A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24250515253 LastLast

Thread: The beast revisits

po mate, Ouch I feel for her, but boards are different to planks.
    on planks of you lose it you tend to fall sideways (Normally), planting a board tends to chuck you out of the front door, arsenic over tetanus if you get my drift.
    Fortunately (fingers and all other extremities crossed) the only thing I've managed to do, so far is a very sore back, a few pains in the rectal region and a sore shoulder and elbow. That was caused on a black where I lost it couldn't recover and landed on my shoulder and elbow.
    That was "fixed" with a cortisone injection in each area.
    Week later right as rain.
    Well that's it so far, we shall see what the next season brings.
    What has to be done will be done of that there is no question.
    Barry
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    October -still the same pains but under semi control.
    Additional chest CT scan ordered for 11th November prior to surgery.
    Sinus surgery done and dusted.
    July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20.
    Prostate Cancer confirmed Gleason 3+3.
    Active surveillance for time being.
    Just a little recurrence and another 20 cm of colon vanished under the knife.

Not all's rosy in the garden, but see following.
    Stop grumbling Baz, your still alive and kicking so far.
    Age and illness doesn't define who we are, but more what we are able to do.
    Motto
    Do what I love doing, when I can until I can't.
    and dodging bullets in the meanwhile.

You are so right Baz. I think "little moments" like you described Baz are sometimes the most precious. Forget age, I am trying to enjoy times like that as much as possible. May they be diversion stories like PO's (poor lady - bloody well OUCH!), you moments with your birds, my moments with my goof nut dogs or watching beautiful wildlife up here in the great white north or lol ya sitting having a beer and looking at my yard and gardens with pride or I am sure many of us can say sitting in stillness with the one we love - they are what matter most and are a win/victory over cancer. It can not take these moments away from us.
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same

Jodie,
    How right you are.
    The only reason I posted what some would call irrelevant on a cancer support forum is to respectfully suggest that "gloom, doom and despondency" can and does so easily effect how some if not many are weighed down with all the negatives and baggage that a cancer diagnosis and treatment brings.
    Having I believe until proven wrong successfully overcome a recurrence as well as one of the biggest surgeries there is and living with PCa albeit with ongoing consequences from the surgeries, life for me is just that "life".

One cannot buy life as such, one can approach the future on two bases
    Glass half empty or half full.
    I choose the latter Half full, still have aspirations and adventures to fulfil which given the glass half full syndrome I shall achieve, possibly not in the way I would have wished for in a perfect life never the less "I SHALL".

For me "I can't " is way too negative I will and I shall are far more important as these throw the switches in the brain making one and myself have a positive approach.
    Rambling possibly, factually most definitely.
    Barry
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20.

Motto

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz10 View Post
    Jodie,
    How right you are.
    The only reason I posted what some would call irrelevant on a cancer support forum is to respectfully suggest that "gloom, doom and despondency" can and does so easily effect how some if not many are weighed down with all the negatives and baggage that a cancer diagnosis and treatment brings.
    Many of us are happier with cancer than most folks are without. Funny, that bit.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TREC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS), a bone marrow cancer.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measureable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin GvHD arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    To date: 18 chemotherapeutic drugs in 9 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 3 clinical trials, 4 post-transplant immuno-suppressant drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from scanning from 45+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

I choose the latter Half full, still have aspirations and adventures to fulfil which given the glass half full syndrome I shall achieve, possibly not in the way I would have wished for in a perfect life never the less "I SHALL".
    This is why you are my hero, Barry. Your ability to maintain a positive attitude regardless of what is thrown your way remains an inspiration to us all.

Thank you.

Good health,

kermica
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

Age 66
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09
    Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.
    Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.
    Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012
    Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.
    July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.
    August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".
    February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.
    June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxan, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.
    February 2015 - Doc and I agreed to stop R maintenance as it is depressing my immune system too much.
    June 2015 - Confirm that the beast is back by physical exam, will scan in August after esophageal issues settle down so we can get a clear view.
    August 2015 - physical exam in error, PET/CT shows no evidence of disease. Remission continues well into second year!
    December 2015 - Cardiologist tells me I have plaque buildup growing at an alarming rate. Stent or bypass down the road but not yet...
    March 2016 - new tumor below the jaw so remission is over. Back to active surveillance until treatment is needed.
    June 2016 - C/T scan indicates presence of multiple lesions in iliac chain.
    August 2016 - PET/CT shows multiple areas of lymphoma as expected plus new areas of concern in bowel.
    January 2017 - C/T scan shows significant progression in cervical and inguinal lymph chains, largest tumor is impacting hearing, measures 2.1x4.6 cm. 4 to 8 cycles of R-CVP, 1x3weeks to commence 2/6/17.
    April 2017 - Mid treatment scan shows about 1/3 reduction in multiple tumors. Also shows abdominal aortic aneurysm with peripheral thrombus. Cardiologist changed meds, spoke of need for surgical repair down the road.

