A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: First treatment under my belt

Regular User

Red face First treatment under my belt

Hi everyone, as I had stated in my other thread, I started my frontline chemo this morning. Everything went well and just like Jorola said, it was long. I started out with a mild headache and the nurse said that it could have been from the Zofran, but I felt it before taking the pill. It is worse now and have since taken Tylenol. I hope it helps, as I have to take another Zofran tonight. I am also quite fatigued, but just moved last Thursday and have not given my body the proper rest it needs right now, so that is probably a major factor at this point. I must slow down. I haven't had time to get a haircut yet and hoping if I feel well to go tomorrow, and also to get fitted for a wig. I am having a hard time saying the "w" word, as if it is a bad word. I'm hoping acceptance will come at some point. Has anyone else had difficulty with this? Thanks again for all the support and encouragement!

Sorry you have such a headache and are tired. And you just moved? Ya you do need to take it easy.

You never know, you may not lose your hair but probably best you get fitted for a wig if you want just in case. Other ladies here can probably share what they went through on that one.

How many treatments are they planning for you?
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

Regular User
    Hi Jorola, thanks, the headache has subsided for now. I woke up around 4 this morning and was unable to get back to sleep. I am up now and it appears that a cold virus has come to visit
    No fever though. I also have redness on cheeks and bridge of my nose. Has anyone experienced this after first treatment?
    Forgot to add: Jorola- 6 treatments every three weeks. 18 weeks from start to finish.
    Last edited by Can girl; 07-07-2016 at 01:09 PM.

You were probably given a steroid just before chemo. It helps prevent nausea, and I think prevents a reaction to the chemo. That will flush your cheeks for a few days. It also made me retain water for a few days. And it can make you feel quite energetic. When the steroid wears off around day 3 or 4 you might feel very tired for a couple days. Did the chemo nurses talk to you about drinking lots of fluid? That's important -- helps prevent both headaches and nausea.

I'm glad your first treatment went well! You're a veteran now!

I was advised to shop for a wig early so they could match my hair color and style. In the end I decided I would wear bandanas and hats instead. Then it turned out I didn't lose all my hair.
    Diagnosed with stage 2c papillary serous cystadenoma borderline malignancy of the ovary in 2009. Hysterectomy, omenectomy, appendectomy, debulking.
    - 2010 - laparoscopy showed inoperable recurrence, so started chemo.
    - Frontline chemo - carboplatin and cyclophosphamide, six cycles
    - Additional chemo regimens: Avastin - ten cycles; Weekly Topotecan - 4 cycles.
    - Spring 2012 developed pleural nodules. Topotecan plus Avastin - 1year.
    - April, 2014, had surgery to remove Aspergillus infection from right lung.
    - September, 2015, started on Megace because my tumors are PR positive. Stopped Megace after three months.
    - September, 2016, hospitalized for shortness of breath and back pain.
    - September, 2016, respiratory failure reversed with prednisone. Maintaining on 50 mg Prednisone per day and supplemental O2.
    - October, 2016 left hospital with no supplemental oxygen. Feeling great! Will start tapering off the prednisone Oct. 10.

Hanging in there Can girl?
    dx - April 20/14
    June 23 - chemo finished
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

Senior User
    Thinking of you, Can Girl, and sending lots of love and support!

Regular User
    Hi ladies, yes I'm hanging in there, doing better than I expected, but maybe after my second treatment this coming Wednesday, things might change. My appetite has been good. Have any of you started out this way and then over time lost your appetite? In fact, before my diagnosis for quite a few years I have struggled with 20 lbs or so and have eaten a pretty healthy diet. For some reason now, I'm eating anything I want which isn't good, in fact eating more than I should. I also have experienced a bit of numbness in my fingertips after about the first week post chemo. Last Monday, I noticed that my hair was starting to fall out. By Wednesday, my scalp was so sore and I sat in front of my mirror for 2 hours taking out handfuls of hair. I would say that I've lost about 3/4, with it now being very thin and sparse. I've worn hats for the last 3 days as I am having a hard time with this. We went away for a couple of days to a nice northern beach town. It always does my soul good to get up there but I felt very self conscious. I'm sure in time, I will accept and/or get used to it. I imagine that my hair will probably pretty well be gone by my next treatment on Wednesday. I still have nurses come in to pack my wound but it is getting better. Hopefully not much longer with that. Otherwise I am ok at the moment. I hope everyone is doing well. I keep you all in my prayers. Thanks for thinking of me.

I'm glad you're doing so well! My appetite actually improved during chemo. I have trouble keeping weight on, so that was a nice thing. I'm sorry about the hair. It will grow back, I promise!
    Diagnosed with stage 2c papillary serous cystadenoma borderline malignancy of the ovary in 2009. Hysterectomy, omenectomy, appendectomy, debulking.
    - 2010 - laparoscopy showed inoperable recurrence, so started chemo.
    - Frontline chemo - carboplatin and cyclophosphamide, six cycles
    - Additional chemo regimens: Avastin - ten cycles; Weekly Topotecan - 4 cycles.
    - Spring 2012 developed pleural nodules. Topotecan plus Avastin - 1year.
    - April, 2014, had surgery to remove Aspergillus infection from right lung.
    - September, 2015, started on Megace because my tumors are PR positive. Stopped Megace after three months.
    - September, 2016, hospitalized for shortness of breath and back pain.
    - September, 2016, respiratory failure reversed with prednisone. Maintaining on 50 mg Prednisone per day and supplemental O2.
    - October, 2016 left hospital with no supplemental oxygen. Feeling great! Will start tapering off the prednisone Oct. 10.

Great to hear from you and that you are doing ok.

Glad to see you are still getting out. I know it is hard as a woman to lose our hair. It is very much a part of our identity. Think of it this way, you'll save money on hair products but if you are like me spend money on new hair bandanas. Google or Amazon if you dare lol. My mom is on a chemo rug for her rheumatoid arthritis and naturally has very thin hair because of it and you should see her collection of scarfs, hats and beanie caps. Hoping your wound heals up so that is one less thing you have to contend with.

Keep us posted if you are up to it.

Jodie
    dx - April 20/14
    June 23 - chemo finished
    Married July 19/14
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto