A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Out of my mind atm..

Regular User
    Got an email from a guy pushing Antioxidant vitamins , any truth to this or just spam?

Edth,,
    Spam, all they want is your money.
    It doesn't work, doesn't help just makes you lighter as there is less money in your purse.

Understandably you want to get on and get it out, thats the normal reaction of everyone but Ohhh if CRC was so simple to diagnose and so easy to treat.
    Treatment plans need to be based on detailed medical data which as you've found does take time to gather and collate but the more data and information they have allows them to decide the best course of action for you.

That doesn't stop you pushing your docs and surgeon for answers and may inject some pace into their decision making.
    Im sure a objective patient giving them a little pressure won't harm and if nothing else give you the satisfaction of knowing you are pushing them rather than sitting back on a wait and see basis.
    I don't say it will put you in the drivers seat, but you will be a backseat passenger with some influence on which way the car goes.

So give the anti ox a miss and go to the medics.
    Best of luck
    Barry
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    October -still the same pains but under semi control.
    Additional chest CT scan ordered for 11th November prior to surgery.
    Sinus surgery done and dusted.
    July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20.
    Prostate Cancer confirmed Gleason 3+3.
    Active surveillance for time being.
    Just a little recurrence and another 20 cm of colon vanished under the knife.

Not all's rosy in the garden, but see following.
    Stop grumbling Baz, your still alive and kicking so far.
    Age and illness doesn't define who we are, but more what we are able to do.
    Motto
    Do what I love doing, when I can until I can't.
    and dodging bullets in the meanwhile.

Experienced User
    Hi Edth,
    Sorry you had to find us butt we have a good group here with lots of useful info. Waiting is hard it seems like a month of Sunday's before your first treatment but it takes time to get blood tests,ct scans and other tests in order to make a game plan. MAke sure you understand the plan and if you don't like it get a second or third option. It's your body and you are incharge. I would,suggest you get a spiral note book or two. Use one for expenses and like co pay and mileage for tax deductions. The other for questions to Doctor and diary on how your feeling. Four ears are better than two at these doctor appointments, I hope you have someone to go with you.
    Don't fall for the herbal remedies and if you do want to try that route make sure you use a holistic Doctor that will work with your medical team. It is very frustrating when friend and family try to tell you that Joes aunts sisters best friends boyfriend cured his cancer by eating purple wall nut upside down and maybe you should try it. It's never them or a close family member. I can tell you I do know a person who tried all the detox stuff, CBD oils ate like a rabbit and did nothing but screw her blood up and died a painful death because she thought big pharm manipulated the doctors.
    Attitude plays a big part in treatment so stay positive ,you got youth on your side and can teach cancer not to mess with you.
    53 yrs old
    4/30/15 colonoscopy Mass found
    5/21/15 staged 3 C rectal cancer
    7/3/15 finished xeloda and radiation 28 rounds
    9/30/15 LAR
    10/29/15 picc line installed
    11/2/15 start chemo 5 fu Oxaliplatin
    3/7/16 Finish Chemo
    3/16/16 C T scan clear pulmonary embolism blood clots in lungs 2
    3/17/16 start lovenox
    4/29/16 Ileostomy Reversal.
    5/1/16 start warfarin
    7/13/16 colonoscopy clear.
    9/10/16 C T scan clear

Regular User
    Yeah, im trying to stay positive.

I do however have nobody to go with me to anything. Very isolated, after surgery is going to be a problem, I have nobody to stay there with me.

Money is also going to be a problem, I have insurance and some savings, but I have been unable to work the last 2 years because of taking care of my father with his cancer.

Don't know if I qualify for any help or not at this point. In the US, single middle aged men usually can't get any help.

Experienced User
    Sorry your doing this solo.
    You could check with your hospital for a local support group that might be able to help you after surgery.
    Also most hospitals have social workers. Might want to talk with one. I'm sure they know the ins and outs with financial help
    53 yrs old
    4/30/15 colonoscopy Mass found
    5/21/15 staged 3 C rectal cancer
    7/3/15 finished xeloda and radiation 28 rounds
    9/30/15 LAR
    10/29/15 picc line installed
    11/2/15 start chemo 5 fu Oxaliplatin
    3/7/16 Finish Chemo
    3/16/16 C T scan clear pulmonary embolism blood clots in lungs 2
    3/17/16 start lovenox
    4/29/16 Ileostomy Reversal.
    5/1/16 start warfarin
    7/13/16 colonoscopy clear.
    9/10/16 C T scan clear

Regular User
    I will be going in Monday 9/12/16 for the surgery, if all goes well, ill post an update Thursday or Friday. Thank you everyone for your support and information!

