A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What types of support helped get you through transplant?

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    As to being in-hospital (normal - even if not scheduled), DW spent 24/7 with me, unless she had a short trip to make. And, she had to sleep on one of those folding torture chamber segmented chair-beds in which nothing lines up or is at the same height. Bless her heart for that. However, she then had to watch me in a basically comatose state for much of those two weeks. Not easy on her, so if you decide to do this, please bear in mind that he will be well cared for by the nursing staff - it is YOU who need a break. You need distraction, a sense of normalcy in running errands and doing otherwise boring things. Do not worry about leaving him to do these things, as he will be unaware of your presence at various times - that's just transplant.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TREC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measureable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    01/18 Consented for Kadmon clinical trial of drug KD025, a ROCK2 inhibitor that is believed to help with chronic GvHD.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    To date: 18 chemotherapeutic drugs in 9 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 4 post-transplant immuno-suppressant drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from scanning from 45+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans. Having had both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Senior User
    Thank you, Po. Wow - your wife is a saint, bless her heart! Part of me feels it is my job to do the same thing, but I will not be able to as I have sleep issues and suffer from insomnia, particularly when I travel or am in an unfamiliar situation. I would not be able to sleep and then I wouldn't be any good to anyone! As I understand it, our insurance covers an apt/nearby residence of some type, beginning as soon as my son is hospitalized so I will be sleeping there, in a regular bed and then both of us will live there for a time after he is released, before we head home. But at least I will be close for visiting him every day. I vow to be sensitive to his needs and realize there may be some days when he might want to be left alone. I was hoping I could at least be his "walk the corridors" buddy as I know how important it is to get up and exercise, even if you don't feel like it.

Quote Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
    As to being in-hospital (normal - even if not scheduled), DW spent 24/7 with me, unless she had a short trip to make. And, she had to sleep on one of those folding torture chamber segmented chair-beds in which nothing lines up or is at the same height. Bless her heart for that. However, she then had to watch me in a basically comatose state for much of those two weeks. Not easy on her, so if you decide to do this, please bear in mind that he will be well cared for by the nursing staff - it is YOU who need a break. You need distraction, a sense of normalcy in running errands and doing otherwise boring things. Do not worry about leaving him to do these things, as he will be unaware of your presence at various times - that's just transplant.
    Researcher, advocate, and caregiver to my son, age 24
    July 2016, Diagnosed with Systemic ALCL ALK-neg, DUSP-neg, stage IV, IPI 2, PIT 1, normal LDH, normal B2 microglobulin
    Sept 2016, Third round of E-CHOP complete; PET scan NED
    Nov 2016, Sixth and final round of E-CHOP completed - Continued to live alone and work two jobs through chemo!
    Dec 2016, PET scan NED
    March 2017, Experiencing symptoms: cough and stomach issues. Found two small lumps in neck
    March 2017, CT scan shows relapse. Confirmed by PET
    April 2017, CD-30 confirmed with biopsy; Begin Brentuximab for at least three cycles
    May 2017, Biopsy came back with new diagnosis: Classical Hodgkin's! Likely misdiagnosed initially (by three different pathologists)
    June 2017, Only partial remission with Brentuximab
    July, 2017, ICE x 2 (worst yet). Awaiting PET-CT scan.
    August, 2017, very good response, but not CR, moving forward with ASCT. Outpatient at CBCI in Denver.

Senior User
    Islanders, I also meant to say how great that your husband is through it and has turned the corner! I"m so sorry he had such a hard time with side effects!

I have the same questions you did re transplant (back when you first posted). Is it worth it??? Particularly because my son's case is so unique and complicated. He is ALK-negative, which has a poor prognosis as a group, and they know so little about it, every guideline says to get into a clinical trial as first choice. Second choice is CHOP or some version, and auto stem cell. But due to his young age and other positive prognostics such as normal LDH and B2m levels, he is an anomaly in the ALK-negative realm, putting him more into ALK-positive-like, where transplant is not generally recommended due to very good outcomes from chemo only. But then, he did have a bulky tumor and was stage III with extranodal involvement, putting him in a higher risk category, so do we ignore the young age, etc. due to this? To top it off, he tolerated CHOEP well, and was NED at his last PET (one more is coming) and feels generally well. Does ASCT really give him a better chance at a permanent remission or are we putting him through all this for naught??
    July 2016, Diagnosed with Systemic ALCL ALK-neg, DUSP-neg, stage IV, IPI 2, PIT 1, normal LDH, normal B2 microglobulin
    Nov 2016, Sixth and final round of E-CHOP completed - Continued to live alone and work two jobs through chemo!
    Dec 2016, PET scan NED
    March 2017, Experiencing symptoms: cough and stomach issues. Found two small lumps in neck
    April 2017, CD-30 confirmed with biopsy; Begin Brentuximab for at least three cycles
    May 2017, Biopsy came back with new diagnosis: Classical Hodgkin's! Likely misdiagnosed initially (by three different pathologists)
    August, 2017, very good response, but not CR, moving forward with ASCT. Outpatient at CBCI in Denver.

Experienced User

My tips for getting through SCT

My tips for getting through SCT:
    1) Get some fluffy warm soft fleece blankets - I was always cold. I got mine from Ross. And nice warm fleece pjs, and special warm socks (and hats and scarfs).
    2) Ideally get SCT at place that does a lot of them. I had no choice to go away to SCT as they don't do them in Hawaii.
    3) I was told to try to eat, but that made me feel sick. I felt much better when they hooked up a TPN line and didn't try to eat any more.
    4) I had zero energy so I couldn't talk to visitors but it was nice to see they were there. I was okay checking messages and facebook posts.
    5) I couldn't read as that took too much energy, but I could binge watch TV series on Amazon and Netflix - my favorite? Doc Martin (season 1-5). I could rest Ipad on bed.
    6) It was very boring - I liked having people around but I couldn't always have a conversation - but I liked seeing them, and listening to their stories.
    7) I did go to the art therapy every day! I had to leave early once... but I liked trying to get up and move around.
    I was very detached. I mentally shutdown. I think it was harder on caregivers than me.
    9) Put on as much weight as you can before transplant as you will probably lose weight during transplant.
    10) I had one person sending out updates to everybody so I did not have to deal with individual questions.
    11) Use the commode - dragging an IV with 10 bags blinking like a Xmas tree to toilet takes too long. I put it right next to my bed as I would have peed my pants otherwise (or worse!).

That's all I can think of for now.
    Aloha,
    Alison
    1/31/14 - Dx T cell lymphoma (ALCL ALK-neg CD30) 50+ nodes Stage IIIB
    4/15/2014 - 4 rounds of CHOP. PET scan clean but two new areas. 5th round of CHOP.
    5/15/2014 - New nodes in neck, fever returns, leave for City of Hope
    5/28/2014 - One round of ICE at City of Hope, admitted to hospital, high fever, nodes in lungs.
    6/15/2014 - 3 rounds of Brentuximab, prep for ALLO SCT.
    7/15/2014 - PET scan shows only one active area under port.
    8/7/2014 - ALLO SCT at City of Hope, brother 100% match
    10/7/2014 - Day 60 PET shows same node 1.5cm under port, everything else clean. Reduce immunosuppressants to get GVL effect.
    11/15/2014 - Day 100 PET shows same node is bigger, and there's a new one.
    11/18/2014 - Brentuximab again 5 rounds, return to Hawaii
    11/25/2014 - GVHD skin rash, back on steroids 30mg/day
    1/13/2014 - GVHD eyelids, back on steroids 30mg/day
    2/9/2015 - First clear PET NED
    2/9/2015 - Chronic GVHD, lips, skin, eyes - steroids 5mg/day
    9/31/2017 - Clear scan - NED

