A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worried and scared - ? ovarian cancer

Senior User
    I am stunned that this happened to you. Wishing the best for you and take this one day at a time. We are here for you, even in the waiting process.

I'm so sorry about the delay. Hang in there.
    Diagnosed with stage 2c papillary serous cystadenoma borderline malignancy of the ovary in 2009. Hysterectomy, omenectomy, appendectomy, debulking.
    - 2010 - laparoscopy showed inoperable recurrence, so started chemo.
    - Frontline chemo - carboplatin and cyclophosphamide, six cycles
    - Additional chemo regimens: Avastin - ten cycles; Weekly Topotecan - 4 cycles.
    - Spring 2012 developed pleural nodules. Topotecan plus Avastin - 1year.
    - April, 2014, had surgery to remove Aspergillus infection from right lung.
    - September, 2015, started on Megace because my tumors are PR positive. Stopped Megace after three months.
    - September, 2016, hospitalized for shortness of breath and back pain.
    - September, 2016, respiratory failure reversed with prednisone. Maintaining on 50 mg Prednisone per day and supplemental O2.
    - October, 2016 left hospital with no supplemental oxygen. Feeling great! Will start tapering off the prednisone Oct. 10.

Regular User
    Thank you ladies for your support. I too am stunned. I just want to get this out. For a few weeks now on and off, actually starting before I went to the ER, I have been having bilateral breast tenderness. Kind of like pms symptoms. Just tonight, I am having sharp pain going through my left breast especially when I bend forward, or just slightly turn. This is extremely nerve wracking. I am trying to remain calm but must admit, it is not easy.

Senior User
    Very sorry for your pain and I can imagine you just want to get this out. Your last posting helped me make a connection to my own problem. I've noticed now that my mass is pressing on my bladder (having to urinate often) and I have pain on my rib cage, almost like a pressing pressure. It's brief but its bothersome. You helped me realize the size of our masses might truly be the reason for the other discomforts. I'll admit to you that I am trying to stay calm but its not easy when I have physical pain to "remind" me. Thankfully, I am still working but already feeling the guilt of having to be out for 4-6 weeks.

Hang in there.

Regular User
    Hi Dixie, yes I agree the size surely must interfere and cause other discomforts. I read in your other post that your mass is now the size of a watermelon? I am very happy to hear that your appt is on June 8. I will be thinking of you as well. Please keep me posted with your results ��

Touching base Can girl - did surgery go ahead June 1? How are you doing?
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

Regular User
    Hi, just wanted to update with results of my surgery on June 1. I had a TAH with bilateral salpingo oophorectomy, omentectomy and appendectomy. Apparently both ovaries had tumours and they had to do some cleaning up of my rectal wall and anterior peritoneum. Surgeon said from frozen section that it is mucinous and epithelial or endometrial (can't remember which he said as I was groggy) borderline which carries a more favourable prognosis as it is usually caught early. I have my follow up on July 5 and am hoping for the very best news, but am still optimistically cautious. Anyone have similar diagnosis or any words of advice?

Can girl, I also have borderline tumors, but mine are serous, not mucinous. As you said, it's usually caught early. And usually it's cured by surgery! I'm glad the surgery is behind you! How are you feeling?
    Diagnosed with stage 2c papillary serous cystadenoma borderline malignancy of the ovary in 2009. Hysterectomy, omenectomy, appendectomy, debulking.
    - 2010 - laparoscopy showed inoperable recurrence, so started chemo.
    - Frontline chemo - carboplatin and cyclophosphamide, six cycles
    - Additional chemo regimens: Avastin - ten cycles; Weekly Topotecan - 4 cycles.
    - Spring 2012 developed pleural nodules. Topotecan plus Avastin - 1year.
    - April, 2014, had surgery to remove Aspergillus infection from right lung.
    - September, 2015, started on Megace because my tumors are PR positive. Stopped Megace after three months.
    - September, 2016, hospitalized for shortness of breath and back pain.
    - September, 2016, respiratory failure reversed with prednisone. Maintaining on 50 mg Prednisone per day and supplemental O2.
    - October, 2016 left hospital with no supplemental oxygen. Feeling great! Will start tapering off the prednisone Oct. 10.

Regular User
    Hi Serous2c, thank you for responding. Wow, you have definitely been through a lot, certainly not what you were originally bargaining for I'm sure! See, this is the thing, is this an "oh how lucky you are to have missed a cancer diagnosis", or is this in fact a diagnosis of cancer BUT with a better prognosis? Clearly you weren't expecting to go through everything you have. My heart goes out to you and I also admire your strength.
    I have been feeling tired and sore with major gas pains, but trying to move around every hour or so to help alleviate. Also napping a lot! I didn't do too well with the opioids as my nausea was so bad in the hospital, I couldn't eat or drink. They switched me over to Tylenol and Naproxen once I finally managed to force down some cereal on Saturday morning. Then a covering Dr. came in as mine went on holidays the day after my surgery and discharged me home. Appetite has been decreased but better. I have an appt. with my family physician tomorrow to get my staples out but am concerned as there was some blood on my underwear from my incision this afternoon about the size of a silver dollar or as we call it here in Canada, a loonie. I have been having some weird clenching going on, kinda like strong contractions in the pelvic area, not sure what that is from. But I'm wondering if the clenching has compromised my lower incision and made it bleed. It's also hardened down there and very sensitive to touch. So we will see. Last thing I want is an open gaping infection.

Hey Can girl, sorry you are in so much pain. Hopefully your family doctor can answer some of your questions tomorrow. And yes double check to make sure no infection is starting - last thing you need.

My fingers are crossed for good news as well for you. Rest and nap away. Keep us posted when you can.

Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto