A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: I can't believe it...

Newbie New User

Results...

Hello all...I was diagnosed with breast cancer in February of 2014. I completed chemo and had a bilateral mastectomy and was told I was cured. There was no lymph node involvement so it was assumed that I was one of the lucky ones. Well, in October I was seen in ER for chest pain and they found a lung nodule and some ground glass opacities in my lung. I was then referred to a Pulmonologist and she said she was not too concerned because lung nodules could be anything but, of course because of my history, she scheduled me for a PET scan. She also told me that if it DID light up then she would recommend a pneumonectomy because of the location and my history - she did not want to take chances. Today they called to ask me to come in on Wednesday to discuss the findings. My follow up was already scheduled for the 7th but they want me in now on Wednesday - in 2 days. I was expecting a call saying all clear but this has me pretty concerned. Do doctors usually give the all is well results over the phone? My fear is that it is bad news that they want to tell me face to face. I am a single mother of three children and I really do not want to fight this monster again!!!

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Hello Terri

Sorry to hear of your worries and fully understand. I can not guess why your doctor scheduled an appointment to go over the findings. In my experience, good or bad, they schedule appointments expecially to discuss if additional testing is in order.

At this point, if the doctor is concerned of the findings on the Petscan, a biopsy is the logical next step to definitively know if it is cancer. If it is, they will also be able to tell if it is what type of cancer. Since no diagnosis has been made, i have moved your thread to the worried forum

As far as lung nodules, very common and most are benign but due to your history, your doctor is being proactive.

Keep us posted and fingers crossed that things will turn out fine.

Lisa

Super Moderator Top User
    Terri, sorry to hear of your troubles; some people who work in doctor's offices, and even some doctors themselves, are sometimes insensitive clods. Therefore it's quite likely that they had no idea whatsoever how much distress they were going to cause you by changing the date of your appointment.

Deep breaths; you don't have cancer until a biopsy report says you do; worry serves no useful purpose other than to get you to act and you are already being proactive.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Newbie New User

Results...

Good morning friends. I previously posted and was concerned as to why my doctor moved my appointment to go over PET results. I went on Wednesday and she went over all the results with me. They were;

Hypermetabolic right supraclavicular lymph node, as well as, a chain of hypermetabolic lymph
    nodes within the right paratracheal region indicative of metastatic disease.

Mild FDG avidity within the 1 cm right posterior apical pulmonary nodule concerning for
    malignancy.

Sclerotic density within the left pedicle of C7 (series 5, image 105) without associated
    hypermetabolic activity. Finding is likely indicative of a bone island, however, cannot exclude
    possible osseous metastasis.

Obviously I am pretty concerned. She still says it COULD be infection but the word metastasis seems to be showing up ALOT in the radiologist's report. I had a bronchoscopy yesterday for them to biopsy a couple of lymph nodes. I am awaiting results anxiously. To me, it sounds as if the cancer is likely back. I know no one on here is a doctor but has anyone gotten results that is "indicative of metastatic disease" that was something as simple as infection? Also, if it is stage 4 breast cancer now - does that make me eligible for disability? I do not know how I will continue to work if I am going through chemo.

Super Moderator Top User
    Radiologists are more or less required to deliver the worst-case scenario in their reports. Until the biopsy reports comes in and says it's cancer, it isn't.

If it turns out that you can't work due to illness and treatment, then you are elibigible for disability. To apply you'll need to go to the social security office with the exact diagnosis plus all the contact info for your doctor and your employer. But that's down the road.

Newbie New User

I can't believe it...

Hello all! I just found out yesterday that my breast cancer has returned and spread to my lymph nodes near lungs. I am heartbroken. I was node negative back in 2014 when they removed my breasts. I thought for sure that I had beaten it. No I am so scared. I feel like I my death certificate has just been signed. I do not feel terrible - I never would have even guessed. How long do people have when it reached this stage? Can I have a somewhat normal life or will it all be chemo and sickness? I feel like I am on the verge of a panic/ emotional breakdown every second of the day. I guess I am really needing some words of encouragement. I need someone to tell me that I will be alright. That this doesn't mean it is over. Has anyone else been where I am and have any good news for me? I know I sound like a lunatic but this is really tough and I can't let my children see that I am actually this terrified.

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Hello Terri and so sorry the results showed what you feared and of course it is understandable how scared and worried for your children you are.

I can not begin to speculate on the course this will take as I am not well versed in Breast Cancer. The only thing I can offer is support and a lending ear. I also recommend, you seek out a the best possible cancer center, one that specializes in breast cancer and has many treatment options.

Once this news settles, you will be in a better frame of mind on putting an action plan together. Please do let us know how it goes and again, if you need a place to vent, we are good listeners.

Lisa