As my first post, I would like to thank the creators of this site for providing a forum to ask questions and learn what to expect when we are diagnosed with cancer. I am a 50 year old male from Central Illinois. On November 8th, 2015, I lost my father due to colon cancer at the age of 80. At the funeral I notice a slight difficulty in breathing and chalked it up to the stress of dealing with my loss. However, after a couple more months of the feeling that someone constantly had their hands around my neck caused me to inform my primary doctor. Since I have a family history of high blood pressure and heart issues, he sent me to a cardiologist for a stress test on 2/29/16. The cardiologist almost immediately noticed a lump "goiter" in my neck and ordered an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed a 5cm mass and a biopsy was ordered. I was assured that most of these biopsy come back benine, however, it turned out to be papillary thyroid cancer and possibly has spread to a lymph node.
I have a CT scan scheduled on 3/16 and an ENT surgeon consult on 3/17. It is my understanding that the process will include: surgery & thyroid hormone medication followed by radioactive iodine to kill/suppress any cancer cells that remain after surgery. Not sure if there are any other options to get around full thyroid removal and permanent hormone medication. Also curious about what to expect after surgery. Some of my research suggests saliva gland issues, mouth sores, and teeth problems. What questions should I be asking my ENT surgeon and should I get an Endocrinologist to give an opinion on surgery before the operation.