May I respectfully suggest, we all inspire each other nor more so than yourself K.
    Not forgetting all our mods and admins who truly show what the meaning of a steel backbone.
    Tomorrow is my day at ENT to find out why my annoying tinnitus volume has increased from just being annoying to where it has become pervasive.
    Thats a pre hearing test followed by a brain MRI. Factually that shouldn't take long as I contend my brain by now should match the size of my prostate. Lol

Anyway no time to dwell on such trivial things as we have grandson from Dubai arriving this weekend on his own.
    So we pick him up from Heathrow bring him back for a few days, no doubt he will be keen to go carp fishing and we then head off (boat on top of the Merc ) Thursday via the channel tunnel to Belgium where he is representing GB junior sailing team.
    Following weekend Denmark for a similar event then return.
    We shall make a wee holiday break between events and catch up with some of my old work colleagues in Holland.

Bleeding Norah no time to be or feel croc.

So fair warning I shall probably off forum for a week or so.
    In the meanwhile all keep better side of well.
    Barry
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear

Motto

Well,
    all the tests went well as did the nut (head) MRI, didn't quite fall asleep this time as the music they played through the earphones was bloody appalling, waken the dead I reckon.
    Humour over
    Slight drop off in hearing on left side from previous but as they say in Yorkshire
    "Nowt to worry about lad".
    MRI interpretation was done whilst Annie and I had some lunch.
    Went back in and he was smiling and said no problems they or he could see.
    So have to put up with the choir singing or the jet engine running, no biggy.
    Barry
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear

Motto

Quote Originally Posted by Baz10 View Post
    Well,
    all the tests went well as did the nut (head) MRI, didn't quite fall asleep this time as the music they played through the earphones was bloody appalling, waken the dead I reckon.
    Humour over
    Slight drop off in hearing on left side from previous but as they say in Yorkshire
    "Nowt to worry about lad".

MRI interpretation was done whilst Annie and I had some lunch.
    Went back in and he was smiling and said no problems they or he could see.
    So have to put up with the choir singing or the jet engine running, no biggy.
    Barry
    Sounds like good news! Only if you could hear it!... enjoy the time away!

doug

I could hear the good news, as my right side hearing is 100%, left is a little indistinct and muffled and I can use this as a good excuse to "not hear" the
    DW's what I call ramblings.
    Now in the middle of pre PET scan preparation Gastografin which is no big deal apart from the enforced dietary restrictions.
    Scan tomorrow at 10.15 hence one of the reasons we were unable to take grandson (the Spout" to his sailing.

Despite "what's going on" of which there are a few to say the least, we have decided to move home in amongst all the health trivia back North.
    So the house is on the market tomorrow and where we live the longest it has taken to sell any home has been 3 weeks.
    So I suspect we shall be in the car heading North to view properties PDQ.

so the glass half full syndrome still remains.
    Either that or we are both mad.
    Barry
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear

Motto

The Faecal virtual scan
    Some will think I'm mentally deranged when you read the following,
    The worst part was a week of controlled diet and the Gastrografin preparing with 16 hours enforced no food prior to the procedure.
    Cannula went in at first attempt, great result as the last one it took 9 attempts over 2 days.
    Then on the scanning table, lie on left side with knees up as they introduce a small tube in the tectum, tape in place and start the compressor.
    Wierd feeling at start as your colon and small bowel and digestive tract inflate.
    To a point where it becomes "uncomfortable"
    Scan from chest to pelvis whilst lying on ones back, then one has to turn onto stomach.
    Now this is where it becomes a hoot despite the discomfort one starts burping like the proverbial guppy fish.
    So the air they pump up your backside tracks through your system and exits out top end.
    I had to apologise to the radiographers who obviously heard this strange sound, me laughing and continuously burping at the same time.
    Weird feeling and physical reaction all this burping whilst at the same time one feels your stomach "deflating".
    Maybe I'm mental but I found it a total laugh to the point where they stopped the scan until I stopped laughing.

They were not as amused as I was having to re run the scan.
    That over and results sometime in the near future.
    Suggestion if anyone's going to have one of these, it isn't exactly a breeze, but darn it it was to me in part a laugh.
    Barry
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear

Motto