Edth, Keep a positive outlook. They will get you up and going as quickly as possible following surgery. Keep us posted on how things are going and what the post surgical outcomes are. Sorry you are having to go through this, wishing you good luck and speedy recovery.

doug
    MyJourney:
    August 2004 Colonoscopy Clear
    June-July 2013 Abdominal Discomfort Upper Abdomen X-ray, UltraSound, CTScan all clear
    August 23, 2013 Diagnosed 5cm tumor on rectum wall: adenocarcinoma @age 66
    August-Sept2013 Met with Surgeon,Hematologist and Radiation oncologist
    Oct.-Nov.: Xeloda concurrent with radiation: 25 doses
    November CTScan, MRI and surgeon scoped: Tumor gone, scar tissue
    Jan.6, 2014 Surgery LAR: Rectum removed, sphincter remains: Pathology: no lymph node,
    Tumor downgraded from Possible T3 to T2.
    Feb. - April Chemo:5 FU and Oxilaplatin:6 infusions over 14 weeks
    Sept. 4, 2014 ColonoscopyClear,CT Clear
    Dec. 2014 Follow up BlWk good,CEA .9
    Mar.2015Follow up BlWk continues good, CEA .6
    June 2015 Follow up BlWk good, CEA .7
    Sept2015Followup BlWkgood CEA .7 CT ScanClear NED
    Dec2015SurgicalHerniaRepair surgery, recovering.
    Sept2016Followup BlWkGood CEA .7 CTScanClear NED
    Continue ColoRectal Support Group monthly.

So sorry you are here. Totally agree with previous comments. Write down questions, take notes on responses and if possible take someone with you. Four ears are always better. They are going to say a lot of terms that you are not familiar with and have no idea what they are saying. If you do not understand something, ask for explanations. Do not let them rush you!
    waiting is terrible! Best of luck on this journey.
    Hubby diagnosed in 2005 with Stage IV, January...Journey on this road has had some major obstacles ..... God continues to help us endure each one.... enjoying life and doing as much as possible!

My Carolina Cowboy gained his angel wings in August, 2017, 11 1/2 years with Stage IV. It was an amazing journey on this bumpy road. His attitude in fighting this beast was like no other. He did not want anyone's sympathy or pity so much that a lot of our friends did not even know he was in this battle. Many, many thanks to our super oncologist, surgeons, radiologists, staff, and etc. Most thankful to our God above for letting my soulmate be with me all this time! Amazingly, most of the time in this fight was great! We enjoyed trail riding every chance we had to go and so many other things that life offered to us. Even took a few rides with a 5FU pack. My cowboy was a tough one, John Wayne had nothing on him!

Don't give up! Keep the fighting attitude!! Blessings to all!! May a cure be found!!

Regular User
    so update:

I had surgery on Monday to remove a tumor in my colon....they removed about an 18 inch section and about 20 lymph nodes.

After the biopsy all the nodes, blood test and scans cam back as negative for any signs of cancer! But because of the size of the tumor, they are going to have me do some rounds of chemo just to be 100% positive.

So I have good news, and I hope you all can too!

Great news, edth. Thanks for sharing! Hope you are up and around soon.

doug
    MyJourney:
    August 2004 Colonoscopy Clear
    June-July 2013 Abdominal Discomfort Upper Abdomen X-ray, UltraSound, CTScan all clear
    August 23, 2013 Diagnosed 5cm tumor on rectum wall: adenocarcinoma @age 66
    August-Sept2013 Met with Surgeon,Hematologist and Radiation oncologist
    Oct.-Nov.: Xeloda concurrent with radiation: 25 doses
    November CTScan, MRI and surgeon scoped: Tumor gone, scar tissue
    Jan.6, 2014 Surgery LAR: Rectum removed, sphincter remains: Pathology: no lymph node,
    Tumor downgraded from Possible T3 to T2.
    Feb. - April Chemo:5 FU and Oxilaplatin:6 infusions over 14 weeks
    Sept. 4, 2014 ColonoscopyClear,CT Clear
    Dec. 2014 Follow up BlWk good,CEA .9
    Mar.2015Follow up BlWk continues good, CEA .6
    June 2015 Follow up BlWk good, CEA .7
    Sept2015Followup BlWkgood CEA .7 CT ScanClear NED
    Dec2015SurgicalHerniaRepair surgery, recovering.
    Sept2016Followup BlWkGood CEA .7 CTScanClear NED
    Continue ColoRectal Support Group monthly.