A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Metastatic SCC no conventional treatment offered

Regular User

Question Metastatic SCC no conventional treatment offered

My partner had a small lesion successfully removed from his tongue in December. In June/July he's had metastatic nodes confirmed in his neck and lungs. These are all small and have no symptoms. At the moment he is not being offered treatment.

I came into this forum looking for something else to try, and it's not good reading. Do we just wait for him to get sick, or is it worthwhile doing things like improving his diet. I've read so much here about what doesn't work I think I'm more depressed than ever.
    Partner to Fred b April, 47 (COPD, ex smoker, osteoporosis, fairly high alcohol use)

1. Complete excision 20x20 ulcerated left posterior tongue base lesion biopsy proven well differentiated SCC (p16 negative) 1/12/2015
    2 Re-excision similar area 29/1/2016 scar tissue with no evidence of dysplasia, SCC in-situ or invasive SCC
    3 CT scan at time no metastatic disease
    4 Left posterior triangle small firm query metastasise
    5 CT scan neck/thorax 28/6/2016 multiple left cervical, bilateral supraclavicular and mediastinal nodes ? pulmonary metastasis
    6 FNA left neck nodes malignant squamous epithelial cells consistent with metastatic SCC

Quote Originally Posted by olwen View Post

I came into this forum looking for something else to try, and it's not good reading. Do we just wait for him to get sick, or is it worthwhile doing things like improving his diet. I've read so much here about what doesn't work I think I'm more depressed than ever.
    Hello, olwen. I'm sorry to hear that your situation is depressing you. Cancer takes a terrible toll on caregivers as well. Keep in mind that this forum focuses on approved medical treatments. Should you focus on things that make your partner feel healthy like improve his diet? Of course. Good nutrition is always important for the body, especially nutrition that will help boost the immune system, and create a healthy cardiovascular function. If your partner is a heavy drinker or smoker, he should probably consider quitting, as neither will help reverse his current condition. Your partner might also elect to participate in yoga, meditation, prayer and many other things--these may put his mind at ease, but they will not destroy the cancer.

Unfortunately, a healthy diet or meditation cannot reverse the effects of metastatic SCC. To my knowledge, only medical treatments can. Your country's healthcare system doesn't seem interested in pursuing medical treatments, and that's a shame. I don't know if an appeal is possible, or if there's any way to pursue treatment outside your country, but you ought to consider it. As I said before, not treating cancer is always an option, but the results of non-treatment with most cancers is not pretty. "Wait and see" might be OK with some things, but your partner's cancer has already metastasized beyond the primary tumor and has invaded the lymphatic system. It will continue to do so unless it is stopped.

You may also read or hear of "alternative" therapies, particularly on the internet. You may read of extraordinary claims, and of previously un-treatable cancers mysteriously disappearing. If those claims were legitimate, they would quickly be proven true and approved for use. They're not, and generally people end up wasting money on snake oil. I would encourage you not to fall prey to such schemes.

Please take care, olwen. Look after yourself, because Fred will undoubtedly need you in the coming months.
    Age 54 Male
    early Feb, 2013 - Noticed almond-sized lump in shaving area, right side of neck. No other "classic" cancer symptoms
    late Feb, 2013 - Visited PCP for check-up, PCP advised as lymphoma. Did blood work, orders for CT-scan, referred to ENT
    3/7/13 - CT-scan inconclusive, endoscopy negative
    3/9/13 - FNA of neck mass
    3/14/13 - Received dx of squamous-cell carcinoma, unknown primary
    3/25/13 - CT-PET scan reveals no other active tumors
    3/26/13 - work/up for IMRT
    4/1/13 - W1, D1 of weekly cetuximab
    4/8/13 - W1, D1 of IMRT
    5/20/13 - complete 8 week regimen of weekly cetuximab
    5/24/13 - Complete 35-day regimen of daily IMRT
    mid-July 2013 - CT-PET scan reveals no active tumors, but shows necrotic tissue at site of original tumor
    early Sept 2013 - partial neck dissection to remove necrotic tissue. Assay shows no cancer present.
    Spring 2014 - No signs of cancer
    Spring 2015 - NED
    Spring 2016 - NED
    Spring 2017 - NED
    Spring 2018 - NED
    Spring 2019 - NED