A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Cancer- the six letter word that changed my life.

Super Moderator Top User
    I think blaming the doctor is very common. I once looked up online reviews of our neuro-oncologist and saw he had 1.8 stars out of 5, and the reviews were just full of anger. And yet he's a good and caring doctor, better than most I've met.

Diapers are really hard to manage. It's a bridge to cross when you come to it; he may approve of the bedside commode later.

Senior User
    For what it's worth - my mother is about 202 and heavy, still uses a walker and wheelchair
    to get from room to room with one of us helping. The bedside commode turned out to be
    so convenient to her and she does use it. I like that we can take it room to room with us.
    Also wears depends underwear to help with accidents if they may happen.

Experienced User
    Thanks. Yeah I'm thinking of using bedside commode and depends.

Any insight on how things end?

Super Moderator Top User
    It seems the great majority of people with GBM will sleep more and more of the day, then ultimately lose consciousness and usually die within a few days of that. (My sister lived six weeks after losing consciousness, but I've never heard of anyone else doing so.)

A unique view of how the endstage feels from the point of view of someone with GBM is preserved here. Australian professor Denis Wright made an extraordinary effort to keep posting to his blog after he had lost the ability to speak.

(I wish this had been available when my sister died, because then I would have realized she was probably much more conscious of what was going on around her than I thought. Also, I had had trouble believing the doctors who kept telling us the tumor didn't cause pain in the endstage... after all they didn't have brain tumors. But it seems it is true.)
    Last edited by GBMsibling; 09-19-2017 at 09:41 PM.