A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Surgery after Chemotherapy of Ovarian cancer

Newbie New User

Surgery after Chemotherapy of Ovarian cancer

My mom has completed her 6 cycles of chemotherapy.Her CA 125 levels are drastically reduced from 11200 to 9.9 values.Now Doctor is advising for further surgery.CT scan shows SLIGHT THICKENING OF GREATER OMENTUM IN ABDOMEN.(METASTATIC).NO ASCITES is present as compare to previous scan.From these conclusions what should i assume?

Easy, don't assume. Sorry but we are not drs and cannot comment on this and your best course of action is to go straight to her doctors to clarify what it means. Make sure you write down all your questions prior to the visit so you do not forget any and sit with your mom and her doctors - find out the exact situation she is in and the game plan from there.
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by jorola View Post
    Easy, don't assume. Sorry but we are not drs and cannot comment on this and your best course of action is to go straight to her doctors to clarify what it means. Make sure you write down all your questions prior to the visit so you do not forget any and sit with your mom and her doctors - find out the exact situation she is in and the game plan from there.
    How much surgery is important for stage 4 ovarian cancer patients?Does it improves the over all prognosis?

Dear aliyousuf,

I know you are desperate for answers. I would be too if it was my mom. But I cannot give you the answers you seek. First I am not a doctor and second each situation is so unique in so many ways - where exactly is the cancer, has it metastasized, do they have other medical conditions, what is their overall health, how have they already reacted to previous treatment and so much more, I could go on and on. Again I STRESS go with her to her dr appointment, if she is agreeable with that, and ask your questions to them.

I have closed your other thread as duplicate threads will not help either. We are a support group for those who have been diagnosed with cancer and a support for their families. We offer support through sharing our experiences and being here to listen in the rough times and celebrate successes but again we are not medical professionals.

You are welcome to continue posting about your mom's progress and we can help with general questions and offer support to you as you travel this road with her. But as to predicting her prognosis and interpreting scans, we cannot/will not do this. We leave this to the professionals as I said. If this does not suit your needs, I apologize and wish your mom and you well. There are other sites out there that may suit your needs more.

All the best to you both,

Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same