A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it worth it?

Regular User

is it worth it?

my 60 year old husband is now being treated for primary central nervous system lymphoma. He is more than half through with the HD-methotrexate/rituximab treatments and tolerating all of it fairly well. His MRI at the half way point showed marked decrease in the size of the main lesion. The others were almost all gone. The doctors are now getting him prepared for the consolidation phase - the autologous stem cell transplant. My opinion is he needs to do everything medically available to maximize his chance to survive. The clinical nurse coordinator stressed to me that he has to be ready to go within a few weeks of the last treatment to take advantage of the "window". I really thought the remission would be a little hardier than what she portrayed. The stem cell doctor gave my husband the opposite impression; that is, it is not clear that having a stem cell transplant will even improve his chance to survive. I am 100 percent prepared to be the caregiver and do whatever it takes. He is worried about being sick and even worse during the transplant process. If I am encouraging him to go for it, I need to know if it is worth it. I don't need a guarantee but I would like to know what others who have been through this think. Does it improve the chance to avoid a relapse in any significant way that would make the pain, illness, isolation and fear worth it. Thank you for any advice. This has been a tough two and a half months, but he is starting to see a small bit of improvement in his vision which was his biggest deficit. We are super hopeful that he will be in remission when these treatments end. I just want to make sure it sticks....

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    There are no guarantees either way. My primary question would be as to the type of transplant. I would do some research to find any available statistics on the advisability of autologous versus allogeneic transplants. 60 is an arbitrary cutoff point for some transplants, but I was 63 when I received mine (moderate-intensity allogeneic). I would question the expected time of progression-free survival if he underwent an autologous transplant. The prospect of undergoing a second transplant one year later is not a pleasant thought. You are speaking of a B-Cell Lymphoma, correct? My world is different as I had two T-Cell Lymphoma varieties at the end, and was in the category of having been heavily pre-treated.

An autologous transplant "should be" easy as compared to an allogeneic, as it would be his own cells re-infused into his bloodstream. There would be no difficulties with engraftment or graft versus host disease. I would question only the durability of remission with an autologous transplant. A lot also depends upon his general health as to lungs, kidneys, liver, etc. Neither type is a walk in the park, but allogeneic transplants have a 10-30% mortality rate from the transplant itself, which must be considered. Good health is a predictor, but not a guarantee that the allo transplant would be survivable, as infection is the primary enemy.

Fred Hutchinson/Seattle Cancer Care Alliance in Seattle is the pioneer, the most experienced, and where I had my transplant. City of Hope in California has the best outcomes, but may be very selective (i.e. cherry-picking) their patients. MSK should also be an excellent facility, and is close by. I would begin contacting some of those facilities and asking the tough questions.
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    01/18 Consented for Kadmon clinical trial.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.
    11/19 MRI of brain reveals apparently benign frontal lobe tumor. Has the appearance of a cerebral cavernoma. Watch & wait on that.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

po18guy has a lot of information and I would look around carefully and consider the options. I was older than your husband and was not eligible for a transplant. My onc treated me with the high dose MTX and Rituxan for much longer than others have been treated. I was diagnosed in Jan 2010 and received chemo until 2014. I just had my 4 monthly MRI and am still in remission. I wish you well and hope that whatever path you choose it will be a successful one.
    Female ,age 70, Diagnosed Jan 2010
    Primary CNS DLBCNHL
    Treatment every 6 weeks with High dose MTX and Rituxan for 9 months.
    Tumors shrunk and one was gone in 4 months and the larger one left some brain damage but has not become active as shown on MRI since Aug 2010.
    Since 2012 monthly Rituxan
    High Dose MTX and MRI every 4 months.
    June 6, 2014 NED
    No more chemo 6/2014

Thank you for checking in, Mary! Also, great news that you remain in remission. Your information is important, as the decision to transplant or continue treating is a huge one to make. PCNSL is a world apart from the T-Cell Lymphomas which I was treated for. If viable options remain, then a transplant can reasonably be put off. Islanders is at the decision point, so any additional information will help.

