A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Grandmother diagnosed and refusing tests

Newbie New User

Arrow Grandmother diagnosed and refusing tests

My dear grandmother received the horrible news that she has cancer in her liver. They put the light down which is what spotted it and then sent her for a scan. She is 79 years old with Parkinson's disease and despite her disability has been able to get by until now. She has been hospitalized for the last 3 weeks, shortness of breath, her entire body is swollen (legs, feet, hands, abdomen). She seems to be always squinting her eyes which I guess could come from how exhausted she has been lately. It was just a regular doctor who diagnosed her and said he would like her to have the light put up so they can see how far the cancer has went. He said it is not in her lymph nodes which he said surprised him. She now doesn't want anymore tests and says she is ready to just go home. We are all supporting her decision, and making sure this is what she truly wants.... But deep down it breaks my heart. She has no jaundice yet, her blood pressure is extremely high 159/57 was yesterday's. I really don't even know what my question is, is there anyone out there that refused treatments? Does her symptoms sound typical of advanced liver cancer ? What can we expect ? We will not know how many other places in her body have cancer, what stage it is, we just sit and hope that someone delivers a cure. She's also still eating for the most part, no vomiting or nausea.
    Truly I'm devastated, and hoping to find anyone who could relate or has some knowledge on the subject.
    Thank you

Hi there. I am so sorry.
    I have a similar situation with an aunt undergoing tests for a different cancer...a blood one and she is in her late 80s.

I also will be supporting any decision she wishes to make regarding her cancer and her life just as people are supporting me with my relapse and fighting with all I have.

My father, in a nursing home had suspected cancer too. he did not want tests and we also had to respect this.

There are many things that can be done to make the patient comfortable and hopefully your focus will change to this direction. Spend time with her. I know we need to know, it is just sometimes taken out of our hands and we can't.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016