A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Metastatic Spine Mass

Super Moderator Top User
    Yes, Roswell Park has a very good reputation (US News & World Reports ranks it 43rd in the country, out of well over a thousand cancer centers) and it sounds like it would be a good option for you if you've got a house and family; support like that is so important when battling cancer.

Whether you go or ask to be sent is usually an insurance question, but it's probably easiest anyway to have the people you're dealing with now transfer him, since it will mean that they're briefing the new doctors and transferring records, which will save you a ton of hassle. You'll just need to tell them that that's what you want to do (if you both decide it's what you want to do).

Regular User
    Thank you for the help! I have no idea what I'm doing and just want to do my best by my husband. He's too exhausted to do it for himself, but we're figuring it out. I spoke with Upstate and Tricare... Upstate might take a couple weeks to get in to (though the nurse is contacting the doctors to try to get him in sooner), so they recommended getting a referral for a second opinion. We have to do that through his primary care manager. Thank you again.

Super Moderator Top User
    You're very welcome; that's what we're here for.

Yeah, this is not what anybody ever planned to have happen, and having to navigate the system while dealing with the stress of diagnosis is always difficult.

If you're going to have a second opinion anyway it might as well be at one of the top hospitals; otherwise it may not shed any more light than what you've heard already. Upstate may very well be able to get him in sooner; those things seem to work out pretty often. Hopefully they will.

Regular User
    Can my thread please be moved back to the general cancer forum or other cancers forum? We may never know what the primary cancer is or where it came from, but we're dealing with spine, rib, liver, bowel, and possible lung metastasis... and also a pleural effusion. It's a little weird checking for responses in the "worried about possible cancer" area. Thank you.

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Hello Nickers

Sorry that a clear definitive answer on type of cancer remains unknown. My thought is the medical team is still trying to identify in order to provide the best possible treatment options. However, it may remain unknown.

As far as moving post to the General forum, I believe you will get the most responses if we leave it in the Worried forum for the time being. The Other cancers forum is very quiet so probably not the right place to move your thread. However, it is up to you and we can move your thread if that is what you want, just let us know.

Lisa

Super Moderator Top User
    Hi Nickers, we'll be happy to move it to one of the other forums if you like... I just can't think where to move it. As Lisa said, the trouble with the general cancer forum is not many people ever read there.

I'm going to go and ask if anyone else has any idea.

Meanwhile, I'm very sorry to hear that the situation has become so serious.

I realize you have your hands full and probably not much time to respond but... I hope he's been moved to a major medical center?

Super Moderator Top User
    Nickers, I've moved you to the "Other Cancers" forum for now. There are also the other forums (Cancer Pain, Financial Issues, Coping & Support) further down the main page where hopefully you can find people to talk to about the various issues you run into as you deal with the disease.

I remember earlier on this thread GatorVet offered help navigating the Walter Reed system if necessary; you can contact him via direct message if you haven't done so already; just click on a name and select "private message" to do that.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    There is one variety of T-Cell Lymphoma (Angioimmunoblastic) that is known for pleural effusions. Being a lymphoma, it can attach to any part of the body it decides to. In my case, it liked my marrow and small intestine.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. >50 tumors, marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TREC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS), a bone marrow cancer.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Haploidentical Allogeneic Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Blood nose dive. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment official - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin GvHD arrives. DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    To date: 18 chemotherapeutic drugs in 9 regimens (4 of them at least twice), + 4 immunosuppressant drugs.

I have been chosen to suffer, therefore, I am blessed. Knowing the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

"What is faith? It is that which gives substance to our hopes, which convinces us of things we cannot see"
    - Hebrews 11:1

Regular User
    Thank you! He is being treated at upstate now and we are very happy with the team there. I've read a lot in many of the other forums and the information has been very helpful. Now that he's finished with radiation (which was every day), I should have more time to participate.

Super Moderator Top User
    I'm glad to hear you've found a good treatment team. That's so important.