As to transplants, 60 is the arbitrary cutoff point for transplants in some facilities. However, advancements in transplanting have somewhat eliminated this. A full allogeneic is quite a stress on the body, but there are now "mini allos" in which there is less conditioning chemotherapy given. At 63, I was deemed to be healthy enough to survive a "moderate intensity" allogeneic transplant, and so I have.

These are very tough questions, as so much remains unknown. Thank you again for checking in.
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.
    11/19 MRI of brain reveals apparently benign frontal lobe tumor. Has the appearance of a cerebral cavernoma. Watch & wait on that.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

Nice to hear from you po guy. I usually check in several times a week but lurk and don't reply unless I think I can add something. You are correct - our brain lymphomas are just a different breed from so many things. Having a transplant is such a big decision but it seems to be how they are treating brain lymphomas now after the younger ones relapse from the high dose MTX. It has been two years now since I had any chemo and it is still well with me. I wonder, usually to myself, if the experimentation my doc did with me by giving me chemo for so long was in fact a successful way to treat the beast. It seems that most relapse within a few months after finishing with the chemo. I realize that some don't respond to the high dose or their bodies cannot take it so I guess I'm just rambling.
    Primary CNS DLBCNHL
    Tumors shrunk and one was gone in 4 months and the larger one left some brain damage but has not become active as shown on MRI since Aug 2010.
    June 6, 2014 NED
    No more chemo 6/2014

Rambling is the exact method used by scientists and researchers to develop strategies against cancer. You are cognitively researching. If you had a laboratory, you might just discover a breakthrough. Perhaps, your doctor already has.
    02/09 2) Relapse.

Regular User
    He is being treated at Sloan and we are both very comfortable with the care. I don't see him looking to go anywhere else. I figure he will get the prep work done and decide for sure as he finishes the chemo. He is actually almost 61 and no one has even mentioned his age as a disqualifying factor. Other than the lymphoma - and it is large B cell - he is actually healthy. I love to see that Mary is in remission two years later. I was reading a post on another forum from someone whose father relapsed just months after completing chemo. I just want him to have the best chance. I don't believe there is another option. They already had an ommaya port put in and that's a bit out of the ordinary for the first go around. I agree that the doctors ramble or actively look for the best treatment for the individual. But for after chemo it seems its stem cell or nothing. They haven't offered long term chemo and I'm not sure he could do it much longer. It's starting to take its toll. Thanks for all your insight. It's such a roller coaster. Just like all of you, we had other plans for our lives when he was diagnosed. Everything is on hold. I feel like I'm rambling now.

You would not ramble unless you had something very important on your mind. MSK is one of the best in the nation. I'll tell you what I do: pick doctor's brain and get him to ponder treatments and the latest data. Study the beast and learn about it. It is a steep learning curve, but it pays off. Ask doctor if your husband's case has been run by the other hematologists - even taken home to ponder. That's what it takes sometimes.

Transplants come at a price, but offer what is termed "curative intent." In my case, came the time when it was the only reasonable option. Therefore, I would obtain copies of every publication that MSK has on transplants. If a stem cell donor search has not been conducted, ask that one be done. In my case, doctor likes to stay "3 steps ahead" of the cancer.
    02/09 2) Relapse.

It really does seem that a protocol for our disease is being established and that is after chemo , a stem cell transplant occurs especially if there is a relapse. I wish you and your husband the very best. I totally understand your feeling that you are comfortable with your treatment and I actually think it is better for us mentally if we trust the treatment we are being given but of course we can and should ask questions. Hugs
    Primary CNS DLBCNHL
    June 6, 2014 NED
    No more chemo 6/2014

Regular User
    So great to get your input. I know my husband will keep asking the kinds of questions you suggest but I'm pretty sure he will go forward with it. When I asked the question this past weekend I was told simply that the doctors are afraid it will come back and that the transplant is the best chance it won't. I agree Mary - although my husband is not in an official protocol- it does seem like it's the standard treatment right now. Still not sure how many people have actually been cured and I saw on another forum one of the posters actually passed away during the transplant process. I just want my husband to survive this and be healthy again. He acts so optimistic and calm but he's suffering.