A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No one really wants to be here but...

Newbie New User

No one really wants to be here but...

Here I am. Just found out my mother, age 72, has ovarian cx. We start chemo Monday. I'm her middle child of 3 and we lost our father to esophogeal cx in 2004. It's a long road before us but we'll do our best.

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi

So sorry to have to welcome you here. I hope you can find some meaningful support through this journey. Apart from the specific cancer forums don't forget the coping and support forum...we have a lot of carers here who will have a good feel for what you are going through.

Good luck
    Age 60
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011

NED AND DECLARED CURED on the 2/01/2013

No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Yes Buck, you are so right, none if us want to be here. I am sorry for your mom's diagnosis and the loss of your father. How is your mom holding up? You kids? Is surgery (hysterectomy) eventually planned?

Our parents are who we always turn to. The thought of them not being strong or always there is frightening. They also tend to be very protective of us even still when going through treatment. Not always sharing details in their way of protecting you from the harsh reality of things. I am sure a few members could agree. My own dad has prostrate cancer and trying to get info is like pulling a wisdom tooth with tweezers.

Hang in there Buck. Please visit here for support. We are a caring group. We don't always have answers but we are a virtual shoulder to lean on.

I can move your thread into the ovarian forum if you wish. It may be seen by others with the same condition. As ChemoMan said there also is the Coping and Support area too.

Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by jorola View Post
    Yes Buck, you are so right, none if us want to be here. I am sorry for your mom's diagnosis and the loss of your father. How is your mom holding up? You kids? Is surgery (hysterectomy) eventually planned?

Our parents are who we always turn to. The thought of them not being strong or always there is frightening. They also tend to be very protective of us even still when going through treatment. Not always sharing details in their way of protecting you from the harsh reality of things. I am sure a few members could agree. My own dad has prostrate cancer and trying to get info is like pulling a wisdom tooth with tweezers.

Hang in there Buck. Please visit here for support. We are a caring group. We don't always have answers but we are a virtual shoulder to lean on.

I can move your thread into the ovarian forum if you wish. It may be seen by others with the same condition. As ChemoMan said there also is the Coping and Support area too.

Jodie
    Shes holding up pretty well considering. Dad had an awful time with chemo, radiation and the cx itself so that has her worried. My 11 year old son just knows shes sick. We haven't told him its cx yet.
    Go ahead and move this to the appropriate forum if you don't mind.
    Right now the plan is chemo to reduce the tumors and stop any spread, then surgery. The gyn/oncologist is also a general surgeon. He thinks she has a very good chance at beating this.
    We initially thought it was a gall bladder issue and her primary care provider was moving towards gall bladder surgery.
    I spent last Saturday with her and had noticed something else was going on. Took her to the er for ascites, one thing led to another and here we are a week later prepping for chemo.

There I have moved it. They are moving quickly which is both good and scary I am sure.

Talking to kids about cancer is tough. They usually see it only ending one way and never a good way. Just take your time and keep it simple. Even though he's 11, their minds still only hear so much so keeping it simple helps.

Side effects from treatment vary from person to person but generally have greatly improved since your dad. Hopefully this will be the case for her.

Still good news the dr gave you on her beating this. Keeping a positive attitude is crucial for all involved. Make sure everyone helps. Teamwork is the key for caregiving.

Keep us posted and we'll continue to support you here the best we can.

Jodie
    dx - April 20/14
    June 23 - chemo finished
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

Newbie New User
    We're at the office for the first treatment, they took her back and I'm out here waiting. Lots to learn still. Will check on after she gets her treatment.

How did she do Buck? Remember hydration is extremely important. If there is a dietician available, I recommend talking with them as well. Keeping her weight up and eating the right foods is crucial (foods that do not interfere with what the treatment is doing yet help keep her strength up). Hope all is going well!
    dx - April 20/14
    June 23 - chemo finished
    Married July 19/14
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

Newbie New User
    She did well. The steroids helped her alot. She ate all day yesterday and hydrated well. We were there for almost 7 hours but that included the actual chemo treatment through an iv and the counseling/education that preceded it. She went to have a port placed today and that went well. My wife took her since I had to work. Having a port will help tremendously with blood work and chemo. She's feeling a little pain this evening and tired so I imagine the steroids are wearing off.
    As for diet I've cooked for her some. Things like a smoked pork chop, pinto beans and cornbread, a navy bean soup with some diced veggies(and corn bread), a baked cheese tortellini with meat sauce. Lots of Jello, lots and lots of Jello. A fried egg on toast for breakfast. Things like that. She was craving nuggets from CFA Monday.
    She's up and down a bit emotionally i think so I'm getting used to that. She had always been steady prior to this.

Sorry I have been offline a few few days. Glad to hear she has been doing well. Hope this continues.

Sometimes coming off steroids is painful, especially in the legs.

Wow you have been busy cooking! Oh and you can never go wrong with Jello

This will be trying on her and of course the family. Don't be afraid to seek help if needed. Many times social workers and clergy are around treatment centers for help or seek out other local help if that suits her needs better.

Stay the course. Sending strength to all of you.

Jodie
    dx - April 20/14
    June 23 - chemo finished
    Married July 19/14
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

Newbie New User
    I just realized your name is Jodie. There's a well known joke about that amongst military members. (I'm active duty)
    Seriously though, thanks. First week is down, second treatment is done. We're hoping the ascites starts to diminish in a week or two. That would be a benchmark and tangible sign of progress.
    Overall it was a good week. She needs to hydrate more but her attitude has gotten much better and more upbeat.