A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Newly diagnosed

Newbie New User

Question Newly diagnosed

Hello all,
    I am a 26 year old mom of two. I had a pap during my pregnancy that came back abnormal due to HPV so my ob/gyn did a Colp but didn't fully examine my cervix due to my pregnancy. Colp came back negative. Fast forward 7 months and during my post partum pap it came back high grade abnormal due to HPV. Scheduled for a Colp and came back precancerous cells. Doctor scheduled me for a LEEP procedure (done in the hospital) and during the procedure he found more spots and removed more. While in recovery he told my husband that he thinks I will need to have a hysterectomy. Yesterday (Saturday) my doctor called me and told me bad news that I have cervical cancer. He didn't tell me what stage just said I needed to be referred to a gynecologic oncologist. Does my ob/gyn know what stage it is based on what he biopsied? I'm absolutely terrified and the thought of having cancer at 26 is nerve wrecking. My post LEEP procedure isn't until 08-02. Should I try to schedule an appointment with the gyno-oncologist in the mean time? Just so confused and trying to make sense of it all for my huband's sanity.

Thank you!

Dear Ashrom,

I am sorry you find yourself here especially at such a young age. Although this is not my area of expertise, I would assume you will be finding out more details on Aug 2. They usually don't like to give too much info over the phone as it is bad enough having to tell someone they have cancer over the phone. I still remember with absolute clarity the look on my husband's face and how his hand shook violently when he was told.

I get that does nothing to help you or your husband now with coping with this news. Can you call and try to get an appointment sooner with your doctor? Of course once you are given news like this you want to know as much as possible as soon as possible. Your ob/gyn will do the referring for you and will likely be the quickest way however being from the US you always have the option of contacting one on your own (I am from Canada). Your can research for where the nearest major cancer centers are to you but I would refrain from researching too much on the condition itself until you know more Even then, we on the forum here call Dr. Google a mortician, he always gives the ugliest, worst case scenarios. Many survivors on here have far exceeds the statistics because that is all they are statistics and they are based on old numbers. And you are not even sure of your stage yet. If you are at an early enough stage and you have a hysterectomy - you may be done right then and there - cured.

The thing to do right now, hard as it is, is to take deeps breaths and keep busy until you have your next appointment and get some more answers. Sounds crazy to you probably but trust me, you need to keep busy. A friend of mine on here once told me to do the things I loved doing the most. It actually really helped to keep my mind busy. Was it a perfect slution? Of course not but it sure helped. That's why I tell others this.

When you have more info let us know. We on this forum are here to help - here to listen when you just need to vent, answer questions the best we can, share our own experiences with you and just walk this road with you and your husband too. He too is welcome to join.

Take care and wishing you well on your next visit.

Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED - no evidence of disease
    Aug 2019 - 5 yrs NED and discharged from cancer clinic!!!!!

Senior User
    Hi, I'm sorry for not seeing your post before. In answer to your question, no, your obgyn. Wouldn't know the stage. Your gynecological oncologist will stage you once she or he checks the surrounding tissue, if the lymph nodes are affected, etc. I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I can relate and am here for you. Your ob has been on top of this so I suspect it was caught early. Cervical cancer has a high survival rate and especially in its early stages (if operable), it is fairly easy to treat. Try to keep busy until your appointment and please let us know how it goes. Wishing you the best.

Ash my, being terrified is a stage I think all go through. I am a caregiver to my husband who has Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. But you have found a wonderful place of support here. People are wonderful here. Stay with us. Many will help, especially Sandydog. She's a sweetheart.
    His fight is over. How brave he was. 47 years of love.

Thank you for your kind thoughts Marian however this poster has not returned since July 24, 2016. We all hope she has done well.
    dx - April 20/14
    June 23 - chemo finished
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

OOPS...I am so bad about checking dates. Sorry!
    His fight is over. How brave he was. 47 years of love.

No worries. Maybe she has email notifications and this will bring her back.
    dx - April 20/14
    June 23 - chemo finished
    Married July 19/14
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto