A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 70 of 71 FirstFirst ... 206068697071 LastLast

Thread: The beast revisits

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Good luck Baz
    Age 60
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011

NED AND DECLARED CURED on the 2/01/2013

No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Thanks one and all,
    Must admit although I hate to say so, its damned difficult dealing with 2 cancers at the same time and factually would test the resolution of a saint let alone being left with severely reduced mobility with what is “Traumatic occlusion” to the right side with no femoral pulse at all.

That was psychologically the final blow.although I’m assured by the vascular surgeon my leg won’t drop off as the capillaries will and are increasing in diameter to increase blood supply.
    Amazing what the body is able to do isn’t it.

Also it would seem my spike in PSA and proposed intervention as stated is also now on hold until the top half Surgery is done and dusted.
    I assume this also applies to the vascular issue.

This morning I had a thought and the word that came to mind was “NEXT”
    which I found quite amusing.
    Yea a weird sense of humour.
    So Monday 8 am I’m back in for a heart perfusion /stress test to ensure I don’t peg out during the surgery.

Note, I have repeatedly said the the docs at the hospital 3 times this hospital has attempted to finish me off, no make this four times now without success. Maybe this time you will be lucky.
    Today I’m at the GP for a blood pressure reading, quite why I’ve no idea.

But to say I’m pretty Pi’d off is a gross understatement.
    Apologies but I needed to let off steam.

Barry
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    October -still the same pains but under semi control.
    Additional chest CT scan ordered for 11th November prior to surgery.
    Sinus surgery done and dusted.
    July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20, 23/08 now 8.2.
    Prostate Cancer confirmed Gleason 3+4.
    Active surveillance ceased and intervention recommended.
    PET CT Aug 2017 indicated lung nodule changes
    CT Guided biopsy 07/09 to be done.
    Just a little recurrence and another 20 cm of colon vanished under the knife.

Not all's rosy in the garden, but see following.
    Stop grumbling Baz, your still alive and kicking so far.
    Age and illness doesn't define who we are, but more what we are able to do.
    Motto
    Do what I love doing, when I can until I can't.
    and dodging bullets in the meanwhile, too many bullets at moment.

Baz, if anyone has a right to vent, it is you, my friend. Your fortitude and determination when facing such a difficult series of bad news fills me with admiration.

I have my challenges, as you know but they pale in comparison with you. I send as much positive energy as I can daily and hope that your road will get less onerous as you progress. btw, I have had a lung resection (many years ago following three collapsed lungs in the course of a year) which I suspect is similar to a wedge procedure. Recovery was uneventful, may it be the same for you.

Good health,

kermica
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

Age 66
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09
    Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.
    Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.
    Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012
    Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.
    July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.
    August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".
    February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.
    June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxan, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.
    February 2015 - Doc and I agreed to stop R maintenance as it is depressing my immune system too much.
    June 2015 - Confirm that the beast is back by physical exam, will scan in August after esophageal issues settle down so we can get a clear view.
    August 2015 - physical exam in error, PET/CT shows no evidence of disease. Remission continues well into second year!
    December 2015 - Cardiologist tells me I have plaque buildup growing at an alarming rate. Stent or bypass down the road but not yet...
    March 2016 - new tumor below the jaw so remission is over. Back to active surveillance until treatment is needed.
    June 2016 - C/T scan indicates presence of multiple lesions in iliac chain.
    August 2016 - PET/CT shows multiple areas of lymphoma as expected plus new areas of concern in bowel.
    January 2017 - C/T scan shows significant progression in cervical and inguinal lymph chains, largest tumor is impacting hearing, measures 2.1x4.6 cm. 4 to 8 cycles of R-CVP, 1x3weeks to commence 2/6/17.
    April 2017 - Mid treatment scan shows about 1/3 reduction in multiple tumors. Also shows abdominal aortic aneurysm with peripheral thrombus. Cardiologist changed meds, spoke of need for surgical repair down the road.
    September 2017 - finished 10 rounds of R-CP, V was stopped due to neuropathy in feet. No further treatment planned at this time, at least 10 tumors can be felt which seem to be growing again.

Senior User
    Barry, I checking on you, and giving you a hug.
    Aneta

Thank you young lady, most appreciated.
    Hugs back
    Barry
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20, 23/08 now 8.2.

