A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Out of my mind atm..

Regular User

Out of my mind atm..

Thursday, I had a colonoscopy, because I have had blood in my stool for several months. My Dr, told me over and over that it was just hemorrhoids or Colitis because of all the stress I have been under, without ever testing.

With my family history however, I was not comfortable with that, and finally told her, that I wanted a scope done, even though she thought I was too young (im 40) because it didn't change even when I lost weight, ate different foods, or took antacids.

So Thursday, the Dr at a different site goes in, and tells me that I have a mass that is bleeding in my colon. I don't know if it IS cancerous atm, I should know by Tuesday. But he said it did not look good.

He estimated that I would be able to have that section removed and the section above and below it spliced together, he stated that they both looked clear.

My mother died of cancer in 2010, it started just like this, my father died of cancer 2 months ago, that was in his kidney and bladder. They both were huge smokers, and I got the effects of second hand smoke for 30 years or so.

I don't know how to feel, what to do, or who to talk to.

I have anxiety and depression already, this is surely not helping. I try to keep my mind off it by doing things I usually enjoy, but I can't really cling to those in my mind.

I found this forum, and thought I could share with some of you, get some feedback, lessen the load per say.

Thanks for reading.
    Tom.

Regular User
    Quote Originally Posted by edth View Post
    Thursday, I had a colonoscopy, because I have had blood in my stool for several months. My Dr, told me over and over that it was just hemorrhoids or Colitis because of all the stress I have been under, without ever testing.

With my family history however, I was not comfortable with that, and finally told her, that I wanted a scope done, even though she thought I was too young (im 40) because it didn't change even when I lost weight, ate different foods, or took antacids.

So Thursday, the Dr at a different site goes in, and tells me that I have a mass that is bleeding in my colon. I don't know if it IS cancerous atm, I should know by Tuesday. But he said it did not look good.

He estimated that I would be able to have that section removed and the section above and below it spliced together, he stated that they both looked clear.

My mother died of cancer in 2010, it started just like this, my father died of cancer 2 months ago, that was in his kidney and bladder. They both were huge smokers, and I got the effects of second hand smoke for 30 years or so.

I don't know how to feel, what to do, or who to talk to.

I have anxiety and depression already, this is surely not helping. I try to keep my mind off it by doing things I usually enjoy, but I can't really cling to those in my mind.

I found this forum, and thought I could share with some of you, get some feedback, lessen the load per say.

Thanks for reading.
    Tom.
    Hi Tom,

Several months is a long time to wait, but same as me at 35 my GP did almost the same thing, however I pushed my colonoscopy a lot sooner.

That is so weird. My colonoscopy doctor also said the same thing, "it doesn't look good". Wouldn't happen to be in Perth would you.

I know the first couple of weeks will be very hard for you waiting results of biopsy etc and I found this to be the hardest part of the whole process.

The colonoscopy doctors won't confirm if it is cancer or not before the pathology comes back, but just take it one day at a time. Try to stay away from Google.

Good news is it's in your colon, so surgery will be done rather quickly and you will then start chemo.

Make sure to get all your results, MRI, CT scan copies to help you better understand.

Get support from your family it has helped me in so many ways. Keep strong, it won't be as bad as you think it is.

Moderator Top User Fourlegsgood's Avatar
    Hello Tom,

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. All of us who have been in your place know what devastating news it is and your mind is bound to be in turmoil. From being healthy one day it feels like the next day the bottom (no pun intended but I'll leave it in) has dropped out of your life.

As Swordfish says, assuming the diagnosis is confirmed then the next stage will be to have a scan to make sure that there has not been any spread to other parts of the body. Unfortunately the people doing the scan will merely pass on the information to a radiologist to interpret the results and so there will be a delay after the scan until you hear the results. That delay is not pleasant but it is something to get used to because there will be various tests along the way with delays before you hear the results. The only thing to say is that colon cancer is usually slow growing so any delay spent investigating and formulating a treatment plan by your team is time well spent.

The other thing to say about colon cancer is that it is now VERY treatable. In fact the doctor that did my colonoscopy said that if he HAD to have any sort of cancer that is the one he would pick.

Also as Swordfish says, please do not try to do research on Google. The information there is usually out of date, particularly with survival percentages. Please be assured that early stage colon cancer is basically curable in most cases.

You are young and will be asking why you have it when you are so young. I would say to turn that on it's head and realise that being young will help you enormously with dealing with the treatment. You do not say how fit you are but you will now have a few weeks before an operation and if possible you would be well advised to use that time to get as fit as possible. Exercise before and after the operation will positively affect the success of the outcome in a big way. Therefore try to use that as something to focus on rather than other aspects during the waiting time.

