in advance for the help,

MM
    Caregiver to my significant other.
    May 2008: transrectal procedure for Stage I CRC. Age 59
    April 2013: Finally "sick enough" to go to the Dr. CAT scan.
    May 2013: PET scan, surgical biopsy. DX'd terminal, inoperable, recurrent, metastatic, hypermetabolic StageIV CRC w/mets to liver & lymph node in neck
    June 2013: Port placement. Oxaliplatin, Erbitux, Xeloda
    August 2013: PET scan; NED
    September 2013: surgical repair of inguinal hernia
    November 2013: PET scan; NED
    January 2014: Changed out oxi for Irinotecan; continue Erbitux, Xeloda
    March 2014: PET scan; NED

Thanks for the update and congratulations on finishing your teaching degree. Hope you find a position soon. I retired from teaching after 34 years.

My husband's magnesium was always low when he was on Vectibix. They would give him IV magnesium during his chemo infusion. He also took Magnesium supplements.
    Aug 2013: Husband, age 62, diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer. Large tumor in sigmoid colon and mets to liver. Colostomy surgery due to a total bowel blockage.

Sept 2013-Apr 2014: Port placed, 12 rounds Folfox (2 with avastin)

May 2014-June 2014: 4 rounds Folfiri with Erbitux

Aug 2014: Surgery at The Ohio State University James Cancer Center:
    colon resection, colostomy reversal, and HAI pump

Feb 2015-Nov 2015: HAI meds no longer effective. Continue treatment at OSU, Folfiri with Vectibix.

Nov 2015- pulmonary embolism

Feb 2016- Apr 2016: Three cycles Lonsurf

May 2016: Began one cycle of Stivarga, but did not finish.

June 2016: Hospice

July 2, 2016: My husband's brave battle with colon cancer came to a peaceful end. He is now at eternal rest.

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: (2 Timothy 4:7 KJV)

http://www.timeformemory.com/fh_obit...&locationid=16

Just dropping in to say Hi.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016

Nice to hear from you. I saw your post regarding my husband's weight loss. My husband can eat most anything but I think his breathing is burning the calories up faster than he can consume food. He forces himself to eat and drink. Most times he is not hungry but tries to eat anyway. Hope everything continues to go well for you.
    Hubby diagnosed in 2005 with Stage IV, January...Journey on this road has had some major obstacles ..... God continues to help us endure each one.... enjoying life and doing as much as possible!

My Carolina Cowboy gained his angel wings in August, 2017, 11 1/2 years with Stage IV. It was an amazing journey on this bumpy road. His attitude in fighting this beast was like no other. He did not want anyone's sympathy or pity so much that a lot of our friends did not even know he was in this battle. Many, many thanks to our super oncologist, surgeons, radiologists, staff, and etc. Most thankful to our God above for letting my soulmate be with me all this time! Amazingly, most of the time in this fight was great! We enjoyed trail riding every chance we had to go and so many other things that life offered to us. Even took a few rides with a 5FU pack. My cowboy was a tough one, John Wayne had nothing on him!

Don't give up! Keep the fighting attitude!! Blessings to all!! May a cure be found!!

Hi mm. Sounds like you have been busy. I'm not sure on that weight loss. I know Kenny had cachexia, he had lost so much weight. That has anything to do with your husbands or not, just putting it out there. I'm hoping he doesn't work so many hours and he's able to gain back some of this weight.