A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Final pathology report - Granulosa Cell and Sertoli-Leydig tumors

Senior User

Final pathology report - Granulosa Cell and Sertoli-Leydig tumors

On Friday, I went to the oncologist again for the updated/final pathology. The watermelon sized mass was mixed granulosa cell tumor, adult type and Sertoli-Leydig tumor. The left ovary and left fallopian tube were taken out. Since I desired possible future fertility and there were no cancers present elsewhere, my other ovary, tube and uterus are still inside me.

The doctor said both of these cancers are very rare and low probability of ever recurring. There are slight chances that it could go to the other female parts or stomach. Doctor looked at me and said point blank how lucky I am. This where the new monitoring comes in now.

The plan is I go back in three months for a blood test to compare the correct blood cancer marker that they are checking for. Ultrasounds I think every six months by the oncologist herself, which I am happy about. The original blood test markers that I was checked for (looked at two of them) came back wonderful prior to surgery because they were the wrong ones to be checking. The doctor said most common and dangerous ovarian cancers were in those two categories. It's not until you take out the tumor and biopsy then you truly know what you're looking at.

No chemo or radiation necessary. Yes, I understand that most people would KILL to be in my shoes.

My brain is still whirling and I think I may have a touch of PTSD happening here. Beyond grateful that this conclusion happened yet I am still wary of the "what-ifs." What if I had let it go? What if I had picked an ordinary surgery as opposed to oncologist? It scares me that you can do everything "right" in life and something still happens like this. I was a faithful hypochondriac who always went to the doctor and this still happened. I feel enormous guilt about my friend who died after a three year battle with ovarian cancer at age 39. When they found hers, it was already in her lung and eventually traveled to her brain. She did all kinds of trials and things, only to be killed by pneumonia eventually. My own mother is battling brain cancer and her battle so much more difficult than mine. I wish I could trade places with my Mom so she could be healthy again. My parents are immensely relieved about my case and I feel so guilty for having worried them so much. Yet I'm treating my time off from work and having spent so much time with my Mom due to that as a gift.

When people ask me about the event that happened to me, they react happily and with disbelief about no further treatment since ovarian cancer has a bad reputation as being an outright killer. I feel guilty about sharing my experience because frankly, I didn't do any work. I showed up surgery and they took care of it. No treatments needed so this does not feel like legitimate cancer journey to me as other people who suffer much more. Feel bad about talking about it yet I can't deny it happened to me.

Am I supposed to live my life differently now or live more boldly or have new meaning? What would Oprah say?

I am so relieved at your news. You give very interesting insights about what it all means in the big scheme of things. In my opinion, you are a full-fledged cancer survivor now, and you have nothing to feel guilty about!

LOL, indeed, what would Oprah say? It's your journey, and whatever you think or feel about it is valid.
    Diagnosed with stage 2c papillary serous cystadenoma borderline malignancy of the ovary in 2009. Hysterectomy, omenectomy, appendectomy, debulking.
    - 2010 - laparoscopy showed inoperable recurrence, so started chemo.
    - Frontline chemo - carboplatin and cyclophosphamide, six cycles
    - Additional chemo regimens: Avastin - ten cycles; Weekly Topotecan - 4 cycles.
    - Spring 2012 developed pleural nodules. Topotecan plus Avastin - 1year.
    - April, 2014, had surgery to remove Aspergillus infection from right lung.
    - September, 2015, started on Megace because my tumors are PR positive. Stopped Megace after three months.
    - September, 2016, hospitalized for shortness of breath and back pain.
    - September, 2016, respiratory failure reversed with prednisone. Maintaining on 50 mg Prednisone per day and supplemental O2.
    - October, 2016 left hospital with no supplemental oxygen. Feeling great! Will start tapering off the prednisone Oct. 10.

Regular User
    Hi Dixie, I am happy to hear of your results. I also agree with Serous in that it is your journey and you have a right to feel whatever it is you feel. Whether or not you receive any treatment is secondary. Just trying to prepare yourself mentally plays a huge number on you and in my opinion changes ones life forever. Take the positives from this and run with them. Look at this as your second chance and I'm certain that your life will be that much richer. I am sorry about your mom but it sounds like the extra time that you are able to spend with her is meaningful to you both. Keep your chin up and take extra good care of yourself.

How are you doing Dixiedoodle?
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same

Regular User
    Yes Dixie, how are you? I've been thinking about you too. Thanks for your support and kind words. Hope to hear from you! ��

Senior User
    Hello everyone. Just wanted to check in and let you know I am doing pretty good. I may post about another quick topic or two on here. Thank you for asking and I truly appreciate this group here!

So good to hear Dixie!
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same