When you have consultations with your doctor try to write down your questions beforehand and also write down his replies. It is easy to forget afterwards. Also, do try to take a family member as they can help remember what was said etc.

Nick
    Age 1/2 way to 120 plus 1. Symptom of blood in stools May 2011. Colonoscopy June 2011 confirmed rectal cancer. CT scan June 2011 showed no spread to other organs. Anterior resection July 2011 plus 50% bowel removed due to thickening observed during operation. Biopsy confirmed stage 2 in rectum only. Completed 8 cycles of precautionary capecitabine (4600mg Xeloda). Returned to horse riding 6 weeks post op, jumping after 8 weeks and first competition 10 weeks after operation. July 2012, CT scan clear. June 2014, CT scan clear. December 2014, Colonoscopy clear.

Regular User
    I hope it doesn't take several months, I really want this out of here NOW! I am not the most patient person, and with anxiety already through the roof, taking more time will NOT make me feel any better at all.

How i got it is not the question, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt how that occurred.

Told my parents for years, they were killing me , because they refused to go outside to smoke and both smoked over 1 1/2 to 2 packs a day.

Joke's on me I guess, they got to die first.

Tom, I think the several months that Swordfish mentioned was him picking up on what you said in your original post. It is likely to take a few weeks, not months, for the medical team to do tests and to agree the best treatment with you.

Nick
    Age 1/2 way to 120 plus 1. Symptom of blood in stools May 2011. Colonoscopy June 2011 confirmed rectal cancer. CT scan June 2011 showed no spread to other organs. Anterior resection July 2011 plus 50% bowel removed due to thickening observed during operation. Biopsy confirmed stage 2 in rectum only. Completed 8 cycles of precautionary capecitabine (4600mg Xeloda). Returned to horse riding 6 weeks post op, jumping after 8 weeks and first competition 10 weeks after operation. July 2012, CT scan clear. June 2014, CT scan clear. December 2014, Colonoscopy clear.

Regular User
    Thanks, im not really thinking clearly atm.

So Sorry you have to be here under these circumstances but I will say welcome. I have found many helpful folks here and the feedback has been fantastic. I was diagnosed in April very much like you. My doc also said hemorrhoids and I ended up making my own appt. with a Gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy. When I woke up from that the doc was there telling me that he found a mass that was likely cancer. He was correct and I have now completed 4 chemo treatments after undergoing 6 weeks of chemoradiation. In any case, the wait between diagnosis and staging seemed to take forever. I too am impatient but the wait is inevitable since it takes time to test, scan, and evaluate the results.
    Good Luck and don't hesitate to ask us for support or experience.
    Tim
    48 year old Male
    High grade Rectal adenocarcinoma
    Met with Surgeon 4/21/2016 CT Scan and Endorectal Ultrasound ordered
    4/28/16 CT scan done
    5/3 surgeon called to cancel ultrasound, CT scan showed liver Mets and "many" lymph nodes involved. Diagnosed Stage IV.
    5/6/16 Pet scan complete
    Oncologist confirmed stage IV proposed 6 weeks of radiation and 5 FU to start
    5/23/2016 Started Continuous infusion of 5 FU
    5/26/2016 began radiation treatment (scheduled for 28 )
    5/30/16 met with liver surgeon he pronounced that I may be potentially resectable Yay!!!
    6/6/2016. CEA 233.5
    6/20/2016 CEA 86
    6/30/2016 2nd CT scan of liver and pelvic area (waiting on results)
    7/5/2016 Last Radiation treatment CEA 17.5
    7/19/2016 begin FOLFOX with Avastin (scheduled for 12 cycles) CEA 9.8
    9/6/2016 CEA down to 4.0
    9/14/2016 Scan shows all tumors responding to treatment and shrinking YAY!!
    9/27/2016 CEA down again to 3.2

Regular User
    according to the report, It is 7cm and a Medium grade. It looks isolated above and below, as of now they do believe they can do a resection and I should be ok. Not sure on Chemo or not.

I will find about surgery date tomorrow, im pretty nervous.

Tom,

You will be nervous. We all were but you will get through it.

Please do try to take on board my thoughts on fitness. Whatever level of fitness you have at the moment it will help if you try to do some exercise before the operation to improve it. My fitness helped me get through the whole process as well as I did. It will also give you something to focus on before the operation. Here in the UK there have been studies suggesting that moderate exercise can reduce the chance of recurrence of colon cancer by 50 to 60%

Regular User
    no surgery date yet, apparently today was only to schedule the talk with the surgeon...they better move their ass, im not going to wait around.