Motto

Another step forward I assume.
    Perfusion test and echo heart ultrasound done.
    Unusually they did inform me that no anomalies could be traced or seen so at least I had a heads up on those two.
    Went in at 0800 hrs and out at 0940 pretty slick I’d say.

Next is vascular tests on 26th, so again I assume the lung surgery will follow the abdominal lower Doppler scans.

Isnt life just a bundle of fun when nearly all of your life is dictated by hospital visits for tests.
    At the charges they apply for car parking, by now I must have bought at least 1 space.
    Onwards and upwards.
    Stay healthy all.
    Barry
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear

Motto

Went in at 0800 hrs and out at 0940 pretty slick I’d say.

Next is vascular tests on 26th, so again I assume the lung surgery will follow the abdominal lower Doppler scans.

Isnt life just a bundle of fun when nearly all of your life is dictated by hospital visits for tests.
    Well it is okay when one contemplates the alternative, Baz, don't you think? It is good to know that the ole ticker is in good shape as you approach the next round of procedures, one to check off the list, anyway!

As usual, you are a couple of steps ahead of me with things but I am pretty sure I am about to step back into that test monkey phase of things. I expect the cardiologist to order imaging to check on the aneurysms and that the oncologist will be looking to image the stuff he is responsible for as well since the last round of therapy appears to have done little or nothing to stop the beast. Might have slowed it down a bit but not stopped, for sure. Oh well...

But for you, my friend, try to enjoy the days between now and the 26th with your dear Anne. Catch a few fish, watch your grandson sail and do whatever else gives you joy. It is, after all, why we are here, isn't it?

Good health,

kermica
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

Age 66
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09
    Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.
    Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.
    Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012
    Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.
    July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.
    August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".
    February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.
    June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxan, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.
    February 2015 - Doc and I agreed to stop R maintenance as it is depressing my immune system too much.
    June 2015 - Confirm that the beast is back by physical exam, will scan in August after esophageal issues settle down so we can get a clear view.
    August 2015 - physical exam in error, PET/CT shows no evidence of disease. Remission continues well into second year!
    December 2015 - Cardiologist tells me I have plaque buildup growing at an alarming rate. Stent or bypass down the road but not yet...
    March 2016 - new tumor below the jaw so remission is over. Back to active surveillance until treatment is needed.
    June 2016 - C/T scan indicates presence of multiple lesions in iliac chain.
    August 2016 - PET/CT shows multiple areas of lymphoma as expected plus new areas of concern in bowel.
    January 2017 - C/T scan shows significant progression in cervical and inguinal lymph chains, largest tumor is impacting hearing, measures 2.1x4.6 cm. 4 to 8 cycles of R-CVP, 1x3weeks to commence 2/6/17.
    April 2017 - Mid treatment scan shows about 1/3 reduction in multiple tumors. Also shows abdominal aortic aneurysm with peripheral thrombus. Cardiologist changed meds, spoke of need for surgical repair down the road.
    September 2017 - finished 10 rounds of R-CP, V was stopped due to neuropathy in feet. No further treatment planned at this time, at least 10 tumors can be felt which seem to be growing again.

K my friend
    yes indeed it is what life is all about.
    The known is easier to take on than the unknown in my small mind.
    Im a great believer in delaminating the layers, breaking things down to individuals, addressing each element as a step that must be taken.

from different aspects we are both battling on different fronts with the same objective.

One amusing reflection from yesterday is the ultrasound when she decided to place the probe under my jaw stating she was looking at the top of my aorta then further down saying I am imaging not imagining you have a synthetic aorta, yes ?.
    Yes I have, why
    Just looking for any AAA, my reply was if you find one that means my Dacron aorta can’t take the pressure and you better get a puncture repair kit.
    Response
    Stop it I can’t concentrate when I’m laughing.
    Barry
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear

Motto

One amusing reflection from yesterday is the ultrasound when she decided to place the probe under my jaw stating she was looking at the top of my aorta then further down saying I am imaging not imagining you have a synthetic aorta, yes ?.
    Yes I have, why
    Just looking for any AAA, my reply was if you find one that means my Dacron aorta can’t take the pressure and you better get a puncture repair kit.
    Response
    Stop it I can’t concentrate when I’m laughing.
    And I think I have my act together when reclining on the test bed...you, sir, are the undisputed master. Long may you reign as you know as well as I that you aren't getting away from them anytime soon, lol.

Good health,

k

K my friend,
    one word in response
    Indeed.
    Barry
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear

Motto