Experienced User
    I had different sets of caregivers staying with me. My husband stayed the night, but he was only there for first week of transplant. Then it alternated between my sister and close friend. They both went home in the evening. I really looked forward to seeing them in the morning, and it wasn't a problem that they didn't stay the night. My friend would come in with stories of how she spent the previous evening exploring restaurants as she was from out of town. My husband and sister went for a swim everyday and came back. It was definitely not necessary to be there all the time, but it was great to know they would be coming back soon, and their physical presence was very comforting. Bringing some activity for yourself would help as it gets pretty boring sitting in a hospital. And boring is good. That means nothing really critical is going on.
    4/15/2014 - 4 rounds of CHOP. PET scan clean but two new areas. 5th round of CHOP.
    5/28/2014 - One round of ICE at City of Hope, admitted to hospital, high fever, nodes in lungs.
    10/7/2014 - Day 60 PET shows same node 1.5cm under port, everything else clean. Reduce immunosuppressants to get GVL effect.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Great points, Alison! Immediately post-transplant, you have zero blood numbers. Your body senses this and perceives that you are extremely ill or perhaps even dying. So, energy is automatically conserved, speech becomes a major workout and even thinking is too much trouble at times. The dieticians and physical therapists charge in and give you the old "rah rah rah let's get up and go!" spiel, but I was much more concerned with other things... like breathing.

Did I mention (probably) that eating is major work? I drank protein fruit smoothies which got me through until I had a trace of appetite and could eat some solid food. They gave me Marinol for a few days, just to jump start my appetite. Not to sound too morbid, but transplant is a death and re-birth of sorts, and you cannot fool your body. If all you can do is vegetate, then do that. Then, the day arrives when your marrow wakes up and you have blood cells. A huge overall improvement begins when that happens.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TREC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measureable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    01/18 Consented for Kadmon clinical trial of drug KD025, a ROCK2 inhibitor that is believed to help with chronic GvHD.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    To date: 18 chemotherapeutic drugs in 9 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 4 post-transplant immuno-suppressant drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from scanning from 45+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans. Having had both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Senior User
    Many thanks to everyone that posted here! I wanted to update you that after our appointment this week with Po's doctor, Andrei Shustov at the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, we made the decision not to move forward with stem cell transplant at this time. I will post here what I posted on Kermica's thread (because he asked) for those of you not following there. I know that the posts in this thread will be helpful for others in the future, so thank you again.

Dr. Shustov actually confirmed what I had found in my research. I cried with relief to know that I was not crazy or delusional, and that it is not only a reasonable decision to not move forward with ASCT in my son's case, but Seattle Cancer Care Alliance does not generally recommend frontline ASCT for ALCL. (Apparently the T-Cell experts across the nation are split on this). Part of this is due to the success (86% ORR) of Brentuximab for ALCL, meaning it is available in the event of a relapse, with a very high success rate, to bring someone back into remission and then ASCT (or possibly Allo). There is no definitive evidence either way in frontline, so no right or wrong answer here, which is, obviously, maddening. But to have someone speak to me as a peer, to cite studies and to be on top of the most recent research, was an intense relief.

As some of you know, Brentuximab is in Stage 3 clinical trial for use in frontline in CD30 positive cancers, such as ALCL. Too late for my son, but I pray it will help provide a cure for ALCL in the future in a frontline setting, and become the "Rituximab" of T-Cell!

V-
    Dec 2016, PET scan NED

Experienced User
    This is great news! The best way to get through an SCT is not to have one at all. I'm really glad you updated us as I was very worried about your son. He is not a typical patient in the first place as he is so young.

Senior User
    Thank you, Alison. The one (of many) thing(s) that I couldn't get an answer for from the other doctors was the age factor. The majority of studies have found that when accounting for age (less than 40), ALK-negative and ALK-positive have very similar overall survival stats. Based on that, I wasn't understanding why transplant was the best choice (for a 24-year-old) when it would not be recommended if he was ALK-positive. We know there aren't any guaranteed here. And I know we will all have to live with a lot of scanxiety every three months, but we feel as good as we can about the decision. I'm very grateful to Dr. Shustov.

I'm so glad to see from your signature that Brentiuximab helped you, and you are in remission!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alison60 View Post
    This is great news! The best way to get through an SCT is not to have one at all. I'm really glad you updated us as I was very worried about your son. He is not a typical patient in the first place as he is so young.
    >>
    Dec 2016, PET scan NED

Thanks for posting the information.