A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Granulosa Cell Tumor - found on left ovary after surgery

Senior User

Granulosa Cell Tumor - found on left ovary after surgery

Hello,

I've posted in these forums before regarding my now recent surgery in the "possible cancer" thread. In brief, I had a huge watermelon mass in my uterus/ovary area. On Monday the oncologist took out the mass as well as my left ovary and left fallopian tube. Biopsy was done of uterus and that looked clean. The right ovary and fallopian tube was left in tact inside me.

Diagnosis - granulosa cell tumor - does anyone else have experience or knowledge in this department? Any long term survivors?

I'm just stunned because - my cell markers were amazing and I thought all ovarian cancer was bad with a three year survival rate. Kind of confused here.

In the brief reading I've done so far, I saw that granulosa is rarer than other more serious ovarian cancers. If caught early, prognosis may look fantastic (compared to other ovarian cancers). My own follow up/full pathology will be available when I go on June 17th.

Since I am newly recovering from surgery, I am exhausted and tire out easily at home. Hence my lack of resources or information at this time. Thank you.

I'm glad your surgery is behind you! I know nothing about granulosa cell tumors. There are about two dozen specific types of ovarian cancer, and that's one of the rare ones. It's very important not to assume your prognosis is like that of people with the most common type. Your oncologist will be the best source of info, I expect. If I find any good info on it I'll pass it on!
    Diagnosed with stage 2c papillary serous cystadenoma borderline malignancy of the ovary in 2009. Hysterectomy, omenectomy, appendectomy, debulking.
    - 2010 - laparoscopy showed inoperable recurrence, so started chemo.
    - Frontline chemo - carboplatin and cyclophosphamide, six cycles
    - Additional chemo regimens: Avastin - ten cycles; Weekly Topotecan - 4 cycles.
    - Spring 2012 developed pleural nodules. Topotecan plus Avastin - 1year.
    - April, 2014, had surgery to remove Aspergillus infection from right lung.
    - September, 2015, started on Megace because my tumors are PR positive. Stopped Megace after three months.
    - September, 2016, hospitalized for shortness of breath and back pain.
    - September, 2016, respiratory failure reversed with prednisone. Maintaining on 50 mg Prednisone per day and supplemental O2.
    - October, 2016 left hospital with no supplemental oxygen. Feeling great! Will start tapering off the prednisone Oct. 10.

Regular User
    Dixie, how are you? Any word? I'm thinking of you.

Senior User
    Nothing new or earth shattering to report. When I went to the oncologist a few weeks ago, she had told me that she sent my report
    to Sloan Kettering for a second opinion to make sure she was correct. Apparently, granulosa is rare, only 2% of women who get ovarian
    get this kind. My next appointment with her is later this week for another updated pathology report.

At this time I don't think I need any further treatment, just monitoring. But we will see what SK says and how the doctor approaches this.
    Still feels like an out of body experience for me and my emotions tend to go all over the place. But I have a feeling I will be the very fortunate
    ones and got lucky here.

Sometimes no news is good news right? Hoping that you do not require further treatment and you can just heal and move on. I read in your other thread that you are still emotional - crying easily. My understanding - been doing research for my own upcoming surgery - is even if one or both ovaries are left there often is a period of time up to 2 months after surgery where women often feel weepy. But definitely chat with your doctor about it.

Let us know how your appointment goes. We'll be thinking of you.

Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

I think it's great that they sent the results for a second opinion. My oncologist did the same, and they confirmed the original results. It's good to be sure what's going on.
    Diagnosed with stage 2c papillary serous cystadenoma borderline malignancy of the ovary in 2009. Hysterectomy, omenectomy, appendectomy, debulking.
    - 2010 - laparoscopy showed inoperable recurrence, so started chemo.
    - Frontline chemo - carboplatin and cyclophosphamide, six cycles
    - Additional chemo regimens: Avastin - ten cycles; Weekly Topotecan - 4 cycles.
    - Spring 2012 developed pleural nodules. Topotecan plus Avastin - 1year.
    - April, 2014, had surgery to remove Aspergillus infection from right lung.
    - September, 2015, started on Megace because my tumors are PR positive. Stopped Megace after three months.
    - September, 2016, hospitalized for shortness of breath and back pain.
    - September, 2016, respiratory failure reversed with prednisone. Maintaining on 50 mg Prednisone per day and supplemental O2.
    - October, 2016 left hospital with no supplemental oxygen. Feeling great! Will start tapering off the prednisone Oct. 10.

DixieDoodle78, I am 3 year GCT survivor. There is a group on Facebook called "GCT sisterhood" consisting of survivors from around the world, it is VERY informative and supporting group where even Drs turn for info. Pls join there if you have not done so yet. Tina

Senior User
    Thank you for your help and information.