A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Bleeding started 2 weeks after Colposcopy

Newbie New User

Bleeding started 2 weeks after Colposcopy

Hi ladies,

This is my first post after lurking around for some time. I am a 36 year old female who recently had a Colposcopy done (10/05) and now for the last 4 days I have been having light bleeding. I just figured it was related to the Colp but after doing reading online I see that some women experience bleeding up to 7 days after a Colp. I never had any bleeding until about 10 days after and so I am left to wonder if it is normal. I have never had a history of spotting or having a light bleeding like this. I originally had a Pap that came back CIN 2 (one biopsy) and now I will be having the LEEP procedure done this Friday. I recently had blood work done (usually everything is within range) and found that I am anemic but that my vitamin levels were fine (B12/iron). My primary care doctor said he wanted to have me back in a month to test again and that we would go from there. He said that sometimes heavy periods can cause the anemia etc. I had not had a period in two months when they tested me so I really was doubting that to be the case. Normally my cycle comes every 28 days with the occasional 1 to 2 weeks late. That was the first time I had been so late and then now this time around I am almost three weeks late. I am definitely tired and lethargic all the time and fall asleep pretty much anytime I am still. I just assumed it was my blood sugar levels since I am hypoglycemic. Anyways, I can't help but wonder if the anemia has come from possibly having cancer. Definitely ready for some answers. I have of course read that some women with cervical cancer bleed between periods or after sex which I have never experienced until now and so it just seems odd. This leads me to believe it is likely from the Colposcopy, any other ladies experience bleeding 2 weeks or later after their Colp?

Hello Grace,

Sorry for your concerns. I personally have not experienced what you have described. I did have bleeding for about 10 days after a biopsy.

I really feel you questions are best answered by your doctor. Please be very careful on what your are reading/googling as more often than not google will tell you that you have cancer. Google is our biggest enemy on here as he can stir up such anxiety in people for no good reason.

I strongly feel your best course of action let your doctor know exactly what is going on so they can best help figure out what is going on. One question though - any chance you may be pregnant? Probably a silly question because they probably would have notice changes during the exam or in the blood work but still I thought I would ask.

Wish you the best,

Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED - no evidence of disease
    Aug 2019 - 5 yrs NED and discharged from cancer clinic!!!!!

Newbie New User
    Yes, I know to take everything with a grain of salt but wanted to hear from other ladies that may have experienced the same bleeding. I just saw my doctor for a pre op appointment but forgot to ask about the spotting and since I am not too worried about it I decided not to call. She will be performing the LEEP on Friday. As far as pregnancy it is HIGHLY unlikely. I was two months late last cycle and thought I was after receiving a positive home pregnancy test and then a bunch of negatives. I then had a blood test to be sure and it was also negative followed by a period finally. Then fast forward to now where I was a little over two weeks late and only bleeding very lightly. They have done a urine test each time I have been in the office all which were negative. So, unless my HCG levels are whack I am not pregnant. We have been trying to conceive for over 8 years and have never gotten pregnant.

Quote Originally Posted by jorola View Post
    Hello Grace,

Sorry for your concerns. I personally have not experienced what you have described. I did have bleeding for about 10 days after a biopsy.

I really feel you questions are best answered by your doctor. Please be very careful on what your are reading/googling as more often than not google will tell you that you have cancer. Google is our biggest enemy on here as he can stir up such anxiety in people for no good reason.

I strongly feel your best course of action let your doctor know exactly what is going on so they can best help figure out what is going on. One question though - any chance you may be pregnant? Probably a silly question because they probably would have notice changes during the exam or in the blood work but still I thought I would ask.

Wish you the best,

Jodie

I hope I did not offend you. I know of a women who bleed fairly regularly through her first trimester and did not know she was pregnant because she was already irregular. Others may chime in here yet and provide their experiences and provide you with more feedback. It is frustrating when you forget to mention something to a doctor. You can plan like crazy to tell them but once you get in there things can go so differently than planned or it just slips from your mind and then ya later it rolls through your mind again and again. I guess if all else fails you have Friday but until then you have this playing on your mind. I get that you are not overly stressing but like most, or even just like me, once you have a question, you would like to get an answer and put it to rest and move on.

Sorry I could not be of more help. Still hoping you get an information and positive answer on Friday at least.

Jodie
    dx - April 20/14
    June 23 - chemo finished
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

Newbie New User
    No offense taken

I too think about the possibility of pregnancy even with all the negative urine and the negative blood test. The fact that I got that one positive and then was so late and had extremely sensitive and painful breast for about 1 1/2 months did not help. Then I got my period which was a normal period other than being late and now that I am late again and bleeding so lightly I am left to wonder. There can't be much else they can do other than an ultrasound and I am sure they will think I am crazy and that it would not happen Chances are VERY slim but I would not be too shocked. I pray I am not pregnant because at this point we don't know if it is cancer or not that I am dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by jorola View Post
    I hope I did not offend you. I know of a women who bleed fairly regularly through her first trimester and did not know she was pregnant because she was already irregular. Others may chime in here yet and provide their experiences and provide you with more feedback. It is frustrating when you forget to mention something to a doctor. You can plan like crazy to tell them but once you get in there things can go so differently than planned or it just slips from your mind and then ya later it rolls through your mind again and again. I guess if all else fails you have Friday but until then you have this playing on your mind. I get that you are not overly stressing but like most, or even just like me, once you have a question, you would like to get an answer and put it to rest and move on.

Sorry I could not be of more help. Still hoping you get an information and positive answer on Friday at least.

Jodie

Well I sure hope you get some answers tomorrow. Do let us know. I admit, even i am very perplexed and curious now. Hang in there.
    dx - April 20/14
    June 23 - chemo finished
    Married July 19/14
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto